PDA

View Full Version : Current training, transition for room clearing?

JG007
12-17-14, 23:28
I was under the impression that high level guys were transitioning from side to side with their rifle or handgun when clearing rooms. But I was recently told by someone as legit as it gets, active duty, that they do not. What are the good instructors currently teaching?

Thanks

rickmy
12-19-14, 06:58
Absolutely not. Never seen anyone from any background advocate this. (Other than some yahoo on YouTube.)

sevenhelmet
12-19-14, 07:41
I assume you mean transitioning to offhand? If so, I agree with the above 100%- bad idea.

Mr blasty
12-19-14, 07:56
Kyle defoor's thoughts on the matter :
Kyle Defoor, of Defoor Proformance demostrates ho…: http://youtu.be/Da2oaVMRuQI

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

markm
12-19-14, 08:23
I assume you mean transitioning to offhand? If so, I agree with the above 100%- bad idea.

I'd like some clarification on WTF we're talking about too. ;)

Voodoo_Man
12-19-14, 08:49
No transitions.

markm
12-19-14, 09:22
So we might be talking about switching sides... Are we talking Carbean or Pistol?

lunchbox
12-19-14, 09:55
Kyle defoor's thoughts on the matter :
Kyle Defoor, of Defoor Proformance demostrates ho…: http://youtu.be/Da2oaVMRuQI

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2I like how he mentions which foot forward when pieing corners. Very overlooked in competitions.

Voodoo_Man
12-19-14, 10:00
I like how he mentions which foot forward when pieing corners. Very overlooked in competitions.

LOL, wut?

lunchbox
12-19-14, 10:09
LOL, wut?Ive seen some guys lead with left foot (shooting from right side of cover) take kinda baby steps as they work corner, doing the lean around corner.

Voodoo_Man
12-19-14, 10:21
Ive seen some guys lead with left foot (shooting from right side of cover) take kinda baby steps as they work corner, doing the lean around corner.

As long as they don't get points deducted they won't stop.

JG007
12-19-14, 15:39
So we might be talking about switching sides... Are we talking Carbean or Pistol?

Both -

Surf
12-20-14, 00:34
IMO it depends on several factors. Those factors are based on shooter skill and the situation. I personally don't like to say "never say never and don't always say always". The higher the skill level and the more experience in the individual, the more options. When you are teaching large numbers of people with base level skills, dumbing things down or keeping things simple is often a function based out of necessity. In an ideal world, with all switched on individuals, you want to create thinkers and not just robotic like doers. If skill levels, time and resources are limited, then a KISS method is what works.

MegademiC
12-20-14, 11:13
I thought, with a rifle, shoulder transitions were for working cover. Clearing rooms, especially a residential, or office building, you don't really have cover... at least around here.

Very situation dependent IMO.

Mr blasty
12-20-14, 12:20
I thought, with a rifle, shoulder transitions were for working cover. Clearing rooms, especially a residential, or office building, you don't really have cover... at least around here.

Very situation dependent IMO.

Agreed. It's kinda difficult to have violence of action if your stopping

Koshinn
12-20-14, 14:36
Agreed. It's kinda difficult to have violence of action if your stopping

It does depend on what you're doing and who you have with you.

If you're moving through a building with armor on and a bunch of your buddies who also have armor, you will be clearing rooms and halls differently than if it's just you trying not to make any noise.

Failure2Stop
12-20-14, 15:49
Surf made a profound point:
Proficiency gives options.

There are times that having the long gun in the support shoulder might give an edge. The caveat is that most units do not have the resources to devote to getting support side skill to an acceptable level.

That said, there most certainly are units that do, and that switch shoulders based on advantage, and not limited to use of support/cover.

Mr blasty
12-20-14, 15:50
It does depend on what you're doing and who you have with you.

If you're moving through a building with armor on and a bunch of your buddies who also have armor, you will be clearing rooms and halls differently than if it's just you trying not to make any noise.

Absolutely. This is why it bugs me when someone professes "the way".

echo5whiskey
01-09-15, 03:04
When I was in SOI, they taught to shortstock and transition in certain circumstances in a hallway if we had a team taking a building, but when entering a room itself, we were all about pivots--and I dont mean as in drill movements.

Hootiewho
02-25-15, 05:37
Surf made a profound point:
Proficiency gives options.

There are times that having the long gun in the support shoulder might give an edge. The caveat is that most units do not have the resources to devote to getting support side skill to an acceptable level.

That said, there most certainly are units that do, and that switch shoulders based on advantage, and not limited to use of support/cover.

A good example is going down a right turning stairwell for a right handed shooter. Something where you will be cutting right for a good bit of time. I usually transition sides in this situation.