PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint opinions and assistance requested

johnnyringo
12-18-14, 15:34
I recently bought a Colt M4 and I'm trying to make an intelligent decision on optics. I haven't owned an AR rifle for 30+ years. It was a SP1. Now, as you can surmise, I'm a geezer and and not up to speed on all the current technologies.

A few years back, when prices were out of sight, I bought a SAM7R AK47. Later I bought an Aimpoint Pro Patrol red dot and a good quality mount for it. After getting everything mounted, I took it the range to sight it in. After shooting maybe 40-50 rounds I started seeing 3 red dots, closely grouped together. My efforts to zero it in were gone! I asked the range master to aim it and tell me what he saw. He said 3 dots. Two of my friends later, at my home, saw the same thing.

So I called Aimpoint and left messages for a tech fellow by the name of John. I had read good reviews about his service. Never got a return call. After waiting a few weeks, I called again and spoke with another tech who patiently walked me through several tests after which he provided me an R/A number so they could check it themselves.

After a couple of months I received a call from "John" who informs me they had sent it back to the factory (Sweden?) and it checked out perfectly. I asked him what could cause me (and others) to see 3 dots. He huffed and said it damn well is not the Aimpoint! Click!

When it came back I re-installed and....3 dots. Now I don't have the eye sight of a young man, but my vision is 20-25 with some developing cataracts.

So now I'm hesitant to go down that road again, so I'm hoping you resident experts to help me out a bit. I'd appreciate your suggestions. Kindly provide specific make as well as the model numbers. Thanks to all for your time and sage advice. JR

Shao
12-18-14, 15:41
99.9% chance it's your eyes. Time for a checkup.

cop1211
12-18-14, 15:41
Sounds like astigmatism . Try a trijicon tr24 triangle.

Wake27
12-18-14, 15:45
99.9% chance it's your eyes. Time for a checkup.

Sounds like astigmatism . Try a trijicon tr24 triangle.

With that many different people though?

johnnyringo
12-18-14, 15:48
Been there done that. Should I take the range master and my 3 friends as well?

GH41
12-18-14, 16:04
Been there done that. Should I take the range master and my 3 friends as well?

Maybe. Are you trying to aim with the dot? They are meant to be used with both eyes open and focused on the target not looking at the dot.

scoutfsu99
12-18-14, 20:56

They might be unfamiliar with a RDS and how it's supposed to look, much less how it's supposed to be used. If AP checked it out, I'd trust them.

LoveAR
12-18-14, 21:48
After a couple of months I received a call from "John" who informs me they had sent it back to the factory (Sweden?) and it checked out perfectly. I asked him what could cause me (and others) to see 3 dots. He huffed and said it damn well is not the Aimpoint! Click!

That is how AP speaks with customers?

JBecker 72
12-18-14, 21:59

How old were they?

In all seriousness though the PRO doesn't seem to be as clear of a dot as a T1 or M4 in my experience. Another thing is many people crank up the brightness more than is necessary causing the bloom to be worse.

scoutfsu99
12-18-14, 22:11
That is how AP speaks with customers?

John Enloe is known for his excellent CS. I'd bet there is more this story.

johnnyringo
12-19-14, 05:54
As I wrote in my original post, I had read favorable reviews about John, that's why I sought him out first. It is what it is.

ucrt
12-19-14, 08:16

Make a very small pin hole in a piece of paper and hold it centered on and touching the eye piece end of the PRO with the brightness turned down to a visible level.

Looking through the pin hole, if the multitude of dots go away...it ain't the Swede's fault.
Just an idea
But maybe it just me...

johnnyringo
12-19-14, 08:39
Thanks. The other tech fellow I spoke with had me try that while we were on the phone. I did that and it showed 3 dots. I tried to photograph it without success.
That's the reason he assigned me an R/A number.

At this point I'm looking for other quality alternatives. Any suggestions...anyone?? Thanks, JR

Co-gnARR
12-19-14, 08:46
I'm not sure if it has been said before, but I think of the aiming technique like looking at a Magic Eye picture. Your eyes are looking at close range objects but need to focus as if looking at a long range object. I too got a small bloom from time to time. I trained my self to avoid this by putting the Aimpoint on the lowest visible setting, mounting the rifle at low ready, focusing on a target at the intended range, and then mounting the rifle without taking my eyes off the target. The trick is to bring something (the red dot) into the line of sight while focused at range without shifting focus from the target to the red dot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ryno12
12-19-14, 08:48
If there really is 3 distinct dots, I would think they'd still be visible through a magnifier. That should determine if its human or optic related. If Aimpoint won't do anything more with it then try returning it to the seller. If still no joy, sell it.

sevenhelmet
12-19-14, 09:00
Have you tried any other red dot sights? Better yet, do you know someone else with an AP Pro you can look through? This would help you determine pretty quickly whether it's your eyes or the Aimpoint.

Just a shot in the dark, but also check brightness. Based on your opening post, the scope initially checked good, and then bad after 45-50 rounds. That means something went wrong with it, or the environment changed (it got cloudy or dark at the range.) I find if I have my RDS too bright, I get ghosting and lens flare (it is a cheaper optic than an AP though, so I don't worry about it too much). Is it possible you have the brightness way up to compensate for cataracts?

ucrt
12-19-14, 09:52
Thanks. The other tech fellow I spoke with had me try that while we were on the phone. I did that and it showed 3 dots. I tried to photograph it without success.
That's the reason he assigned me an R/A number.

At this point I'm looking for other quality alternatives. Any suggestions...anyone?? Thanks, JR

I wouldn't give up on Aimpoint but I can understand your frustration.

But maybe it just me...

militarymoron
12-19-14, 10:16
. I tried to photograph it without success.

try photographing it again - that will help a lot. use a clear background and focus the camera on infinity, or point autofocus on the dot. if there are three clear dots, then it's the optic. if it's one clear dot, then it isn't.

GH41
12-19-14, 16:25

Make a very small pin hole in a piece of paper and hold it centered on and touching the eye piece end of the PRO with the brightness turned down to a visible level.

Looking through the pin hole, if the multitude of dots go away...it ain't the Swede's fault.
Just an idea
But maybe it just me...

You can do the same thing with a BUIS. Look through the small aperture at the dot. If the cluster of grapes goes away it is your eyes.

tylerw02
12-20-14, 15:12
Sounds like it's your eyes. I have the same problem. I just turn mine down as low as possible, and look through the rear sight when I need a very precise shot placement.

Also I have a TR24 that is a bit more versatile and eliminates the problem. I prefer the Aimpoint for speed despite seeing a snowman looking star through the optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WS6
12-20-14, 15:27
I recently bought a Colt M4 and I'm trying to make an intelligent decision on optics. I haven't owned an AR rifle for 30+ years. It was a SP1. Now, as you can surmise, I'm a geezer and and not up to speed on all the current technologies.

A few years back, when prices were out of sight, I bought a SAM7R AK47. Later I bought an Aimpoint Pro Patrol red dot and a good quality mount for it. After getting everything mounted, I took it the range to sight it in. After shooting maybe 40-50 rounds I started seeing 3 red dots, closely grouped together. My efforts to zero it in were gone! I asked the range master to aim it and tell me what he saw. He said 3 dots. Two of my friends later, at my home, saw the same thing.

So I called Aimpoint and left messages for a tech fellow by the name of John. I had read good reviews about his service. Never got a return call. After waiting a few weeks, I called again and spoke with another tech who patiently walked me through several tests after which he provided me an R/A number so they could check it themselves.

When it came back I re-installed and....3 dots. Now I don't have the eye sight of a young man, but my vision is 20-25 with some developing cataracts.

So now I'm hesitant to go down that road again, so I'm hoping you resident experts to help me out a bit. I'd appreciate your suggestions. Kindly provide specific make as well as the model numbers. Thanks to all for your time and sage advice. JR

Grab your handy iPhone/Droid and snap a picture of the dot. It will either confirm a broken mechanical component, or a broken organic component. Cameras don't lie.

ndmiller
12-20-14, 16:21
Another thing is many people crank up the brightness more than is necessary causing the bloom to be worse.

I have 2 Aimpoint PRO's and can confirm if I crank up brightness too far on either, the dot becomes a cluster of red blurriness.

Noah

johnnyringo
12-21-14, 11:38
After a visit to the range yesterday and doing a comparison between my Pro Patrol and and Eotech 552, I'm planning to go with the Eotech. Thanks to all for your input .

ucrt
12-21-14, 14:44

Just curious, have you tried any of the suggestions guys have made to tell if is an Aimpoint issue?

fixit69
12-21-14, 15:54
I have astigmatism and the dot "figure eights" or "starbursts"on me if I don't squint, but I still only see one dot. Used to be done with them but have two now. So if you see three, I don't know what to say.