PDA

View Full Version : Eotech 558 vs. EXPS3?

Kotuku
12-14-14, 21:47
Anyone try the new 558 or have any thoughts on a comparison?

StingerDan
12-15-14, 12:00
Everything looks the same with one exception. It has the LBC (Laser Battery Cap) Compatibility. And it weighs a couple more oz. So If you want to run a laser, it's for you. If not, well then, not so much. Dan.

Kotuku
12-15-14, 12:42
Thanks!

Something else I noticed is that the 558 takes lithium or alkaline AA batteries vs. 123 lithium for the EXP.

freefly
12-15-14, 13:34
Everything looks the same with one exception. It has the LBC (Laser Battery Cap) Compatibility. And it weighs a couple more oz. So If you want to run a laser, it's for you. If not, well then, not so much. Dan.
+1

Besides the (potentially) better battery life and the ability to pop on a $300 or $400 laser/IR battery cover, I don't see any advantage over the EXPS. The 558 is bigger, heavier, and takes up more rail real estate. If you intend to save money on batteries and just use standard alkaline AAs, then the battery life is the same as the EXPS. Personally I see the AA battery option as being a disadvantage. I prefer to stick with one battery platform, and everything I own runs on CR123s. YMMV.

Kotuku
12-15-14, 13:48
Really helpful. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.