PDA

View Full Version : Where does one buy quality ammo?

MeanStreaker
12-17-14, 08:42
I've never used any type of really high quality ammo. Is there a good online source you can point me to?

I've always considered myself a pretty good shooter. Over the past several years I've tried to hone field positions, natural point of aim, and all the fundamentals and am to the point where I've been consistently shooting at least 3-4 MOA with milspec ball ammo out to 500 yards without bipods, rests, etc.

My goal is to step it up, take things to the next level, and really buckle down to polish those skills. I'd like to test some match type loads to eek out accuracy.

Onyx Z
12-17-14, 09:24
What caliber? Match or bulk ammo?

MeanStreaker
12-17-14, 09:26
Sorry.

5.56. Match (type).

I have a lot of M193 and 855 on hand as that's all I've ever used, and want to try stepping things up.

Digital_Damage
12-17-14, 09:37
Sorry.

5.56. Match (type).

I have a lot of M193 and 855 on hand as that's all I've ever used, and want to try stepping things up.

If you are on a budget, wideners has some Mod1 IMI available.

TXBK
12-17-14, 09:47
Gunbot.net is an easy way to shop for ammo. I have used it many times, and have done business with many of those that show up there. That CBC 77 gr. OTM is pretty decent and affordable match ammo. It can be found several places including G&R.

markm
12-17-14, 10:15
That CBC 77 gr. OTM is pretty decent and affordable match ammo. It can be found several places including G&R.

That's the best bang for the buck right now. I've heard from guys who've shot it in precision class that it's good stuff.

mizer67
12-18-14, 10:00
I'd look at SG Ammo for anything tipped with a 69 or 77 gr Sierra Match King (SMK), if you're looking for factory ammunition for target work at distances >100 yds.

BuzzinSATX
12-18-14, 10:37
I'd look at SG Ammo for anything tipped with a 69 or 77 gr Sierra Match King (SMK), if you're looking for factory ammunition for target work at distances >100 yds.

I'll second www.sgammo.com. They ship fast and generally have excellent prices.

Take Care,

Buzz

Warp
12-20-14, 19:40
Prvi Partizan 75gr BTHP Match is pretty popular and seems to have a very good combination of accuracy/consistency and price. You should be able to get them for <= $0.50 per round from multiple sources. I'll bet you notice group size reduction readily vs M193 or M855. Go search around and check it out.

Kain
12-20-14, 19:52
SGAmmo is a good sight. As far as match ammo, though not true match grade, if you don't reload Hornady Stell match has shot quite well for me in both 55gr BTHP as well as the 75gr BTHP, at least in 1/7 BCM barrels. The 1/8 RRA barrel does not like the 75gr.

Warp
12-20-14, 21:31
I suppose your titles asks where. In general, these are sites I have ordered ammo from multiple times with good/great results. Different sites are better for different ammo types/rounds/etc, of course.

www.sgammo.com
www.targetsportsusa.com
www.grafs.com
www.aimsurplus.com
www.gandrtactical.com
www.midwayusa.com (often overpriced on ammo, but not always)

sevenhelmet
12-21-14, 07:57
I get most of my ammo from aimsurplus, lucky gunner, or PSA. I recommend a small buy of 2 or 3 types of ammo at first (20-50 rounds of each) to see what you like. Then shop around and don't forget to include shipping costs in your cost-per-round calculation, it can make the difference on finding the better deal.

markm
12-22-14, 05:40
Prvi Partizan 75gr BTHP Match is pretty popular and seems to have a very good combination of accuracy/consistency and price. You should be able to get them for <= $0.50 per round from multiple sources. I'll bet you notice group size reduction readily vs M193 or M855. Go search around and check it out.

PRVI is reliable ammo. And will likely be, as you said, more accurate than M193/M855. But even hand loaded, their 75 gr bullet hasn't proved to be MOA for me.

rcoodyar15
12-22-14, 16:58
if you are ready to step it up as in get the most accuracy from you gun

then it is time to start reloading. It is the only way to find the real potential of you weapon

It is fun, challenging, and you can turn out some great match ammo for the price of regular bulk ammo

quality match ammo can easily cost $1 to !.50 a round

you can turn out better ammo tailored to your gun for match bullet $0.20 to $0.25 powder $0.08 per round Primer $0.03 now that is .223 larger cal. might take twice the powder and the bullet might be a little higher.

TenereGT
12-24-14, 20:26
www.luckygunner.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk