PDA

View Full Version : The gotM4fender

ToddG
06-27-08, 19:37
Picked up my new(-ish) AR today from gotM4 at Virginia Arms. It's built on a Bushmaster ban-era lower I had lying around already going completely unused.

He put together the upper for me, which is a 16" 1:7 mid-length with 12" DD rail. I have absolutely no idea who made any of the components except for the rail, and that's because I have the box the rail came in. :cool:

Shot it today at the range, 150 rounds without a hitch. I was making 3x5 card shots at 25yd in about a second, which is acceptable for a guy who hasn't fired a long gun in more than a year. And to be honest, for me, a 25yd shot means I'm shooting someone outside the fence line at my little townhouse. :cool:

That was with an old Aimpoint. The gun still needs a BUIS rear sight, rail covers (holy crap the rail was hot after 150 rounds), and most importantly a stock to replace my fancy retro ban-era fixed stock. Once I get all that stuff together, I'll post pics of the new tool.

Oh, I also picked up a couple of these new PMAG magazines. You guys might not have heard of them yet, but they work great. ;)

Jay Cunningham
06-27-08, 20:02
a 16" 1:7 mid-length with 12" DD rail

That's exactly what I'm running right now - sounds good!

ToddG
06-27-08, 20:12
You probably know who made your barrel, receiver, bolt, etc. though. :cool:

Jay Cunningham
06-27-08, 20:15
You probably know who made your barrel sabre, receiver sabre, bolt colt, etc. though. :cool:

:D ......

lindertw
06-27-08, 20:33
...holy crap the rail was hot after 150 rounds...

I saw you put the vertical grip on before I left the range. I'm sure gotm4 set you up with quality bits, even if you can't name them :p

ToddG
06-27-08, 22:20
What lindertw left out of that story was that, before I put the VFG on the gun, he opined that the gun must get real hot and I said nah, it's not so bad.

Two mags later, it was so bad.

M4arc
06-28-08, 06:47
Pictures man, where are the pictures? Geez....

ToddG
06-28-08, 07:50
No pics 'til it's done. Still working out the stock and rear sight. If you want to see pics badly enough, just send me a UBR and a Troy FBS-RA1.SKD, I promise to install them and have pics up within 24 hours. :cool:

ToddG
07-17-08, 17:04
Well, it's mostly done. I'm still deciding what to do for a rear BUIS and my tan-colored Insight Typhoon is on its way, but this is basically it until I get up the nerve to rattle can it.

Some very quick pics:

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_todd1080TLG_2973.JPG

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_todd1080TLG_2970.JPG

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_todd1080TLG_2967.JPG

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_todd1080TLG_2971.JPG
(my old school LaRue mount, which I've had as long as I've had the Aimpoint ... about 8 years)

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_todd1080TLG_2972.JPG

Wes1977
07-17-08, 17:06
Oh, I also picked up a couple of these new PMAG magazines. You guys might not have heard of them yet, but they work great. ;)

They are probably the most popular mags on this site. Ok i missed your post count and wink.

Robb Jensen
07-17-08, 17:52
It looks great brother! :D

lindertw
07-17-08, 17:57
Good looking setup; that old school LaRue mount reminds me of a heim joint :D

Robb Jensen
07-17-08, 18:03
Good looking setup; that old school LaRue mount reminds me of a heim joint :D

Hey no talking about narcotics, this is a family friendly forum.....j/k ;)

ToddG
07-17-08, 18:14
It looks great brother! :D

You should know!

Anyone looking to have an AR put together, I can't recommend Robb and Virginia Arms highly enough. Every time I had a question, I got a good answer instead of an expensive answer. Robb took the time to figure out what my likely needs and wants were and steer me in the direction of getting kit that would work for me. His knowledge of the seemingly endless options when it comes to rails, mounts, accessories, etc. was mind boggling ... which won't surprise anyone who's been on M4Carbine for long.

Also a thank you to Grant at G&R, who was able to get me the specific items that Virginia Arms didn't have in stock, like the FDE MIAD and the FDE XTM covers ... all of which Robb offered to install anyway, just to finish the project.

Now I just need to learn how to shoot it. Which part is the shoulder thingy that flips up?

(in all seriousness, it's had a whopping 600rd through it so far with no foibles ... and no cleaning, no lube, no responsible adult supervision ... I'm really not good to guns)

LOKNLOD
07-17-08, 18:16
Todd, that's a great looking setup.

And that old school Larue mount is neat. I didn't know they'd been around that long...

LTPhoon
07-17-08, 20:41
Todd, I love that hat! Nice rifle, too.

10MMGary
07-18-08, 01:26
I have a White Oak Armament Wylde chambered stainless steel 1/7 twist 16 inch medium contour barrel. It came with an ambi barrel exstention a mid length gas system. I added a LaRue 12 inch quad rail system and a PRI/MSTN quiet control muzzle brake. The upper is a Stag Arm lefty flat top with CMT BCG. I shoot 62gr and up projectiles with most being 77gr, with my hand loads it is now more accurate than I can be. From a bench with a scope in a LaRue QD mount and in the hands of a skilled rifleman(actually with two different skilled riflemen so far) it has repetedly shot multiple 10 shot groups into one inch or less at a measured 135 yards.