PDA

View Full Version : Ever Shipped a car?

WillBrink
12-18-14, 11:09
Anyone here ever ship a car? This would be MA to FL. I'm looking to move to FL for either an extended stay (2-3 months) or perm depending on some variables, and have no interest in making that drive. Some people enjoy a long road trip in their car, I do not. It would seem less expensive to ship it than rent one for such a time period, so I wanted to see if anyone has done it and what your experience/feedback/warnings were and other tips. From MA area, I believe there are both train and truck options.

Thanx

KingCobra
12-18-14, 11:21
My best advice is wash your car very well and take photos of every small nick and ding on your vehicle, take a photo of the mileage and any aftermarket items on the vehicle. if you send it closed trailer I wouldn't worry much, but make sure they strap it down properly. if sent open trailer I would invest in some clear 3m Vinyl bra to protect the front of the vehicle, or a cheap leather one from walmart will be fine. Be thorough when you inspect your vehicle when they drop it off and do NOT SIGN for it until you have inspected it. Once you sign, whatever damages is your fault.

WillBrink
12-18-14, 11:23
My best advice is wash your car very well and take photos of every small nick and ding on your vehicle, take a photo of the mileage and any aftermarket items on the vehicle. if you send it closed trailer I wouldn't worry much, but make sure they strap it down properly. if sent open trailer I would invest in some clear 3m Vinyl bra to protect the front of the vehicle, or a cheap leather one from walmart will be fine. Be thorough when you inspect your vehicle when they drop it off and do NOT SIGN for it until you have inspected it. Once you sign, whatever damages is your fault.

Perhaps worth the additional cost of enclosed transport?

SilverBullet432
12-18-14, 12:01
easy, find a carrier with good reviews.

looky here: these guys are based in MA and FL. what a coincidence.
http://www.shipcar.com

Eurodriver
12-18-14, 14:14
I've shipped a car, A Mercedes, and it was taken care of.

I can't tell you much more than find a good carrier, I used Matson IIRC, and documented the car well before shipping. They will go through it with you.

Also, take EVERYTHING out of the car. To include floor mats and even radio faceplates if you have one.

Inkslinger
12-18-14, 14:21
Do you have a friend that would drive it for you? You can get a one way flight back for under $200.

ETA: if you book a month in advance delta has a one way for $97

docsherm
12-18-14, 14:22
You may want to. Check with Amtrak. They had a thing where you could put your car on the train and ride in the passenger car. I think it goes from Boston to Miami. Price was good and you can sleep most of the way.

KingCobra
12-18-14, 14:33
Perhaps worth the additional cost of enclosed transport?

For me it was worth the extra cost. I spend way to much money of stuff to get rock chips and such from open trailers.

if it was like a work truck or beater I wouldn't spend the extra.

TehLlama
12-18-14, 14:37
You may want to. Check with Amtrak. They had a thing where you could put your car on the train and ride in the passenger car. I think it goes from Boston to Miami. Price was good and you can sleep most of the way.

Yeah, as much as that seemed pricy, actually shipping an automobile is always (to me) seemingly ruinously expensive. Only time I bothered with shipping a car was going to Hawaii against my will, and that was still a giant pain. If the Amtrak thing doesn't go well, it may be preferable to look at other seemingly silly options (picking up a lease with just a few months left, or buying a $1000 car to limp through a season and then resell for almost the same cost.

12-18-14, 15:30
Shipped cars across country and between countries. Definitely go enclosed. Take pics of car right before put on. Make sure nice and clean. I always watch the loading. Take off any antennas that you can. To go enclosed from MA to FL will prob. run around $1800. Also, you will not get to pick the exact date the car is picked up on. Your vehicle will be routed with others going the same way.

SilverBullet432
12-18-14, 16:14
Very true. For example, if it was a solo run, and i was to load your car on my gooseneck, and take it 1500 miles, at about 8mpg, id need about $800 just for diesel.

GH41
12-18-14, 16:18
I sort of agree with what Inkslinger said... Get someone to drive it. There are many seniors who deliver cars to and from the north for $100 a day plus fuel cost. A good place to start is your local high end automobile dealership. They use these guys to do dealer trades all the time. I'll bet you can find a dealer who needs a car that is in Fla but doesn't have a car to send south.

SilverBullet432
12-18-14, 16:30
Uship.com :jester:

Eurodriver
12-18-14, 18:33
Sent you an Email, Will.

KingCobra
12-18-14, 19:30
Uship.com :jester:

I watch the show, and looked at them to ship my car, an they wanted almost $28--. I went with the enclosed for 1400.

TacticalMark
12-18-14, 21:50
I've shipped a car, A Mercedes, and it was taken care of.

I can't tell you much more than find a good carrier, I used Matson IIRC, and documented the car well before shipping. They will go through it with you.

Also, take EVERYTHING out of the car. To include floor mats and even radio faceplates if you have one.

I thought Matson only did west coast and Hawaii? Matson would be a good company to use if you have that option.

AKDoug
12-18-14, 22:44
I watch the show, and looked at them to ship my car, an they wanted almost $28--. I went with the enclosed for 1400.

Uship isn't the show, the show just get's it's jobs from Uship. I've used Uship six times, all with excellent results. I got a firewood processor (on it's own trailer) moved from Michigan to Washington for $1800. The lowest bid I got from mainstream trucking companies was $5000. The other stuff I've moved has been small and doesn't really pertain.

SilverBullet432
12-18-14, 23:53
Honestly id charge close to $5k too. I charge 3.50 a mile.

On its own trailer. Would be less obviously.

Honu
12-19-14, 00:12
since I was from Hawaii
I used to ship cars all the time and also shipped some here on the mainland from the east coast to here in AZ

enclosed for sure only time I had a issue was when I cheaped out on a african camping trailer I got from the east coast and did the low bid and got damage they denied etc... was not worth the fight ! lesson learned going to stick to auto carriers and enclosed !

I had nice cars and the shipper was insane good at detailing every little thing on the car that was there to begin with and never had a issue with damage etc...

for sure of course go over good shots and when they give you the detail sheet or whatever its called just make sure its all good

Matson was the Hawaii connection and interisland was young brothers

Jer
12-19-14, 11:03
I shipped a Supra once from New Jersey to Colorado. I will NEVER EVER IN MY LIFE ship another car. Period.

Do yourself a favor and drive it or have someone you know drive it. The possible nightmares you open yourself to having shipped can't even be comprehended by most human beings.

brickboy240
12-19-14, 11:24
It will be very expensive to ship a car with a reputable carrier that might not tear it up. I don't remember what my uncle paid to ship his latest Jaguar but it was high and they dinged it! For what he paid to ship the car them fix the dings...he could have just flown to MI and drove it back to TX much cheaper and not dinged an original paint job.

Is it a car you like? Then I'd drive it down. If it is a beater...take your chances and ship it.

I would never ship my cars...even my old Saab beater! LOL

KingCobra
12-19-14, 11:53
cali to NC... not putting that many miles on my car.. lol I cry because i've put ten on it in 2 years..

Jer
12-19-14, 11:54
cali to NC... not putting that many miles on my car.. lol I cry because i've put ten on it in 2 years..

I'd cry if I owned a car I never drove too.

KingCobra
12-19-14, 12:26

Should have specified. 10k in two years. Lol

SilverBullet432
12-19-14, 14:43
My buddy has a 2014 gmc 3500, he got it new in june, 60k miles already. Ive only put about 15 k on mine since june. Sadly.

Eurodriver
12-19-14, 15:20
Should have specified. 10k in two years. Lol

Honu
12-19-14, 17:55
reputable and good car carriers do a great job accidents on the road are more a chance than in a good carrier

I think if some had issues would have to think it was the cheaper route and not the better carriers

I will say to the islands you have no choice :) but on the mainland shipping is more expensive than driving I imagine so is more to save miles on the car etc... or you just cant do it

Jer
12-19-14, 18:11
reputable and good car carriers do a great job accidents on the road are more a chance than in a good carrier

I think if some had issues would have to think it was the cheaper route and not the better carriers

I will say to the islands you have no choice :) but on the mainland shipping is more expensive than driving I imagine so is more to save miles on the car etc... or you just cant do it

You would think that but you would be wrong. I went with the 'best' carrier of the day and paid additional for 'white glove' delivery in an enclosed trailer and even paid extra so that it would only be loaded once and then unloaded at delivery at my location. I even got taken for a ride once I flew back to Colorado and they extorted me for more money after all the paperwork had been signed and agreed upon and they told me that it wasn't possible to ship the car for what we already agreed upon. After months and thousands of dollars my car showed up one night at about midnight on an open flat bed trailer being pulled by a Ford F-350. It was on the back and I found out that the boat on the front had been picked up in Florida and the tractor behind that had been picked up in Tennessee... both after my car was picked up in Jersey. This means my car was loaded/unloaded not once, not twice but THREE times. On top of that there was damage all over the car and they said that since the contract was agreed upon over the phone (after I was extorted since the original contract was no longer valid) there was ZERO recourse for the damages. Fought them for months/years afterwards and got nowhere. That little transaction ended up costing me tens of thousands of dollars. In fact, for over a decade now I've had 'Do NOT ship with DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers)' as my sig to warn others and I get asked regularly as a result. Not only do I not trust DAS but there is no way in hell I would trust any other carrier ever again. Like I said already, most people can't grasp how much nightmare they are opening themselves up to doing something like this. It's not as simple as most like to make it seem.

WillBrink
09-07-15, 09:53
Currently leaning toward using the Amtrak auto train which I'd get in DC. Would be 7-8 hour drive from MA, then 1000 miles covered on the train which gets me, my stuff, and car to Orlando area for less $$ than shipping + flight costs. . Anyone do the auto train?

hatidua
09-07-15, 10:12
Boston to Orlando is less than 1,300 miles. Get up early, start at 3am, and you'd be there by midnight without getting a single moving company involved.

docsherm
09-07-15, 10:20
Currently leaning toward using the Amtrak auto train which I'd get in DC. Would be 7-8 hour drive from MA, then 1000 miles covered on the train which gets me, my stuff, and car to Orlando area for less $$ than shipping + flight costs. . Anyone do the auto train?

I did it from NC to Orlando. It was a nice trip.

WillBrink
09-07-15, 10:49
I did it from NC to Orlando. It was a nice trip.

With car too? get sleeper?

docsherm
09-07-15, 11:36
With car too? get sleeper?

With a car and yes. It was a nice experience.

TMS951
09-07-15, 12:08
I have bought cars sight unseen a few tes and had them shipped. It has always been straight forward and simple. To me there was not a problem.

I currently have a ar coming to me from CO I just bought. Coming on open trailer, which I don't see how it could be more ware and tear than driving it.

The car arrives the 14th I'll let you know how it went.

I have used the dealers I bought from to organize the shipping. This last car I had it included in the purchase price of the car.