PDA

View Full Version : new g19 today.

texasgunhand
12-17-14, 00:11
Bought my first glock today a 19 looking forward to getting some bang time in soon.Is there anything that needs to be done to it,or just load and shoot? Iam gona try and pick up a couple spare mags this week..someone told me to buy the mags for the 17 so they dont pinch your hand on fast reloads any of you guys do this?

SpeedRacer
12-17-14, 00:23
Field strip it, clean it, lube it, shoot it. The 17rd mags do work fine, they are obviously not ideal for carry/concealment though. I've never had issues with the 15rd mags and reloads, but an extra 2 rounds is never a bad thing.

nate89
12-17-14, 00:27
I have average to slightly small hands, and have never had a problem with pinching using the 19 mags. I can get a full grip on a 19 and insert magazines without moving my pinky finger out of the way. I replace the sights, but that is a personal thing. If you don't already have a personal preference for sights, just shoot it and figure that out as you go.

LightningFast
12-17-14, 00:28
Add sights that don't suck and then shoot the hell out of it.

19 vs. 17 mags don't matter.

ggammell
12-17-14, 03:12
If people are routinely pinch hands and fingers while reload a magazine the size they probably need to reconsider how they are reloading.

ucrt
12-17-14, 06:37

If you just want more capacity, just put Glock 2 round mag extensions on your regular 19 mags. You can always just remove them if you don't like them... or just get a few 30+ round mags. ;)

FYI, to me Glock mags are the biggest pain in the buttocks to learn how to take a part. But maybe it's just me...

sL1m
12-17-14, 09:43

If you just want more capacity, just put Glock 2 round mag extensions on your regular 19 mags. You can always just remove them if you don't like them... or just get a few 30+ round mags. ;)

FYI, to me Glock mags are the biggest pain in the buttocks to learn how to take a part. But maybe it's just me...

It's much easier to take the baseplate off if you squeeze the body slightly cause there are two tabs that keep baseplate from moving.

Big A
12-17-14, 10:19
I always have at least one G17 mag w/+2 extension for realoads when CC'ing.

Aaron_B
12-17-14, 10:41
Add sights that don't suck and shoot the hell out of it.

texasgunhand
12-17-14, 12:51
Now i have to stock up on 9mm rounds and buy another ammo can..lol. Been .45 guy for 20 years but its nice to change it up a bit..
Ive been looking at new pistols for awhile thought about the m&p but read here about some issues. And i wanted something
that wouldnt give me problems. And something a little smaller than a 1911 to carry in my truck..
Well i guess ill sit down and clean,lube it then my wife can wrap it up for my xmas present..thanks guys for the info..

Slab
12-17-14, 18:48
Name it

125 mph
12-17-14, 19:45
Glock sights suck, but there's so many options to replace them that you can spend a lot of money trying things out (ask me how I know).

What I would do is get some relatively cheap steel sights with flat edges for manipulations. Defoor sights are a great example if you're cool with all black sights.

After that I'd shoot about 1000 rounds or so before I changed anything else.

I can live with stock gen 4 controls, but with a gen 3 I prefer an extended mag release.

Hank6046
12-17-14, 23:48
congrats, my favorite glock

July4th
12-18-14, 00:21
Field strip it, clean it, lube it, shoot it.

IDK if this recommendation is still current per Glock, it used to be but it's been a while since I bought a Glock. If anyone knows feel free to correct me if it isn't recommended anymore.

OP, there should be gold grease on some areas inside the weapon. This is normal, don't clean/wipe it off. Still lube the weapon, just avoid those areas. Shoot 250 to 300 rounds through it to "bed in" the gold grease. Then clean it like normal.

July4th
12-18-14, 00:23
It's much easier to take the baseplate off if you squeeze the body slightly cause there are two tabs that keep baseplate from moving.
Most of the ones I've come across couldn't be done with one set of hands. Easiest IMO is to use a c clamp.

StrawmanAR
12-18-14, 12:00
New sights for sure. Then I'd recommend extended mag release and slide stop. Congrats on the new gun. Excellent choice.

C4IGrant
12-18-14, 12:08
Bought my first glock today a 19 looking forward to getting some bang time in soon.Is there anything that needs to be done to it,or just load and shoot? Iam gona try and pick up a couple spare mags this week..someone told me to buy the mags for the 17 so they dont pinch your hand on fast reloads any of you guys do this?

Sights. They suck so change them out. If it is a carry weapon, make sure it feeds your carry ammo.

C4

M&P15T
12-18-14, 13:13
IDK if this recommendation is still current per Glock, it used to be but it's been a while since I bought a Glock. If anyone knows feel free to correct me if it isn't recommended anymore.

OP, there should be gold grease on some areas inside the weapon. This is normal, don't clean/wipe it off. Still lube the weapon, just avoid those areas. Shoot 250 to 300 rounds through it to "bed in" the gold grease. Then clean it like normal.

That stuff is anti-seize grease, for when new Glocks sit on shelves or in wharehouses for a long time. You can leave it on or remove it and re-lube the pistol, it doesn't matter.

Wolfhound86
12-18-14, 13:37
Instead of getting a +2 magazine extension just purchase the 17 magazines and add a magazine sleeve. Then you don't have to worry about reliability issues that may or may not arise with the +2 mag extensions.

teutonicpolymer
12-18-14, 21:38
The newer mags are pretty tough to disassemble... I have had to use a C-clamp or slipjoint pliers to depress the sides enough for taking the plate off

M&P15T
12-19-14, 13:29
The newer mags are pretty tough to disassemble... I have had to use a C-clamp or slipjoint pliers to depress the sides enough for taking the plate off

In the past, I've stuck the nose of a pen into the hole, and then muscled the plate off, not worrying about the sides of the mag. I've also use the edge of a table to apply the force.

teutonicpolymer
12-19-14, 13:54
In the past, I've stuck the nose of a pen into the hole, and then muscled the plate off, not worrying about the sides of the mag. I've also use the edge of a table to apply the force.

I have done that and these were the results:
-Bent a steel disassembly tool
-Deformed some of the plastic around the disassmebly hole (doesn't affect function thank goodness)
-Did not get the baseplate off

I just gave up on trying to shear the tabs and started using tools and I saved myself tons of headache. I love Glock magazines except for disassembly. I guess the way the baseplate locking system is designed at least keeps the magazines sturdy while keeping costs down.

M&P15T
12-19-14, 14:07
I have done that and these were the results:
-Bent a steel disassembly tool
-Deformed some of the plastic around the disassmebly hole (doesn't affect function thank goodness)
-Did not get the baseplate off

I just gave up on trying to shear the tabs and started using tools and I saved myself tons of headache. I love Glock magazines except for disassembly. I guess the way the baseplate locking system is designed at least keeps the magazines sturdy while keeping costs down.

Well, they don't need to be taken apart anyways. I've done it in the past just out of curiosity, and once when I dropped a mag in the mud at an IDPA shoot. Other than that, it's really not necessary. Plus, Glock mags are so cheap, they're easily replaceable.

ucrt
12-19-14, 16:22

Some are easy but some are embarrassing trying in front of someone. :)
but this tool is VERY good
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398234/gtul-glock-magazine-disassembly-tool-polymer

But maybe it just me...

t15
12-19-14, 16:39
havent read the whole thread, but if you are thinking about doing glock +2 base plates there are 2 things you should be aware of.

1. if using a +2 on a G19 mag, run a magazine spring out of a G17 mag. if +2 on a g17, there is a glock oem 11 coil spring sold at midwayusa that is meant for this exact use.

2. +2 base plates are infinitely more likely pop off then the regular glock mag plate.

i carry a g19 with a 15rd mag and use g17 mags for reloads. currently experimenting with g17 and +2's taped on that will still insert into a G19, but not a G17 obviously-not ideal. i had an oem happy stick loaded up in a car bag for a while. simply from being jostled around in the car one side of the +2 base plate was 3/4 away from sending the whole base plate off. ive intentionally sent half empty mags with +2's to the deck and haven't been able to get them to explode, but i will not be taking the tape off my happy sticks lol!

JusticeM4
12-20-14, 04:40
Glocks are usually rock solid. Lube and run them as they are. I like mine fully stock. Aftermarket sights are nice but not needed. Same w lighter triggers. If competing they are a must tho.

Vendetta
12-20-14, 08:20
Glocks are usually rock solid. Lube and run them as they are. I like mine fully stock. Aftermarket sights are nice but not needed. Same w lighter triggers. If competing they are a must tho.

I disagree. If the Glock has the plastic sights, then changing them is a must. I've seen way too many broken sights, making it a no go for a gun I'm going to legitimately carry and use.

M&P15T
12-20-14, 08:47
I disagree. If the Glock has the plastic sights, then changing them is a must. I've seen way too many broken sights, making it a no go for a gun I'm going to legitimately carry and use.

I've owned and carried 13 different Glocks, never had a problem with the stock sights, except one time when I had night sights installed, and the front came loose. Where have you seen broken Glock sights?

teutonicpolymer
12-20-14, 08:56
I've owned and carried 13 different Glocks, never had a problem with the stock sights, except one time when I had night sights installed, and the front came loose. Where have you seen broken Glock sights?

The stock steel sights are fine. The stock plastic sights are garbage and you can dent them easily or even completely push the rear sight out with just thumb pressure.

M&P15T
12-20-14, 09:06
The stock steel sights are fine. The stock plastic sights are garbage and you can dent them easily or even completely push the rear sight out with just thumb pressure.

I've dropped a Glock and moved the rear sight before. Getting it back into proper position required more force than just thumb pressure. A work bench, hammer and flat-head screw driver were used to get it back into position. If you can move your rear sight around with just thumb pressure, something is wrong.

teutonicpolymer
12-20-14, 09:19
I've dropped a Glock and moved the rear sight before. Getting it back into proper position required more force than just thumb pressure. A work bench, hammer and flat-head screw driver were used to get it back into position. If you can move your rear sight around with just thumb pressure, something is wrong.

The plastic sights are really not that hard to move, they are hollow

M&P15T
12-20-14, 09:28
The plastic sights are really not that hard to move, they are hollow

No, they're not hollow. And as someone that has owned and carried over a dozen of them, I can tell you they're not that easy to move. It takes real force. Again, if anyone has them moving around with thumb pressure, something is wrong.

Yes, they're cheap. No, they're not for everyone. And yes, the front sights can be ripped off with pliers. But they work just fine for 90% of shooters out there. If you want to replace yours, it's all good. But the bashing here is just getting out of hand.

Pardon my asking, but how many Glock pistols have you owned? And where did you hear that the stock sights are hollow?

ST911
12-20-14, 09:31
My last several NIB G17s and 19s, I opened the box and fired ~100rds through each without attention. A couple went a few hundred. Get good ammo, sights of your choice, lube and shoot.

G17 mags for extra capacity. No sleeves. If using at least a decent grip, you won't have a hand on them anyway, and they can create issues. If you use a G19 mag with an extra capacity floor plate, OEM (#only with the 10 coil spring is best.

I run I-Dot Pros and Trijicon HDs on working Glocks. Checking out a few others as well. I've seen some old model pinned OEM plastic sights come off over the years. The screw-on OEMs are better. Watch for rounding/fraying of the plastic in certain holsters. They can be a wear item, depending on your use. Steel is best if it's an option for you.

Domestically produced, SAAMI-spec ammunition from major manufacturers and those fulfilling with contracts with controls.

skydivr
12-20-14, 09:32
Jeeez.....just go shoot it. It's a great handgun - probably the top 5 handguns of all time (maybe even #1). After you find out it will accurately shoot just about any ammo, in any condition, dirty or clean, then go disassemble and clean it, you will see how brilliant and simple the design is. After you gain confidence, then you can farkle it up all you want later. My only caution is to become very familiar with the safety (how little there actually is) and be fully aware of the consequences. Congrats on your purchase.

Uni-Vibe
12-20-14, 11:27
First thing you do is buy a whole bunch of magazines. Three times as many as you think you need. During the Ban some Glock mags were selling for $125.

Vendetta
12-20-14, 12:08

I've seen three different guys in 2 different Glock classes our department offered have theirs fly off. That's a 3 day class our department gives for those switching to Glocks, and most of them had brand new guns with the factory ones. I've seen another guy manage to smash in a side of the rear sight by carrying it an appendix rig. Those are ones I can think of over the past 2 years or so.

M&P15T
12-20-14, 12:52
I've seen three different guys in 2 different Glock classes our department offered have theirs fly off. That's a 3 day class our department gives for those switching to Glocks, and most of them had brand new guns with the factory ones. I've seen another guy manage to smash in a side of the rear sight by carrying it an appendix rig. Those are ones I can think of over the past 2 years or so.

I'm assuming it was the front sights that flew off? I'm surprised your department issues pistols without night sights.

Vendetta
12-20-14, 18:00
I'm assuming it was the front sights that flew off? I'm surprised your department issues pistols without night sights.

It was the front sight that flew off. Glocks aren't issued, Sigs are. You have to get your own Glock and go through the transition class if you want to switch over.

Some use to get Sigs with the factory Sig sights with just the white, but the majority of them now have night sights.

Warp
12-20-14, 19:33
You can shoot it right out of the box, then clean and lube; or you can add lube and shoot then clean; or you can clean/lube and then shoot...people do it all three ways and I don't know that there is ever a noticeable difference or that it really matters. My preference is to add some lube, shoot it for a hundred or so, then clean/lube. If in doubt just read the manual and do whatever it says.

Agreed on using factory magazines. I wouldn't do a 15 rounder with a +2, just get 17 round G17 mags. I've never really pinched my fingers reloading any of the three frame sizes with any of the various magazine sizes. I always have a hard time taking mags apart. Agreed on a C-clamp to compress the sides a tad to help with those tabs or whatever they are. Thanks to the Midway USA tool link though, I added that to my wish list, I'll probably tack it on next time I order from them.

Other than upgrading the sights there isn't really anything to do other than get more ammo and mags and do do more shooting. I nearly lost an aftermarket front night sight not long ago. Put it back on with some medium thread locker and it seems good to go now. Tons of choices there. I like Ameriglo Pro Operator but, again, lots of choices. You can search and read for hours on that. The sights shouldn't be able to be pushed over with your thumb. I finally broke down and bought a sight pusher so I can remove/install, and adjust, rear sights with ease. A lot of people do the hammer/pusher/vice and tap method, but I'd rather use the tool. It was like $120 though. For a guy with his first Glock you can just have your LGS do it if you don't want to do it youself, varies from free to like $15 for the sight swap IME.

Bluto
12-21-14, 17:25
+1 on using g17 mags. With or without a sleeve. You may end up with a g17 one day. This way you will have already built up a magazine stash.

texasgunhand
12-22-14, 01:21
I have a friend thats a glock armorer.he can do the sights.iam gona shoot the crap outa it for a while,just went and got a couple hundred rounds for it.
Not the fist time ive shot a glock just the first one i bought. Years and years ago when they first came out a friend bought one and it wouldnt fire. You could sqeeze the trigger as hard as you wanted to, it wouldnt fire till you let off and pulled again.
Needless to say since these were duty weapons, i was scared of them for 20 years ,after 20 years ive never seen one mess up so i thought i would give one a try.. My trainer friends have shot thousands and thousands of rounds and love them,and carry them on and off duty.
One swears he has one with 120,000 rounds logged through it. Thats hard to beat.

Fordtough25
12-22-14, 08:18
I put 3 mags through my 19 yesterday just to blow the fuzz out of it from EDC. :) Also disposed of the 2 pumpkins that were leftover, much fun!

platoonDaddy
12-22-14, 14:03
I also purchased another Gen4 G19 and was surprised to see 4 back-straps. My 1st Gen 4 G19 had only two back-straps.

Wonder why they went to 4?

demkofour
12-22-14, 15:12
Original Gen4 models had two backstraps, but thereafter were delivered with four, the "new" two ones being with a beavertail. A small modification was made to the pistol frame to accommodate the beavertails and to lock them in to the frame...

ST911
12-22-14, 15:12
I also purchased another Gen4 G19 and was surprised to see 4 back-straps. My 1st Gen 4 G19 had only two back-straps.

Wonder why they went to 4?

Early gen4s shipped with the inserts that did not have the beavertail. Beavertail came later.

MountainRaven
12-22-14, 16:52

Some are easy but some are embarrassing trying in front of someone. :)
but this tool is VERY good
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/398234/gtul-glock-magazine-disassembly-tool-polymer

But maybe it just me...

That's pretty darned cool. I think I need a couple of those.

Good for you.

Subject Matter Experts such as Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, and "Super Dave" Harrington all recommend swapping out the stock plastic sights. These SMEs and others have been known to refer to the stock plastic Glock sights as "place holders" - things to fill the hole in the front of the slide and the dovetail at the back, for the sights of your choosing.

platoonDaddy
12-22-14, 18:31

Attend about 5 of Pat Goodale handgun classes and the exercise shooting with one hand and racking the slide on your belt, holster, heel, thigh etc. stock rear sight were broken on some students glocks.

texasgunhand
12-22-14, 20:38
Die pumpkin..lol

texasgunhand
12-22-14, 20:41
The trjicon hd with the Orange front sites look awsome, may do a little checking on those.

Teolax
12-22-14, 20:55
The trjicon hd with the Orange front sites look awsome, may do a little checking on those.

My brother has those on his Glock 17 and I really like them. Prefer them to my Warren Tactical and Ameriglo sights on my own Glocks.

texasgunhand
12-23-14, 20:34
One other thing when u guys install the front sight, do you use blue locktight,and if so is there a number to use or is all blue locktight the same?

TacticalMark
12-23-14, 20:46
One other thing when u guys install the front sight, do you use blue locktight,and if so is there a number to use or is all blue locktight the same?
I de-grease everything well usually with brake cleaner and use blue Loctite 242.

teutonicpolymer
12-23-14, 20:50

If you don't use thread locker the front sight will back out almost certainly

Warp
12-23-14, 20:54

Yes.

Virtually all sight/optic type attachment screws on firearms get medium (blue) thread locker.

Otherwise they end up working lose which really sucks.

Bret
12-25-14, 20:45
This thread is pretty timely for me. I told my father that I'd buy him a pistol for Christmas. We reviewed a bunch of pistols that I own and he decided that he likes the G19 the best. I do remember that there were issues with new G19's a couple of years ago. Am I safe to assume that all those issues have been ironed out?

Jackal556
12-25-14, 21:21
This thread is pretty timely for me. I told my father that I'd buy him a pistol for Christmas. We reviewed a bunch of pistols that I own and he decided that he likes the G19 the best. I do remember that there were issues with new G19's a couple of years ago. Am I safe to assume that all those issues have been ironed out?

Yes the issue has been fixed, there was an issue with the dual captive spring and cycling weaker charged ammo.

Wolfhound86
12-25-14, 21:44
I have 1000 rounds through a 2014 gen 4 G19..no issues.

Piston10
12-25-14, 21:54
Just double check for barrel obstruction, then fire away. I have bought several new ones and gone straight to the range and put rounds down them. I have truglo fiber optic sights on two and trijicons on two and meprolites on my 23.

markdh720
12-26-14, 22:58
Today, I broke in my G19 born on 12-4-14. Nary a problem after three hundred rounds. I've got a couple weeks off soon and plan on really breaking her in further.

I tried a buddy's 17 with those Trijicon HDs with the orange front sight. They were quite nice. I've run Ameriglo I dot pros for three years. It's time for a change.

texasgunhand
12-27-14, 18:13
No issue any more shot mine the other day put a box and a half through it no problems,very accurate and the ejection was about 4 oclock all day..first shot dead center in the bulls eye.

DAVID RICHARDS
12-29-14, 14:59
Like everybody else has said. Get some good nightsights. A couple of G17 mags for back-up. And go.

Paradis1142
01-08-15, 19:12
Can't go wrong with the G19

drg6654
01-08-15, 19:19
Bought a G26 and now debating aG19 or G23 as my next!!!

MPchinadoll
01-10-15, 20:19
I have a g26 and LOVE it. I almost got the 19 but this is my main carry gun so I opted for the smaller package. I really like the XS sight systems night sights.

drg6654
01-10-15, 21:08
What holster are you using with your g26?
I have a g26 and LOVE it. I almost got the 19 but this is my main carry gun so I opted for the smaller package. I really like the XS sight systems night sights.

Sikiguya
01-10-15, 23:13
You should also get a 33 round magazine....not because you need one...but because you can!

Wolfhound86
01-10-15, 23:23
Yeah the 33 rounders are nice to have. I own 3 I've never used, but it's peace of mind knowing I have them stashed for the future, and whatever political retardation of our rights awaits in the future.

MPchinadoll
01-11-15, 08:38
What holster are you using with your g26?

The carbon fiber finish BlackHawk SERPA paddle. I Love the holster almost as much as the G26 :)

urbantactic
01-11-15, 14:27
Both my M&P's and Glocks get Dawson Precision sights and at least a thousand rounds through them to determine reliability. Outside of practice, there's not much else needed. Enjoy your purchase!