PDA

View Full Version : 308

Freddie
12-16-14, 10:22
I'll be in the market for a 308 and I'll have around 2500 or so. What gun would you guys recommend. I kinda like the scar. I searched here but really couldn't find anything on them

GotAmmo
12-16-14, 19:54
Fred,

Start here, then read some more within this section for an answer or atleast the path to finding your answer

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?159115-The-great-308-debate

tmanker
12-16-14, 20:50
Scar 17 or used GAP 10

ArmChairCommando
12-18-14, 23:58
Build one.

ccoker
12-28-14, 16:35
Wilson Combat

COZ ZINZKI
12-28-14, 22:50
Scar 17 or used GAP 10
Go for the SCAR 17 ... after equal comparisons.with other types, ...( weight & reliable accuracy.).... it is top dog.

HKGuns
12-28-14, 23:01
Go for the SCAR 17 ... after equal comparisons.with other types, ...( weight & reliable accuracy.).... it is top dog.

Yep, if weight is your only consideration you're probably correct. However, it falls down the list pretty quickly from there.

ltcal94
12-29-14, 00:50
I would think the SCAR based on your current price point. The next level which includes the MR762 and REPR would add close to another $1000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MistWolf
12-29-14, 06:49
I've been having good results with the M&P-10 but I also think the Colt 901 is worth a close look

FlyingHunter
12-29-14, 17:55
SCAR is good to go.

innercityguy
12-30-14, 01:42
I went the build route after trying to do what you are going thru. So many choices, but always something that I wanted different on the setup, or the wait time was too long. Finally realized I needed to assemble the pieces I wanted. That said, once you go the build route, your head will explode with the multitude of choices and compatibility (Is this going to fit) questions. A good kinda torture, but it will make your head hurt at times.

SOW_0331
12-30-14, 03:51
No offense to those who go the build route, as I'm sure some of you are highly qualified and experienced. But when newcomers to the 7.62 "Precision" guns are starting out, I don't think the build route is the best option. The most heinously butchered guns I've seen were Franken-guns in the .308 variety because there's just that many different, also not so compatible, parts available.

You might pay $700-1000 more, probably a whole lot less these days. But if you go with a rifle that's currently being fielded by many of our mil or allies, you probably won't find yourself without technical support and customer service, aftermarket and spare parts, and hard learned lessons from multiple users. The Mk-17, LMT MWS, KAC, and HK417 are some of the first to come to mind.

Dr69er
12-30-14, 06:49
For what it's worth I would save some coin and buy the JPE LRP-07 rifle for a couple of reasons (IMHO), when using a traditional GIS:

Long term testing of rifle, with excellent QC dept...

Highest quality components and parts used in the rifle...

Excellent manufactures warranty and support if needed...

Highest quality match grade barrels are used like: Douglas, Kreiger, and Lilja...

If your wanting something off the rack with a friendlier Initial cost, I would choose a Amalite AR-10T [A Series] or the lightweight
DPMS GII/G2 (.308 only for now).

If you want better range with less recoil, then I would go with a .260 Remington Caliber or 6.5mm CM Caliber option...

Good luck.

JPB
12-30-14, 10:44
The SCAR hands down. If you can financially reach for a KAC, then that's only other one I'd consider as well.

jerrysimons
12-30-14, 19:40
Do you already have an optic for your intended use? With $2500 for a gun only I would go for an MWS 16" chrome on sale. Also the quality of Rainier Arms DPMS pattern receivers and barrels are supposed to be top notch.

arbob
01-02-15, 21:43
Have you considered ArmaLite? They have models ranging from $999 and up. You have the option of models that take the SR-25 pattern, or the M-14 based magazines. Depending on which model you chose, you`ll have quite a bit of your $2500 budget for accessories like optics. Armalite has been building .308s since the 90`s and has a good track record with accuracy and reliability.

Benito
01-04-15, 02:33
Have you considered ArmaLite? They have models ranging from $999 and up. You have the option of models that take the SR-25 pattern, or the M-14 based magazines. Depending on which model you chose, you`ll have quite a bit of your $2500 budget for accessories like optics. Armalite has been building .308s since the 90`s and has a good track record with accuracy and reliability.

Agreed. I just recently got an AR-10A (this line is compatible with PMags). They have a bunch of different models within the AR-10A. Mine is a chrome-lined 16". Other versions include chrome-lined 20", stainless 16" and stainless 20".
So far, it has been reliable, although I have only shot 150 rounds through it at 100 meters max. Will take it out to longer ranges with decent ammo to see what it can do.
I like factory guns ,as opposed to builds, within the .308 AR's realm.

JPB
01-04-15, 10:52
Agreed. I just recently got an AR-10A (this line is compatible with PMags). They have a bunch of different models within the AR-10A. Mine is a chrome-lined 16". Other versions include chrome-lined 20", stainless 16" and stainless 20".
So far, it has been reliable, although I have only shot 150 rounds through it at 100 meters max. Will take it out to longer ranges with decent ammo to see what it can do.
I like factory guns ,as opposed to builds, within the .308 AR's realm.

I've been real happy with my Armalite as well (16" chrome lined infantry weight barrel). However in this case, the guy has the budget for a SCAR and it sounds like this OP only really wants one battle rifle. Under those circumstances, I'd opt for the SCAR.

Benito
01-04-15, 19:29
I've been real happy with my Armalite as well (16" chrome lined infantry weight barrel). However in this case, the guy has the budget for a SCAR and it sounds like this OP only really wants one battle rifle. Under those circumstances, I'd opt for the SCAR.

Fair enough. The SCAR is a great rifle. I would like it if it took PMags, and there is always the Handl SCAR lower (although I am not up to speed on the feedback on these). Gun budgets, like those of other pursuits, tend to inflate quickly once optics, mags, accessories are added to the mix.

1911-A1
01-05-15, 11:48
I have a SCAR17 after owning many other types of .308 battle rifles. The scar wins in nearly every category. It's lighter, has fewer issues with reliability, is very accurate for a non-precision type rifle, eats any ammo you stick in it, has a folding stock, very low recoil impulse, lots of aftermarket accessories available.

AR10-style rifles tend to be much heavier than you'd expect, and builds can be tricky as there's not as much standardization in the components and specs as in an AR15.

Benito
01-05-15, 22:35
I have a SCAR17 after owning many other types of .308 battle rifles. The scar wins in nearly every category. It's lighter, has fewer issues with reliability, is very accurate for a non-precision type rifle, eats any ammo you stick in it, has a folding stock, very low recoil impulse, lots of aftermarket accessories available.

AR10-style rifles tend to be much heavier than you'd expect, and builds can be tricky as there's not as much standardization in the components and specs as in an AR15.

Not knocking the SCAR17 at all. I have read about the SCAR being harsh on optics. I don't know why this is, or to what extent it is true. Maybe the short stroke piston?

rsilvers
01-06-15, 09:39
KAC would be my first choice. If not, then I would either get a SCAR or a DPMS Gen2 Recon but then paint the barrel black and change the handguard to a Geissele. Actually I wouldn't do that myself, as I am no longer into modifying guns. But for someone who didn't mind modifying guns, then that is an option.

Cold/Bore
01-06-15, 09:41
Not knocking the SCAR17 at all. I have read about the SCAR being harsh on optics. I don't know why this is, or to what extent it is true. Maybe the short stroke piston?

I believe it is due to the heavy bolt carrier and its reciprocating mass. Most optics are designed to handle recoil (rearward force), but not the opposite. It's the heavy bolt carrier slamming forward that supposedly causes issues, or so I've read, but it also appears this is heavily disputed.

rsilvers
01-06-15, 10:55
I think part of the deal with SCAR is that you just get an optic that works with them. I would put my NightForce 1-4 on it, or my Leupold 1-6.

1911-A1
01-06-15, 18:49

It seems to be the case with cheaper optics. I have a 1-6 Super Sniper, and an Aimpoint CompM4 that've had no problems. I wouldn't trust it with an EoTech, Primary Arms, Chinese optic, etc.