PDA

View Full Version : Lionheart lh9c or M&P 9c

emersondm16
12-16-14, 11:55
I turn 21 in January, I am coming home from college for winter furlough and will be looking at options for my first pistol. I have done some research and narrowed my search down to the Lionheart LH9C and the M&P 9c for a carry gun. They both look like great options, the biggest difference to me being one is striker fired and the other is hammer fired. The weight is not a big deal for me and the carrying capacity of both mag's doesn't bother me that much. Can anyone lend some insight on what is going to be a better carry weapon. I obviously have no experience carrying a handgun and would like someone else's opinion as to what I might find a more attractive option. Thanks, I appreciate any help.

VT1032
12-16-14, 12:05
I turn 21 in January, I am coming home from college for winter furlough and will be looking at options for my first pistol. I have done some research and narrowed my search down to the Lionheart LH9C and the M&P 9c for a carry gun. They both look like great options, the biggest difference to me being one is striker fired and the other is hammer fired. The weight is not a big deal for me and the carrying capacity of both mag's doesn't bother me that much. Can anyone lend some insight on what is going to be a better carry weapon. I obviously have no experience carrying a handgun and would like someone else's opinion as to what I might find a more attractive option. Thanks, I appreciate any help.

Glock 19 Gen 4. It's the perfect do everything handgun. It should be everyone's first pistol. Of the two mentioned, I'd lean heavily towards the M&P. They've been around a while, used by a lot of LE agencies and they are proven to be reliable. The other is an unknown. The M&P is a lot shorter in the grip as well and that is the area that prints for me when carrying IWB. They both are pretty chunky so that's a wash.

RAM Engineer
12-16-14, 12:33
I turn 21 in January, I am coming home from college for winter furlough and will be looking at options for my first pistol. I have done some research and narrowed my search down to the Lionheart LH9C and the M&P 9c for a carry gun. They both look like great options...j

I'd be interested in hearing the thought process as to how you arrived at these two particular guns out of everything that's available today. You telling us that might help us to help you a little better.

emersondm16
12-16-14, 13:32
The thought process is as such, from the get go I wanted to look at both hammer fired and striker fired and something that I could carry. To arrive at the LH9c I decided a 1911 was to pricey, regardless of compact or full size models, the sphinx sdp compact is to pricey for me unless I were to really stretch my budget. I looked at cz options and heard good things but couldnt find anything as small as the LH9c. I also heard very promising things about the lh9C from initial reviews and impressions. On the striker fired side of things, I'll be honest I initially only looked at glocks, M&P's, and XD's. I really liked the fact that there are so many after market options for glocks, but I just kept hearing how chunky they carried so I removed it from my list. I heard XD ergonomics and factory triggers were not desirable so removed them from my list. This is how I arrived at both options.

VT1032
12-16-14, 14:04
Glocks are slimmer then either option you mentioned by a fairly large amount. I have ccw'd both a Glock 19, a 26 and an M&P9C and I personally found both the 19 and the 26 to be easier to hide then the M&P9C. I'd still push you towards the 19 and I think a lot of people here will too. It's not much bigger then an M&P9C and you gain 3 extra rounds and a half an inch of barrel. they conceal very easily in the right holster even just under a T shirt and if you are getting just one handgun they are where it's at. They are just as at home in the waistband as they are with a light on a nightstand or in a duty holster.

j-ro
12-16-14, 14:07
Between those two choices I vote for M&P9c. HOWEVER, I prefer the M&P Shield for carry.

Defaultmp3
12-16-14, 14:07
VT1032 was probably trying to post this:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa98/Jefs_01/000_0038_50.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/Jefs_01/media/000_0038_50.jpg.html)

Beyond that, I find it interesting you wanted to look at hammer-fired guns, but did not list H&Ks or Sigs.

Magsz
12-16-14, 14:09
How much time do you actually have behind the wheel?

You really need to go rent a bunch of guns and actually shoot them prior to coming to any kind of conclusion.

Also, something to keep in mind. This will not be your first or your last handgun so try not to get too wrapped around the axle about what you buy. For a first gun purchase, i would without a doubt buy a Glock 19 or a Glock 26 if carry is going to be your primary use of the hand gun.

emersondm16
12-16-14, 14:13
I definitely see what you are saying, and about the HK and Sig option for hammer fired, mainly just cost prohibitive. I really would like to stay below $650.

zlc
12-16-14, 14:19
I definitely see what you are saying, and about the HK and Sig option for hammer fired, mainly just cost prohibitive. I really would like to stay below $650.

I have more handguns then I know what to do with. My first handgun was a GEN2 G19, and I still have it. I would buy a GEN4 G19 and learn the pistol, shoot it a lot and become proficient with it. There is a reason that most of the professionals who train people that go into harms way carry Glocks or M&Ps.

VT1032
12-16-14, 14:19

If you are dead set on hammer fired, look at a Sig P2022. It's one helluva gun for $400 including night sights!!
http://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sp2022-9mm-tutone-n-s-w-holster-1-15rd-mag.html

DA/SA is a more difficult trigger to learn without a doubt. It can be a very fast, accurate trigger if you do your part, but plenty of people dump that first DA shot into the dirt. My first handgun was a Beretta 92 and I loved it, but ended up going the striker fired route and never looking back. Another striker fired option to look at is the new Sig P320C or the subcompact whenever that comes out. Those have been getting pretty rave reviews.

VT1032
12-16-14, 14:22
Biggest thing though is to pick a platform, stick to it, shoot the ever loving piss out of it, then think about whether it's right for you. When I first started out, I jumped from platform to platform never actually learning to shoot. I finally settled on glocks and focused on learning to shoot them rather then what is the latest, greatest whizbang killer of man and I'm a much better shooter for it.

zlc
12-16-14, 14:24
Biggest thing though is to pick a platform, stick to it, shoot the ever loving piss out of it, then think about whether it's right for you. When I first started out, I jumped from platform to platform never actually learning to shoot. I finally settled on glocks and focused on learning to shoot them rather then what is the latest, greatest whizbang killer of man and I'm a much better shooter for it.

THIS.

emersondm16
12-16-14, 14:28
I can run with that. Thanks man.

Defaultmp3
12-16-14, 22:13

USP-Cs can be found for under 850 USD easy (like at Cross Creek Guns (http://crosscreekguns.com/usp.html)). Throw in the 200 USD H&K rebate that they're running (ends at the end of the year), and there you go. They can be run DA/SA (both with and without safety functions), SAO, DAO, and LEM with just some parts conversion. Beyond that, consider why a hammer-fired gun. I have little use for a striker-fired handgun, but that is because of my own special criterion (I strictly AIWB for concealment, and I refuse to AIWB a striker-fired handgun, but do not begrudge others that do). Like many others in here have said, it's hard to beat a Glock 19 for general use, including concealed carry.

brushy bill
12-16-14, 22:54
Horses for courses. As others have said, if you're not wedded to AIWB carry get a Glock 19. If you are, CZ P07 would be my pick (don't have one of these, but great reviews this site).

PatrioticDisorder
12-17-14, 05:43
Glocks are slimmer then either option you mentioned by a fairly large amount. I have ccw'd both a Glock 19, a 26 and an M&P9C and I personally found both the 19 and the 26 to be easier to hide then the M&P9C. I'd still push you towards the 19 and I think a lot of people here will too. It's not much bigger then an M&P9C and you gain 3 extra rounds and a half an inch of barrel. they conceal very easily in the right holster even just under a T shirt and if you are getting just one handgun they are where it's at. They are just as at home in the waistband as they are with a light on a nightstand or in a duty holster.

Try showing the G26 with a loaded mag inserted for a more realistic comparison, M&Pc is much closer to a G26 but with factory mags available with or without the pinky extension. Here in south Florida a G19 is too big for me to conceal but an M&Pc or G26 would be fine, only I get more rounds with the M&Pc. An extra 1/2 of barrel is going to do absolutely nothing for you.

VT1032
12-17-14, 11:50
Just personal preference, but I think the M&P9c size wise fits between a G26 and a G19 except it's wider. I also think 1/2 of barrel can make a difference depending on the length of the barel. Service ammo seems optimized to do best out of barells between 4-5in. 4in vs 4.5in is no big deal, but under 4in, a lot of loads start to have trouble. If you look at shootingthebull410's videos, you will see that a lot of premium 9mm loads fail to expand out of a 3in barrel. I'll take a 4in over a 3.5 any day.

As to carrying a G19 I think it's holster and body type dependant. I carry a G19 under just a t shirt all the time in a crossbreed supertuck, but I'm 6'0" 220lbs with a wrestlers build so I can hide a lot of things easily.

G19A3
12-17-14, 13:03
I had to Google Lionheart lh9c.

The grips look like they cut pieces from a Firestone tire.

WickedWillis
12-17-14, 13:07
Just personal preference, but I think the M&P9c size wise fits between a G26 and a G19 except it's wider. I also think 1/2 of barrel can make a difference depending on the length of the barel. Service ammo seems optimized to do best out of barells between 4-5in. 4in vs 4.5in is no big deal, but under 4in, a lot of loads start to have trouble. If you look at shootingthebull410's videos, you will see that a lot of premium 9mm loads fail to expand out of a 3in barrel. I'll take a 4in over a 3.5 any day.

As to carrying a G19 I think it's holster and body type dependant. I carry a G19 under just a t shirt all the time in a crossbreed supertuck, but I'm 6'0" 220lbs with a wrestlers build so I can hide a lot of things easily.

Except for Federal HST's out of his Shield. They expanded very well.

I have carried the M&P 9C, Glock 26, Glock 27, and the Glock 19. The Glock 27 is the same size as the 26, just chambered in .40 S&W in case you were not aware, and out of those the M&P 9C was the most miserable for me to carry. I hated carrying that gun. It also in my opinion, is the worst M&P that they have. I love the full-size M&P's and I LOVE the Shield in 9mm, it's my Summer carry gun. To me, the Glocks will serve you so much better.

walker2713
12-17-14, 13:21
Glock 19....but if you HAVE to go for a hammer, then I vote for the SIG 2022.

PatrioticDisorder
12-17-14, 17:32

We'll have to agree to disagree on barrel length, virtually all of the modern defensive/duty ammo available do well out of short barrels, even out of a Shield with a 3.1" barrel. We're also almost exactly the same size, I cannot EDC a 19 down here, sure I've carried even my FS M&P on occasion but in this hot climate in professional attire it's difficult (Shield is my EDC as I can pocket carry when needed). The M&Pc is bigger than the 26 but much closer in size to the 26 than the 19 and you get 2 extra rounds. Admittedly the compact M&Ps are my least favorite of the M&P line, I like it much better than the baby Glock and find outside of professional attire, I can carry the compact easily.

M&P15T
12-19-14, 13:50
Yeah, I'd never heard of a Lion Heart before, which means it's not a well-known, established pistol. Therefore, I would avoid it.

OP, Glock pistols do not "carry chunky". They're very slim for their respective sizes, and carry very well. A G19 is the best all-around pistol on the market today, bar none. But whatever you buy, stick with it and get proficient with it.

VT1032
12-19-14, 15:44
Yeah, I'd never heard of a Lion Heart before, which means it's not a well-known, established pistol. Therefore, I would avoid it.

OP, Glock pistols do not "carry chunky". They're very slim for their respective sizes, and carry very well. A G19 is the best all-around pistol on the market today, bar none. But whatever you buy, stick with it and get proficient with it.

For what it's worth, the LH9 is just an updated Daewoo K5, which is the South Korean military's issue sidearm and has been since the 80's. It's not a total unknown, but it doesn't do "it" for me. I'll stick to my glocks.

M&P15T
12-20-14, 09:21
For what it's worth, the LH9 is just an updated Daewoo K5, which is the South Korean military's issue sidearm and has been since the 80's. It's not a total unknown, but it doesn't do "it" for me. I'll stick to my glocks.

I admit my weakness in awareness of what the South Korean military carries.:D

Still, we all know that North Korea is Best Korea!!! LOOOOL!!!

VT1032
12-20-14, 10:21
True... Just buy a tokarev, like they use. State security everywhere has been poppin people in the noggin with those since the 1930's and there still going strong...

Vendetta
12-20-14, 10:36
A few others have brought up the fact that they had to look up the LH company...Ive heard of it...but I would never jump up and have that be my first pistol. Sounds like you've done more research than most, but my vote is still with Glocks. If I could only have 1 pistol, it would be a Glock 19. I carry a 19 in appendix rigs every day and never have a comfort or "chunky" (or whatever you said the Glock issue was) problem with carrying. I bump up to a G17 when it's time to suit up at work, but all my plain clothes stuff has been 99% G19.

CatSnipah
12-20-14, 10:57
I'd never heard of the Lionhearts before 3 months ago when a couple of popular YouTubers did reviews on them. Both seemed to give it good marks, but I'd go with what I know and is proven...the M&P (if those are your only two choices, I mean - neither would be my first choice for a first pistol).

ruchik
12-20-14, 16:31
The LH9C is an updated version of the Daewoo K5. It's been in service since the 90's as South Korea's primary sidearm issued to its military. The gun itself is based on the older Smith and Wesson autos. It's been a proven design for many years. Just because you may not have heard about it doesn't mean it's an unproven platform. It just so happens others on the other side of the Pacific did their own proving for you.

NCGREENSWAMP13
12-21-14, 05:18
I carry my new Vp9 and its working really well for me, buuuuuuuut.....when someone asks me about maybe starting to get it to handguns for defensive purposes. I have a 3 step program for everyone who asks. ( I am by no means an expert on anything but I know my glocks will work when I need them to. Even though they're not my favorite.)

Step 1. Glock 19
Step 2. Ammo
Step 3. Shoot ammo

HD1911
12-21-14, 11:35

Went thru the same exact process. Solid advice.

HKGuns
12-21-14, 11:40
Get the M&P from those two choices.

williejc
12-21-14, 13:11
One reason to avoid a Daewoo product is lack of parts and customer support. The importer of today probably won't be the same one tomorrow.

Start with a Glock 19 and learn the platform. If you are an avid shooter, you'll eventually buy other brands. If you buy a Glock and want something else later, I strongly suggest that you avoid the temptation to sell or trade it. Keep this one.

ruchik
12-22-14, 04:57
One reason to avoid a Daewoo product is lack of parts and customer support. The importer of today probably won't be the same one tomorrow.

Start with a Glock 19 and learn the platform. If you are an avid shooter, you'll eventually buy other brands. If you buy a Glock and want something else later, I strongly suggest that you avoid the temptation to sell or trade it. Keep this one.

As it stands, you can buy every single part on the Lionheart website. True, they may not be around a few years from now, but you could easily stockpile small parts.