PDA

View Full Version : US ARMY 1911 Springfield Armory information

CHIMO
12-17-14, 17:10
304623046330464I have come into possession of US ARMY issue Springfield Armory 1911. One of 27,855 made between December 1912 and April 1917. The pistol was The front sight is an integral part of the slide and the 'Type III' long hammer has knurling that continues over the rear edge of the hammer spur. The right side of the slide is roll-stamped with the Springfield Armory Spread Eagle/Shield motif followed by "MODEL OF 1911 U.S.ARMY.". The left side of the slide is roll-stamped with the distinctive three-line Colt patent markings followed by "SPRINGFIELD ARMORY/U.S.A." in two lines and the Ordnance 'Shell and Flame' insignia behind the slide serrations. The left side of the frame is roll-stamped with "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" in front of the trigger guard bow and the 'Shell and Flame' insignia above the magazine release. I am looking to sell it but also need to know what its worth. I know they are rare and have seen some estimates between $2000-$4000.I have confirmation that it was carried in the Korean War and it does have some wear. Any information would be appreciated!

bigwagon
12-17-14, 18:34
Two things will have a big effect on value: 1) the condition and originality of the finish, and 2) whether it retains all of its correct Springfield Armory parts, which should be marked in various ways, but primarily with an "S" somewhere.

CHIMO
12-17-14, 19:03
Parts all look to be original. The finish is the original finish though it has wear lol.

Dienekes
12-28-14, 19:27
If original and straight it is a fairly valuable gun. Flayderman's book is informative but prices of course will be dated. I had a nice once circa 1985 and sold it quickly and easily for $1200 then. Now it would be worth at least twice that. If you want top dollar consider a reputable auction site.

BurntMetal
01-05-15, 03:19
Nice, I have a 1914 Springfield with Colt slide that was parkerized at A.A. during WWII, *Mix-Master* I myself and most people consider these molested but worth a little something for it's history.