PDA

View Full Version : MAC looks at the Desert Tech MDR Bullpup Rifle prototype

BBossman
12-16-14, 06:16
I have no interest in bullpups, but found this interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSZ-jrr4LU4

Digital_Damage
12-16-14, 08:27
been looking at a tavor, this is going to have me waiting to see the MSRP. Very interested.

Allen
12-16-14, 09:47
Last year at shot the numbers were ~$2100 for the 5.56 and ~$2500 for the .308.
Allen

WickedWillis
12-16-14, 14:05
I really love the idea and the thought behind the rifle. It seems to me though, these guys really are having one hell of a time coming up with the actual build. MAC kept mentioning all these 3D printed guns, and the only one that worked was the .308. I see these guys kind of getting smashed under the pressure they've put on themselves a little bit. I hope it's not the case, but just my little observation.

j-ro
12-16-14, 14:06
I like it.

KalashniKEV
12-16-14, 16:42
IIRC there are some pretty dainty little springs used to achieve the forward ejection.

It would have been nice to get a look inside.

teutonicpolymer
12-16-14, 16:53
I don't get the point in forward ejection if you can switch the ejection port side on the fly

montrala
12-16-14, 17:46
Except forward ejection it looks awfully close to MSBS-B, that was presented in 3D prototype on 2013 Shot Show (1 year before MDR 3D prototype was presented). Actually this mock-up was from 2011 and in 2013 FB Radom already had working guns only did not brought them (only MSBS-K was presented in semi-final version on 2103 Shot Show).

Actually in MSBS-B ejects in a way that shooter can change shoulders and do not worry on cases hitting face (ejection direction of course can be changed, but not during shooting ;) ). You can see it on this video around 0:50

http://youtu.be/R-4G1Bo_jgA

w3453l
12-16-14, 17:53
I might have missed it but when he said 8 lbs. was that in reference to the 5.56 or 308?

Sensei
12-16-14, 21:36
I might have missed it but when he said 8 lbs. was that in reference to the 5.56 or 308?

My suspicion is that 8 lbs will be somewhere between the 5.56 and .308. Keep in mind that the only difference between the two calibers is the barrel and bolt. Thus, there should be very little difference in weight between the 2 calibers assuming the same barrel length.

As someone who owns (and shoots at least monthly) a DTA SRS, I can attest that these guys have solved the riddle of the bullpup trigger. My DTA chassis has a crisp 2.5-3 lbs trigger pull depending on where I place my Timeny guage. I'm game in a couple of years once it is vetted by the usual impatient beta testers. ;)

w3453l
12-18-14, 21:42
If the 308 turns out to be under 8 lbs that will be impressive - they did say they will still try to cut some more weight.

Beat Trash
12-19-14, 10:15
I've been thinking about a Tavor within the next 6 months, but this might cause me to hold off and see what becomes of this project.

Defaultmp3
12-19-14, 10:36
If the 308 turns out to be under 8 lbs that will be impressive - they did say they will still try to cut some more weight.

Guys, y'all do realize that there is a website with this information? You know, one by the manufacturer: http://deserttech.com/mdr.php

But yes, the weights given are 7.5 lbs. for the 16" rifles, 7.12 lbs. for the 10.5. They post the same weight, regardless of caliber, so who knows how accurate their specs are, but for now, I'm confident that the 7.62 MDR is probably sub-8 lbs.

lj_1187
12-19-14, 11:52
The guns and tactics review says they are sending a prototype to SOCOM to hear their take and any changes or improvements. Also says an unnamed suppressor company is making a suppressor specifically for the MDR. I'm very excited to see some torture testing.

SamM
12-20-14, 17:24
The MDR looks like an awesome rifle. Desert Tech makes some great stuff. Not sure that the MDR will make me abandon my Tavor though. The multi-caliber feature is not something that I need in this type of weapon. Packing around a bunch of .308 ammo is not easy. One of the reasons the military dumped it as a primary combat round.

One thing to remember is that, this rifle is basically designed to use the .308 cartridge. Other cartridges are going to be a compromise. It's not a surprise that the .308 caliber MDR is only one that is reliable. The MDR was designed for it. Getting it to work with smaller cartridges will be the trick and the real compromise. That will never change.

My concerns about the MDR are not a criticism of DT. They are attempting to do something that nobody has done. Well maybe Colt. I love the DT rifles and I am a customer as well. I hope this project is successful for them. If it is, I may jump in.

SamM