PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight Interferance?

RyanS
09-23-06, 15:27
Still in the process of trying to figure out what 1-4 optic I want to go with. Stopped by the gun shop today and looked at a NF 1-4. Wow. That is a beautiful scope. Still a little rich for my blood but I won't say it's out the question. Still strongly considering a TR21. On to my question, With any of the 1-4 optics, will my front sight interfere with the optic? I was looking at some pictures of rifles and the vast majority who have variable power scopes either don't have iron sights or have fold away styles. Of those who had a front sight, it looks like it would be in the way when the scope is mounted in an LT SPR.

Nitrox
09-23-06, 19:45
The front sight base will disappear once you start shooting.

Erick Gelhaus
09-23-06, 21:44
Concur with Nitrox. I did not notice the front sight assembly on my M4 with 1.1-4x overseas and I do not notice it now on my work gun with the same optic. Honestly, I can't recall "seeing" it when I ran an Aimpoint either.

TWR
09-25-06, 07:47
One thing I noticed is when the sun was behind me or directly overhead, I'd get quite a bit of glare in the scope from the FSP. Just the blur of the FSP didn't bother me that much but the glare did. I wound up cutting the FSP off the way Bushmaster does on it's varminters.

I also got the same effect with a 1.5-5 and a 3.5-10 powered scope. The FSP was of course more noticable in the 1.5-5 but the glare was equal in both.

Hoplophile
09-25-06, 18:10
One thing I noticed is when the sun was behind me or directly overhead, I'd get quite a bit of glare in the scope from the FSP. Just the blur of the FSP didn't bother me that much but the glare did. I wound up cutting the FSP off the way Bushmaster does on it's varminters.

I also got the same effect with a 1.5-5 and a 3.5-10 powered scope. The FSP was of course more noticable in the 1.5-5 but the glare was equal in both.
I've noticed the same issue. Leaving the front sight base dry helps to reduce the problem but doesn't make it go away. Just another reason to keep a lighter available, IMO. If you don't have a lighter then mud can work too.