PDA

View Full Version : Recent 5320.20 experience

BigWaylon
12-17-14, 21:01
Just thought I'd share...

I have some approved 5320.20 forms for the rest if this year, and for next year, for SC (through 12/31/15) & GA (through 9/30/15). I had my 7th SBR approved last month (the PS90), which means I'd now be up to three forms per state since the form only handles three firearms. You used to be able to just write a letter, but lately they've been returning those with a blank 5320.20 and asking you to fill out the form, even though the statute simply says it has to be in writing. I'd heard that some people simply listed additional firearms on the back instead of using additional forms.

So, I decided to take a chance and try something. I used the 5320.20, plus Excel and some fancy cut/paste skills, and created my own form that will hold all seven SBRs. Basically shifted the top of section 5 down, split the boxes in section 4 in half, and added one more line. I saved a version for each of the four states that border mine, as well as a generic version that doesn't have a destination listed. As you'll see on my form below, the only thing handwritten is the year in box 3, and then my signature and date at the bottom. I even have "as trustee" already on the form. This should make the process next year, when I request 2016 dates, take just a couple minutes.

As a note, one of the SBRs has a different barrel/overall length than the Form 1, and one has a different caliber and barrel/overall length. No notification has ever been given to the ATF for any changes. I point that out because some people say it has to match. I do know some examiners have sent forms back, even though there's no statute to back that up.

So...here's what my approved form looks like:

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/D6743956-DCB4-4B8F-ACE5-1164407E132F_zpsr0f0wrxm.jpg

Sent 11/24, approved 12/12, received 12/17.

In addition to the time savings, it'll be nice to only have four forms in my binder instead of twelve, especially since I'm going to print them front/back, so only two sheets of paper. (Of course, I'll have to start over if I file another Form 1)

Bluto
12-17-14, 21:20
That is pretty cool... I always wondered if they would take a homemade form for just this reason! Thanks for testing the waters!

BigWaylon
12-17-14, 21:33
That is pretty cool... I always wondered if they would take a homemade form for just this reason! Thanks for testing the waters!
I fully expected something to cause a problem. And here's why...

I already had forms approved for six of the SBRs for all of 2015 for SC.
I already had forms approved for six of the SBRs through 9/30/15 for GA.
I faxed the VA & TN forms in Saturday night, then worked on the forms a little more and emailed all four on Monday.

So, I was asking for:
1. Adding one SBR for SC
2. Adding one SBR for GA, then extending all seven for 3 additional months
3. Approval for two forms faxed in 48 hours earlier (emailed versions were clearer)

Add that confusion to the fact I altered a government document, and I just knew at least something would have to be redone. I did at least include an explanation of what I hoped the end result would be (regarding either adding a firearm, extending a date, or seeking new approval), so maybe that was enough.

SteyrAUG
12-17-14, 22:30
I wonder if anyone even noticed it wasn't "their" official form.

BigWaylon
12-17-14, 22:37
I wonder if anyone even noticed it wasn't "their" official form.

I thought that as well, at least with the ones I faxed with no cover letter. The email I sent did include a full explanation, including the discussion about the form mentioning a letter in lieu of, as well as the fact some people get approved by putting "see back of form" on the 3rd line.

This is the same examiner that has approved earlier ones for me, as well as F1s and F4s. I'd guess he knows what it looks like.

What I wasn't sure about is how their system worked. If they just used the form to look up the SNs and note the system, or if they actually keep the paper copies of these filed away.

cbx
12-18-14, 12:01
I'm going to bet they didn't even notice the form change.

SteyrAUG
12-18-14, 14:05
I'm going to bet they didn't even notice the form change.

I was going to wonder about the validity of the form in that case, but since the statute only requires "it has to be in writing" and written letters used to be accepted I think this is a brilliant way to cut down on paperwork and still make the NFA examiners happy.

BigWaylon
12-18-14, 14:28
The sample above is was my almost-final revision. All the text is actually text blocks I added. After I sent those in, I made one final revision and I think it's good to go.

Here's the basic idea. Fill in the 5320.20 online with all your info except the firearms and print it. The only thing that needs to be done even slightly different is to use the bottom line (there are 3 available) for the reason to transport. This is the way I added extra area, by shifting the title of Box 5 down a little. There's probably enough room to adapt this to 8 or 9 firearms if needed. Then, all I did was create an Excel file with my firearms data, such that the font and borders line up with the original form. Fill that out, print it, then just lay it across the 5320.20 you printed and put that on a flat bed scanner. Ta-da!! New form.

Also, for my "master copies" I created for each of the 4 states, I put 1/1/ and 12/31/ in the date field. That way I just print, write in the year, sign & date, and I'm done.

If anybody is interested, shoot me a message with your email address (or use the email option) and I'll send you the file. Wouldn't take you much time to do it on your own, but I can save you the headache of figuring out column widths, etc.

I was going to wonder about the validity of the form in that case, but since the statute only requires "it has to be in writing" and written letters used to be accepted I think this is a brilliant way to cut down on paperwork and still make the NFA examiners happy.
I can tell you my forms look a lot better than the image above. That image is a form that I printed here, then copied with my info, then scanned and emailed, then they printed it and approved it, mailed it back, and then I took a picture of it.

Nobody you'd run across would have any idea it wasn't an original form.

The fact that the statute (and even the form itself) simply says it needs to be in writing is why I didn't even hesitate to try this.

SteyrAUG
12-18-14, 18:32
I can tell you my forms look a lot better than the image above. That image is a form that I printed here, then copied with my info, then scanned and emailed, then they printed it and approved it, mailed it back, and then I took a picture of it.

Nobody you'd run across would have any idea it wasn't an original form.

The fact that the statute (and even the form itself) simply says it needs to be in writing is why I didn't even hesitate to try this.

Hell I thought the one you posted looked fine compared to some Form 3s and 4s I've seen which look like they came out of a 1972 mimeograph and then were microfilmed and printed by a gas station receipt printer.

And I was just reinforcing the point you just made again about "being in writing" satisfying any compliance issues.