PDA

View Full Version : Ever Get Asked For Your Receipt Before Leaving Walmart?

Abraham
12-19-14, 11:45
If so, did you comply with the question or did you say "no" and kept going?

If you said no and kept on walking, how did not complying with this insulting/degrading request refusal go?

Arrested in the parking lot?

Tackled by store employees?

If arrested by LEO and found innocent because your receipt matched your goods what then happened?

Or, after refusing to comply with the receipt demand, nothing further happened and you went about your merry way?

Thanks!

docsherm
12-19-14, 11:50
Sounds like this question has a back story........ :jester:

And no I have never been asked.

uffdaphil
12-19-14, 11:56
I've been asked to show receipt at Home Depot, and electronics stores a few times. Nothing insulting or degrading about it. With shoplifting so rampant spot checking makes sense to me.

Alpha Sierra
12-19-14, 12:00
I've been asked once. I said no thanks. No one followed me, hassled me, tackled me, or arrested me. And I would be pretty wealthy after the fact had they tried. Not to mention the fact that I never go to Walmart unarmed.

Whatever shoplifting/theft problems they have are theirs, not mine. Once money changes hands at the register, their merchandise becomes my personal property and I have no obligation to account for any of it to anyone.

zombiescometh
12-19-14, 12:01
The only time for me was I believe when I was 20 helping my mom get groceries at meijer.
The reason I remember was my mom was upset because she had spent $100 on just food items etc and it didn't even fill the cart.
Then on the way out a worker stopped us before the door and asked to check our cart and receipt.
I think that was the only time I have seen my mom yell at a store worker. She got him to apologize and off we went.

Best buy almost always checks.

markm
12-19-14, 12:14
Well I used to leave through Gardening. And I'd voluntarily offer up my receipt. No sense in being a prick.

HKGuns
12-19-14, 12:19
Well I used to leave through Gardening. And I'd voluntarily offer up my receipt. No sense in being a prick.

This aligns well with my thoughts on the subject. I don't shop at Walmart much but I've had other places, Best Buy is a good example, ask and I have no issue with the practice. Even if I did, I certainly wouldn't be a prick to the door worker, making 10 bucks an hour, trying to do their job.

Life is too short for such silly altercations.

Leaveammoforme
12-19-14, 12:49
I don't see it as an insult. I'm on their property and chose to be there. I keep the receipt out and hold it out when approaching the door person. As if saying "You want to check this?". They wave and I go on my way. I think the practice stems more from not trusting their own employees. For example: A checker only scanning half of a friends cart but bagging it all the same.

Kain
12-19-14, 12:56
Know what i know of the amount of lose they deal with abd incidents of several k in merch walking out i am honestly surprised they dont ask everyone.

That said. No never been asked.

SteyrAUG
12-19-14, 12:57
I used to be pretty bad about this.

It bothered me that rather than target the people who are stealing specifically they basically setup a "check point" at the door to harass everyone. I felt since they wanted to inconvenience me, I would not cater to them.

Any time I was asked for a receipt at the door I'd tell them I was too busy and in my mind the checkout process already wasted enough of my time. If they followed saying "It's store policy" I'd tell them to "call a cop and I'll gladly show him" and I kept walking.

SteyrAUG
12-19-14, 12:57
Know what i know of the amount of lose they deal with abd incidents of several k in merch walking out i am honestly surprised they dont ask everyone.

That said. No never been asked.

I'm sure somebody declared the practice racist, and that was the end of that.

TAZ
12-19-14, 12:59
Sam's does this all the time. I view it as their store their rules. Don't like the rules don't shop there. Vote with your money like you do to stores who ban guns.

lunchbox
12-19-14, 13:03
I usually smile, shrug and say- no habla ingles, and giggle on the inside at the weird look they give me. Because there's no way I could pass as of Spanish descent.

Abraham
12-19-14, 13:17
Alpha Sierra said:

"Whatever shoplifting/theft problems they have are theirs, not mine. Once money changes hands at the register, their merchandise becomes my personal property and I have no obligation to account for any of it to anyone."

The above is perfect. Eloquent in fact.

I'm going to print this, laminate it and carry it with me.

Yes, there's a back story. Here it is:

A couple of days ago with a cart full of items, for the first time ever, as I was about to exit my favorite Walmart, I was asked for my receipt.

As the request was politely asked by a little old lady, and I was in a good mood, I obliged. She quickly scanned my purchases which obviously reconciled with my receipt, thanked me and I left the store. The entire experience was done quite efficiently and probably took no more than 20/30 seconds.

However, it irked me. The more I considered it the more pissed I became.

I've read of people experiencing the same request at the point of exiting Walmart and these folks have simply responded with "NO" and kept walking. These people hadn't stolen their goods and from what I recall reading felt no obligation to comply with the request. And from what I recall they were not apprehended. But, I don't know if all such refusals ended well...

That said, assuming the customer had a receipt matching the goods they bought and just before leaving the parking lot: Store employees rushed out and laid hands on them preventing their leaving the parking lot (perhaps even cuffing them) before LEO's arrival? Now what?

Are we obligated to show proof of purchase, the assumption, at least to me, is we're obviously and insultingly considered thieves and must prove we're not.

I'm not a member of Walmart with a contract that says I have to go through this degrading exercise.

Next time, if there is a next time, as I've never been through this exercise before, I'll politely respond with "No" and keep on trucking.

Oh yeah, I'll keep a printed card copy of Alpha Sierra's response with me and give them that in lieu of a receipt...

wildcard600
12-19-14, 13:23
dont shop there. problem solved.

docsherm
12-19-14, 13:41
I know at Sam's club it is there SOP to do a 100% recipe check with everyone that leaves the store. There I do not mind because it is everyone and usually does not take any time. Anyplace else I will most likely will base it off how nicely they ask......:rolleyes:

scoutfsu99
12-19-14, 13:46
People look for any reason to be offended.

Abraham
12-19-14, 13:47
"Don't shop there" is now covering quite a number of business's that employ this practice.

I get a kick out of us gun guys/gals who call anti-gun people sheeple.

Meekly going along with the practice of receipt reconciliation (for lack of a better term) is for sheeple.

If this practice is well received, what's next?

Nah, I don't think I'm being a hard ass to refuse to go along with this domineering.

I just don't like being pushed around.

Isn't the justice system based on innocent until proven guilty?

Who the heck authorized the receipt checkers to prove yourself innocent?

You, who meekly agree to something you don't have to because to stand up for yourself is being a prick (wrong) are not thinking it through.

So, some low paid clerk demands a receipt doesn't make you a monster if you politely refuse, it makes you an American who won't be bullied.

BoringGuy45
12-19-14, 13:48
I don't see it as a sheeple thing. I'm not giving up any rights. If I don't like the policies of a place, I won't shop there. If I don't want to follow the policies and they tell me if I don't I can't come back, I won't come back. I can make the choice. But I don't want to emulate the leftist behavior that everywhere I go, people have to bow to ME and accommodate what I want.

Abraham
12-19-14, 13:51
Places like Sams or Costco have in the agreement you pay sates you agree to allow for receipt reconcilation.

Under those conditions, I have no objection.

You agreed.

General purpose purchasing - nah, I'm not going along with receipt checking.

scoutfsu99
12-19-14, 13:53
I don't see it as a sheeple thing. I'm not giving up any rights. If I don't like the policies of a place, I won't shop there. If I don't want to follow the policies and they tell me if I don't I can't come back, I won't come back. I can make the choice. But I don't want to emulate the leftist behavior that everywhere I go, people have to bow to ME and accommodate what I want.

Agree with you and markm 100%

Abraham
12-19-14, 13:57
I get a weird vibe that people are too embarrassed to stand up for themselves.

C'mon, what's a 'little' embarrassment?

Just go along to get along.

Right?

Standing up for yourself, now that is hugely embarrassing...

Well, if there's a next time this happens to me, I'll put with making a scene. I can stand a little notice.

If more of us did that, this sort of degrading, East German police state action will eventually cease as the citizenry won't stand for it.

Alpha Sierra
12-19-14, 13:59
Why do some of you think that some stranger has the right to make you prove your personal property belongs to you just because you happen to be "on their property"?

Neither property rights nor shopkeeper's privilege are absolute.

I'll be god damned if someone is going to make me prove that what is mine is mine.

Inkslinger
12-19-14, 14:01
dont shop there. problem solved.

Seriously! It's there store, there policy! Shop elsewhere. There's a long list of reasons to not go into Walmart, asking for a receipt is only one.

scoutfsu99
12-19-14, 14:04

Right?

Well, if there's a next time this happens to me, I'll put with making a scene. I can stand a little notice.

If more of us did that, this sort of degrading, East German police state action will eventually cease as the citizenry won't stand for it.

Make sure you get video of it while loudly asking "Am I being detained!?" You'll be a youtube sensation in no time.

Inkslinger
12-19-14, 14:06
Why do some of you think that some stranger has the right to make you prove your personal property belongs to you just because you happen to be "on their property"?

I'll be god damned if someone is going to make me prove that what is mine is mine.

Because how do they know it's your personal property till they verify it with the receipt. It could be a bag of their shit that someone didn't pay for. I'm not saying I don't think it's a stupid policy, I'm just saying there are better things to get wrapped around an axle about. Showing a receipt at Walmart doesn't even make my list.

Abraham
12-19-14, 14:10
"Seriously! It's there store, there policy!"

So they can keep you out if you're: Black/White/Over 6' Tall/Under 6' Tall/ and you get my drift, I hope...

There are certain policies that don't hold up and receipt reconciliation is one.

Resist or be a pussy.

It's your call...

P.S. This quasi-rebellion against receipt reconciliation is for the law abiding, not low life shop lifters.

But hey, if you want to be a 'receipt sheeple' be my guest.

zombiescometh
12-19-14, 14:15
Not sure how true it is for most stores but friends who have worked at Walmart and JC Penny said once you make it out the doors its let you go or call the police.

9mm_shooter
12-19-14, 14:18
I'll fall into the receipt sheeple category. I'm usually armed, and if stupid people escalate the issue, someone is going to get hurt.

Stupid people deserve to live too, so I do my best to avoid confrontation with them.

Just do it for the stupid people.

Leaveammoforme
12-19-14, 14:18

I feel this is addressed to me so my response is as follows:

It's called being a decent person, not acting like a d-bag in public and showing a little respect to other people who are in your way delaying your precious time that takes priorty over all other people.

They aren't making you do anything. Don't stop and keep walking if it offends your manhood. They don't need a speech about how this is 'merica.

Inkslinger
12-19-14, 14:19
So they can keep you out if you're: Black/White/Over 6' Tall/Under 6' Tall/ and you get my drift, I hope...

There's a big difference between discriminating against a race and asking people for their receipts. Are they only asking people of a certain race or socioeconomic profile? I highly doubt it. I must be special because of my limited Walmart excursions I can't ever remember being asked for my receipt. Maybe you just look like a shady dude.

ETA: Since you brought up race, honestly if they had a policy against a certain race I would be fine with that. Like I said "there story, there policy". They can have whatever shitty business practice they want. I don't have to give them my money. What about the story a while back with the bakery that got sued for not wanting to bake a cake for a gay couple? You think the should?

HKGuns
12-19-14, 14:22
Alright, next time I am asked for a receipt I am going to get 100% indignant and make such a scene they will dispatch Johnny Law, then you can read about my shooting in the GD section.

[emoji2]

titsonritz
12-19-14, 14:26
The ones that blow me away are the ones that watch you go through the line and pay and still ask to see a receipt, to those I reply, "Did you not just see me go through that line right there and pay for my shit?" I never stop walking and most don't say another word to those that do I tell them to **** off.

Abraham
12-19-14, 14:30
Okay, you're willing to be abused, cuz heck, things may go sour.

A jelly like reserve for being mistreated is how some act out their lives...cuz heck, we might be forced to stand up for ourselves. And no, I'm not talking about gunning down some clerk at Walmart.

Resistance doesn't always come down to shooting for gawds sake.

No, I won't stand for being mistreated for the stupid either.

Stupid can often learn - Forrest Gump comes to mind.

Stand up for yourself - no one else will.

Inkslinger
12-19-14, 14:33
Okay, you're willing to be abused, cuz heck, things may go sour.

A jelly like reserve for being mistreated is how some act out their lives...cuz heck, we might be forced to stand up for ourselves. And no, I'm not talking about gunning down some clerk at Walmart.

Resistance doesn't always come down to shooting for gawds sake.

No, I won't stand for being mistreated for the stupid either.

Stupid can often learn - Forrest Gump comes to mind.

Stand up for yourself - no one else will.

Of all the things in the world to stand up and fight against you choose Walmarts receipt policy?

SilverBullet432
12-19-14, 14:39
Sams club does receipt checks at the door. Same company, now being tackled on the other had, I'd sue... Everyone's doing it!

trackmagic
12-19-14, 14:44
My local Costco does this. I normally have no problem with it and I will give them a receipt. However, sometimes there is a line to leave the store as everybody is getting checked. Occasionally I will bypass the line and just leave. If anybody ever calls me on it I would have an issue. I don't see it as my responsibility to prove I am not a shoplifter.

If it is easy I will comply, If I waste 5 minutes of my time in a line then I have an issue with it.

SilverBullet432
12-19-14, 14:46
Sounds like sam's, they don't have AT sensors at the doors so an associate checks off your items.

Abraham
12-19-14, 14:47
It's one of those pesky/slippery slope areas.

How long before other degrading/intrusive unimagined demands are going to be made by merchants - fill in the blank: ?

BTW, are you aware R.R. is not being performed by just Walmart? Many other businesses are doing the same. It's really catching on. What's next?

If more people (as I mentioned earlier) just said 'NO' and kept going this shit would be retired.

Let them do a better job at actually catching shop lifters, than assuming we're all shop lifters and must be treated as such, while we meekly acquiesce...?

Do you think being treated as a shop lifter so mild an accusation that you'd willingly go along so that some other form of potential mistreatment is in the near future?

Wake up!

Stand up!

Abraham
12-19-14, 14:54
I think I mentioned: When you buy a Sams/Costco membership you agree to have your receipt checked against your merchandize.

No problem.

But, I'll be a SOB, if there's no contract for putting up with this...

Think this a tempest in a teapot?

Think again.

There's more bad ju-ju on the way if we don't stand up and say "NO"!

lunchbox
12-19-14, 15:03
Make sure you get video of it while loudly asking "Am I being detained!?" You'll be a youtube sensation in no time.

Alright, next time I am asked for a receipt I am going to get 100% indignant and make such a scene they will dispatch Johnny Law, then you can read about my shooting in the GD section.

[emoji2]Or get loud and say "It's because I'm black, isn't it!!" (Even tho your not) and start chanting "No justice, no peace" while stripping off all your clothes, and lay butt naked in the middle of entrance.. Don't forget to record it of course.

SilverBullet432
12-19-14, 15:04
Ive been asked to see proof a few times before, haven't really put much thought to it. One thing that does get on my nerves is when they ask to see ID with a card purchase, they had never done that around here until now. And its only (new, big brand stores) that do it.

GotAmmo
12-19-14, 15:11
No sense in being a prick.

THIS.

Just ****ing show you're receipt

After the hundreds of posts on this site about when police stop to question people. The typical response has always been, "if you have nothing to hide why not just answer", I find it ironic people have replied to this with "I don't feel the need to prove I'm not a shoplifter".

SilverBullet432
12-19-14, 15:13
THIS.

Just ****ing show you're receipt

After the hundreds of posts on this site about when police stop to question people. The typical response has always been, "if you have nothing to hide why not just answer", I find it ironic people have replied to this with "I don't feel the need to prove I'm not a shoplifter".

This. Sure its irritating when they ask, or when they card me for using my debit. I don't mind it. If some prick had my card, I'd want them to card him as well.

wildcard600
12-19-14, 15:32

Right?

So say the store has a no-gun policy ? do you disarm, walk in armed anyway, or not shop there ?

standing up for yourself is one thing, acting like an ass in a private establishment is another.

i dont think my job pays me enough, can i throw a fit everytime i get my paycheck ? i dont have to work here if i dont want too, just like you dont have to shop at walmart if you dont want to.

this is more ridiculous than people burning down thier own neighborhood cause some shitbag thug got waxed by the police.

GlockWRX
12-19-14, 15:33
Talk about your first world problems.

If the worst indignity you are going to face is having a diabetes riddled septuagenarian ask to see a receipt for stuff you just bought, you are living a truly blessed life.

Inkslinger
12-19-14, 15:35
Ive been asked to see proof a few times before, haven't really put much thought to it. One thing that does get on my nerves is when they ask to see ID with a card purchase, they had never done that around here until now. And its only (new, big brand stores) that do it.

I guess you've never had your debit/credit card cloned before. I have. Guess where the used it? WALMART! If they asked for ID, it probably wouldn't have happened. I think I'm going to join Abrahams revolution. He can pitch a bitch and burn his receipt like a draft card while berating the elderly overweight Wally weirdo on the power chair at the exit while I hold my breath and stomp my feet and press my drivers license into the face of the window licker working the register! Viva la revolution!

SilverBullet432
12-19-14, 15:42
Ive had my info stolen twice actually.

Straight Shooter
12-19-14, 15:43
I aint gonna go ballistic over something like this...wtf for? People got all clabbered up over being asked was their ammo going to be used in a handgun or rifle for years. It just aint no big thing.

Alpha Sierra
12-19-14, 15:46
Because how do they know it's your personal property till they verify it with the receipt.
The f-ing cahsier knows. She took my money.

Alpha Sierra
12-19-14, 15:48
I feel this is addressed to me so my response is as follows:

It's called being a decent person, not acting like a d-bag in public and showing a little respect to other people who are in your way delaying your precious time that takes priorty over all other people.

They aren't making you do anything. Don't stop and keep walking if it offends your manhood. They don't need a speech about how this is 'merica.

Don't put words in my mouth.

What you quoted me saying was said for this audience as a discussion point.

The only time I have been asked I said "no thank you" in a calm but firm voice and kept on going. Period, End of Story.

Averageman
12-19-14, 15:55
I really try and skip WalMart, but usually it gets my business once every two weeks.
Yes I have been asked for my reciept and yes I don't have a problem showing it to them, but being asked for it makes me question a few things.
A) Is that much money walking out the door?
B) What happens if you toss your receipt on the walk to the door?
I usually try and skip WalMart as I have said, it's stuff like this and the regulars who shop there that have pretty much convinced me it isn't worth it.

Moose-Knuckle
12-19-14, 16:00

I always write "CHECK I.D." on the signature line of all my plastic. Only place that ever gave me shit about my card not being signed is the ****ing US Postal Service. No big box store has ever asked to see my ID except for Academy Sports. Cashiers are supposed to ask to see ID but when you see hundreds of debit/cards a day and you are making minimum wage the I give a **** meter is running on empty.

As for WM, we shop there pretty frequently and have never been asked to show a receipt when we exit. I even pick up quit a few on-line orders and walk out with them from the back of the store where they use to have their Lay-A-Way desk. I can see both sides but if I was put in that situation I would simply ask them why they were asking to see my receipt. Depending on how that went I would then than ask to speak to the Store Director or Manager on Duty. If that went south I would call the District Manager post haste.

Hmac
12-19-14, 16:14

I agree. Never had it happen at WalMart - really never shop there, but it's routine at Costco. I find it mildly irritating but it's their game so I play by their rules.

kwelz
12-19-14, 16:21
The only time I ever stop and show receipt is if it at Sams club. The only reason I do it there is because of the membership clause. Stores in general do not have the legal right to stop you and ask unless they have real suspicion of you stealing something. If I am asked anywhere else I just say no thanks and keep walking. Once or twice I have had people get very confused and yell after me. But nothing beyond that. No reason to be a jerk about it. But I am not going to let them sit there and confirm my purchases or whatever.

wildcard600
12-19-14, 16:26
I would be more pissed about them gettig rich off my tax dollars than about getting asked for my reciept atter purchasing china junk.

IMO

Outlander Systems
12-19-14, 16:49
Walmart sucks.

Shop at Aldi. Problem solved.

williejc
12-19-14, 17:52
Since I choose to shop at Walmart, I don't object to showing a receipt and don't understand why anyone else would object. I'm for any tactic that slows down theft.
Academy's policy is that anybody can walk out with anything, and no action will be taken. Petco has the same policy. Liability and safety concerns are the stated reasons. In my town some merchants will ignore shop lifting because they fear getting their asses beat--or worse. On I-35 bands of professional shop lifters hit cities as they travel the highway. Such behavior increases cost of living for me and you.

If showing a receipt bothers a customer, he should go shop elsewhere.

Moose-Knuckle
12-19-14, 17:53
Walmart sucks.

Shop at Aldi. Problem solved.

Aldi sales ammo and 6920's?! :jester:

gun71530
12-19-14, 18:01
I showed them my receipt. I see no reason to be a prick about something so small and insignificant.

Irish
12-19-14, 18:13
I always write "CHECK I.D." on the signature line of all my plastic. Only place that ever gave me shit about my card not being signed is the ****ing US Postal Service.

That's because the card is not valid until signed. Read the back by the signature line. ;)

Moose-Knuckle
12-19-14, 18:26
That's because the card is not valid until signed. Read the back by the signature line. ;)

OMG, I've been committing CC fraud all these years! :cool:

I've noticed that, but all my financial institutions have told me not sign my card(s). I surmise at the end of the day it really doesn't matter.

Good to see you posting again. :neo:

skywalkrNCSU
12-19-14, 18:49
If you really think being asked to show your receipt when leaving a store is degrading then you need to go out and experience the world a little bit.

But yeah what an awful thing to go through, perhaps you should get counseling to deal with the atrocities you have faced.

austinN4
12-19-14, 19:11
Must be a really slow day - over 60 posts about receipts. And like a fool I am adding mine.

Never been asked at Walmart - always asked at Cosco, but so is everyone else.

Edited to add: The Cuba thread only has 72 posts, LOL!

wildcard600
12-19-14, 20:02
The other day I was at the grocery store and while I was checking, out this young kid at the end of the register had the audacity to ask me "paper or plastic" ? its none of his goddamn pimply assed teenaged business what my orientation is, so I punched him in the face, grabbed my gummy bears, bottle of chardonnay and new harlequin novel off the counter and stormed out of there. The nerve of goddamn people these days !

Hmac
12-19-14, 20:17
One thing that does get on my nerves is when they ask to see ID with a card purchase, they had never done that around here until now.

I don't mind that so much but I do mind when a brick-and-mortar store uses the CVN number from the back of the card for verification. They can also use the last 4 digits of the card account number. The CVN number is the code that isn't recorded on the magnet strip or chip, is supposed to be a security measure for online purchasing only where you enter the card number instead of the merchant scanning it. I would ask them not to use that secret number and they just tell me that they have to. Now, I just black that number out so that it's unreadable and when the merchant says they can't use the card, I explain about the last 4 digits. They're always amazed when they see that it works.

Moose-Knuckle
12-19-14, 20:20
I don't mind that so much but I do mind when a brick-and-mortar store uses the CVN number from the back of the card for verification. They can also use the last 4 digits of the card account number. The CVN number is the code that isn't recorded on the magnet strip or chip, is supposed to be a security measure for online purchasing only where you enter the card number instead of the merchant scanning it. I would ask them not to use that secret number and they just tell me that they have to. Now, I just black that number out so that it's unreadable and when the merchant says they can't use the card, I explain about the last 4 digits. They're always amazed when they see that it works.

That is a new one on me, I have never had a brick and mortar store ask for the CVN number. Online retailers only.

I'll be sure never to give it to them if they start to ask in the stores . . .

Leaveammoforme
12-19-14, 20:26
The late Mitch Hedburg deserves a comment in this thread.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gWx6uA5aCrE

cwgibson
12-19-14, 20:59
I have actually been asked several times, maybe I look guilty. This was year ago because I tend to avoid Walmart theses days. This past Memorial Day my folks came to visit and wanted to get my daughter an outdoor play set from there. We had called ahead so they had it on the forklift and loaded it up before we even paid for it. My dad's check card number had been stolen a few weeks earlier so when he went to pay for it, it was declined. They let him come outside and use the phone to try and resolve the situation. We sat out there for 30 minutes at least trying to get a real person to help him. We could have driven away no problem without paying at all. They may have had exterior cameras but I was amazed that we sat out there so long with the thing loaded up and no one seemed to care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hmac
12-19-14, 21:10
That is a new one on me, I have never had a brick and mortar store ask for the CVN number. Online retailers only.

I'll be sure never to give it to them if they start to ask in the stores . . .

They don't ask you for the number...you hand them the card, they swipe it, their display asks for the "verification number", they flip the card over and read and enter the CVN number that was designed only for online or mail-order merchants to see. Watch those clerks every time you hand them your card, and ask about it every time you hand the card to a waiter in a restaurant. I've had it happen almost routinely in restaurants that when I hand them a card with the CVN number blacked out they come back saying they can't use that card.

Think of it this way. You go out to eat, at the end of the meal they bring you the check and you give them your card to pay it. They take the card back, take a picture of it with their iPhone (or just copy the number and exp), then flip the card over and copy the CVN number. What keeps them from heading on home after their shift and using your card to order a big screen TV from an online retailer?

decodeddiesel
12-19-14, 21:37
Actually I had an experience where I was under a deadline and had to buy a replacement monitor from my local walmart at about 1:00am. As I was leaving with the 22" monitor in the box some kid wearing nothing to identify himself as a walmart employee (not even a visible name tag) stopped me and asked for my receipt. I asked him if he worked there, which was met with a blank stare. He said yes and once again asked for the receipt. I told him that since he didn't have a name tag, vest, or other piece of clothing to identify himself as a walmart employee that I would not provide a receipt. He didn't get it, and stood there with a blank expression on his face. At this point I got suspicious/pissed off and told him to go get his manager. I then waited for the manager (a moronic woman in her 40s) and explained to her why an "employee" with no identification stopping someone with a high dollar item in the middle of the night might be suspicious, and probably wasn't a good business practice. She gave me some line about shop lifting and I told her that if this "employee" had done it outside of the front door, he would have been held at gunpoint until the police arrived. She asked if I had a gun, to which I said "I have a concealed carry permit" and she threatened to call the cops. I told her to go right ahead, I knew my rights. She never did and I left. Still though, the whole thing was really poor business on their part. I haven't been back to that walmart since, and wrote a nasty letter to their corporate office (to which I have never received a reply).

SteyrAUG
12-19-14, 21:59
If showing a receipt bothers a customer, he should go shop elsewhere.

When I've done it I've tried not to be obnoxious about it. I don't get bent like I'm having a "civil rights" moment. But sometimes I've got things to do and typically they have wasted enough of my time and I'm not inclined to give them more.

MountainRaven
12-19-14, 22:01
Never had my receipt checked, and I usually shop at the local Wal-Mart once a week. (Ammo and food prices are typically 30-50% lower than the local grocers and gun stores.) Multiple times a week at the local Target, due to its proximity to my workplace - and their red velvet cookies are awesome.

I really try and skip WalMart, but usually it gets my business once every two weeks.
Yes I have been asked for my reciept and yes I don't have a problem showing it to them, but being asked for it makes me question a few things.
A) Is that much money walking out the door?
B) What happens if you toss your receipt on the walk to the door?
I usually try and skip WalMart as I have said, it's stuff like this and the regulars who shop there that have pretty much convinced me it isn't worth it.

It's been a really long time since I worked at a Wal-Mart (shut up, I was in college), but the numbers for the store I worked at boggled the mind.

IIRC (and I probably don't), the population of the entire county was 100,000 people - population of the town was about 25,000. Average number of different people who went through the store a day was something like 50,000. Shoplifting/theft or 'shrinkage' accounted for something like $10,000 of goods wondering out the door every day. If you caught or helped to catch a shoplifter, you got a hefty bonus. Something like $500 (when you're making minimum wage, that's two 40-hour work weeks). And several times, it was people attempting to shoplift entire carts of goods: big screen TVs, movies, video games, even basic groceries.

So, yes, 'shrinkage' is an enormous problem at most retail establishments. And, as someone else mentioned, it increases the prices on good for all of us. If their weren't any thieves in the world, things would be a lot less expensive, because retailers wouldn't have to calculate the cost of shrinkage into the pricing of the goods they're selling.

Hmac
12-19-14, 22:35
I have buddy whose daughter got a degree in law enforcement and took a job with Target Corpopration. She has more interesting stories than any of my cop friends. Target has a truly amazing and innovative loss-prevention program.

SkiDevil
12-19-14, 23:51
Many years ago I worked in Loss Prevention for a large National retail chain. The rules for stopping a shoplifter were very strict. To sum it up basically, if you saw them take it and never lost sight of the alleged shop lifter till they reached the door then a stop could be made. We always worked in pairs or more. General rule was to make the stop or arrest at the outside of the door. Ironically, the most difficult shop lifters to deal with were women and usually Black. That said the shop lifters ran the gamut of every race and gender.

I'm with Markm, I don't shop at Walmart much except for peanuts and ammo. I always use the garden exit and I am never questioned. I just usually wave my receipt as I walk by the registers. Once I pushed my shopping cart out of the store through gardening with 2 cases of 223 and no one even seemed to notice (paid for at the Sporting Goods Dept.).

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-19-14, 23:53
The only time I ever stop and show receipt is if it at Sams club. The only reason I do it there is because of the membership clause. Stores in general do not have the legal right to stop you and ask unless they have real suspicion of you stealing something. If I am asked anywhere else I just say no thanks and keep walking. Once or twice I have had people get very confused and yell after me. But nothing beyond that. No reason to be a jerk about it. But I am not going to let them sit there and confirm my purchases or whatever.

They can ask, actually physically stopping you is a bozo-no-no from what I remember.

Must be a really slow day - over 60 posts about receipts. And like a fool I am adding mine.

Never been asked at Walmart - always asked at Cosco, but so is everyone else.

Edited to add: The Cuba thread only has 72 posts, LOL!

Not many people have been to Cuba....

I have buddy whose daughter got a degree in law enforcement and took a job with Target Corpopration. She has more interesting stories than any of my cop friends. Target has a truly amazing and innovative loss-prevention program.

Out of curiosity, it would interesting to hear what she says is the breakdown between inside assisted loss and pure external loss. My BIL worked for a firm that defended grocery stores from slip/fall lawsuits. Between him and my sister, who was a social worker at an inner city middle school, you'd come away from dinner at their house thinking that humanity was pretty much screwed.

Moose-Knuckle
12-20-14, 00:09
They don't ask you for the number...you hand them the card, they swipe it, their display asks for the "verification number", they flip the card over and read and enter the CVN number that was designed only for online or mail-order merchants to see. Watch those clerks every time you hand them your card . . .

Every time I shop at a big box retailer I swipe my own card at the card reader/signature thingamabob and the clerk never asks to see it.

. . . and ask about it every time you hand the card to a waiter in a restaurant. I've had it happen almost routinely in restaurants that when I hand them a card with the CVN number blacked out they come back saying they can't use that card.

Think of it this way. You go out to eat, at the end of the meal they bring you the check and you give them your card to pay it. They take the card back, take a picture of it with their iPhone (or just copy the number and exp), then flip the card over and copy the CVN number. What keeps them from heading on home after their shift and using your card to order a big screen TV from an online retailer?[/QUOTE]

Now this is a concerning eventuality that I have not even thought about, but will make the change of blacking out the CVN number. Good idea and thanks for the heads up.

Moose-Knuckle
12-20-14, 00:13

A buddy of mine who I went to HS with and he was a detective for the same agency I work for left to take a higher paying job with better hours at Target Corporation. We had a Captain leave and go work for Frito-Lay making six figures as a security consultant.

Moose-Knuckle
12-20-14, 00:18
Many years ago I worked in Loss Prevention for a large National retail chain. The rules for stopping a shoplifter were very strict. To sum it up basically, if you saw them take it and never lost sight of the alleged shop lifter till they reached the door then a stop could be made. We always worked in pairs or more. General rule was to make the stop or arrest at the outside of the door. Ironically, the most difficult shop lifters to deal with were women and usually Black. That said the shop lifters ran the gamut of every race and gender.

I use to work for Academy Sports in college. The Gochman family member running the company when I was there forbid any type of security tags on merchandise. He was by profession an ACLU defense attorney before taking the helm. He was over the company while his sister finished school so she could take over and he could go back to being a liberal attorney. They now have devices in place but the family sold off the company in 2011 IIRC. One day a kid ran out the front door with a pair of Nike SHOX ($100+) shoes, a manager ran after him in the parking lot to "stop him" and he was shot and killed. The company has strict policies in place that employees cannot pursue shop lifters. They sure don't pay enough to put your life on the line for a loss the company absorbs any how . . .

26 Inf
12-20-14, 01:05

Now that is something I don't get upset about, if you are running with a debit card you should kiss them if they ask for your ID - they have your and the store's interest at heart - probably moreso the stores! :)

I have have ask for ID on the back of my cards where the signature goes, and I always smile and say thanks when they do.

SkiDevil
12-20-14, 03:18
I use to work for Academy Sports in college. The Gochman family member running the company when I was there forbid any type of security tags on merchandise. He was by profession an ACLU defense attorney before taking the helm. He was over the company while his sister finished school so she could take over and he could go back to being a liberal attorney. They now have devices in place but the family sold off the company in 2011 IIRC. One day a kid ran out the front door with a pair of Nike SHOX ($100+) shoes, a manager ran after him in the parking lot to "stop him" and he was shot and killed. The company has strict policies in place that employees cannot pursue shop lifters. They sure don't pay enough to put your life on the line for a loss the company absorbs any how . . .

The company does not absorb the loss, the consumer (us) does. Most of the major stores have had security/ loss prevention staff assaulted

In some cases, stabbed, beat, run over, and shot. I was lucky and never had that problem. Half our guys were LE or retired LE. We got into a few good fights with a several shop lifters who resisted arrest.

Not a job that I would recommend to most.

C-grunt
12-20-14, 03:27
I have been asked a few times at the door. Its just a policy for the guy at the door and they do it fairly random. I bet it does deter a decent amount of theft though.

I can tell you though that a busy Walmart in a big city easily loses thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars a week in stolen merchandise. Hell here in Phoenix earlier this year some guys stole 3 or 4 Colt 6920s from the sporting goods section. Just put the boxes in his cart and walked right out.

One scam thieves do is buy an item, go back inside and grab another then return that one. Or they just get more of the same and walk back out.

I dont mind the receipt checking. If it bothers you that much then shop somewhere else. I know its just an effective tactic used by a corporation that loses untold millions of dollars a year to theft.

Iraqgunz
12-20-14, 04:00
Exactly. Costco does the same thing. There are bigger fish to fry and ficken with the Walmart door person isn't one of them.

I have been asked a few times at the door. Its just a policy for the guy at the door and they do it fairly random. I bet it does deter a decent amount of theft though.

I can tell you though that a busy Walmart in a big city easily loses thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars a week in stolen merchandise. Hell here in Phoenix earlier this year some guys stole 3 or 4 Colt 6920s from the sporting goods section. Just put the boxes in his cart and walked right out.

One scam thieves do is buy an item, go back inside and grab another then return that one. Or they just get more of the same and walk back out.

I dont mind the receipt checking. If it bothers you that much then shop somewhere else. I know its just an effective tactic used by a corporation that loses untold millions of dollars a year to theft.

JusticeM4
12-20-14, 04:19

I'm curios how the thieves just put the boxes of AR's in their cart?

Walmarts here don't have boxes of long guns just sitting out; they are locked/secured in their back storage area and only put/obtained once it is paid for by the customer. They have display models in the case, but always just one.

I've been asked for my receipt many times for regular merchandise and never have problems showing it. Why is it such a big deal to some that they refuse to show it? You have nothing to hide when you know you pay for all your items.

Same goes when LE ask for your ID in public. Technically you don't have to show them, but when asked by an officer and you refuse, you make yourself look even more suspicios although u didn't break the law.

Hmac
12-20-14, 06:46
Every time I shop at a big box retailer I swipe my own card at the card reader/signature thingamabob and the clerk never asks .

More and more places are doing this, it's true. Especially as we move to RFID systems like Apple Pay. Also, we're on the threshold of chipped/RFID credit cards in the US. They've had them in Europe for years. In the US, it's still mostly magnetic strips. Changeover to chip-and-pin systems by fall of this year, theoretically. Some vendors are already moving in that direction (Target) and some credit card companies already have (as have US passports). The problem is that most merchants don't have the RFID readers yet. Apple Pay's rate of adoption has been amazing and probably indicates the impending success of such systems. If I were VISA/MC/AMEX, I'd be working hard on a chipped credit card with a built-in thumbprint reader. For now, it's likely to be just the chipped card and enter a PIN number.

skydivr
12-20-14, 09:47
Since I hate thieves probably more than the stores do, I'm glad to help them out and revel in every one they catch....

cwgibson
12-20-14, 11:30

That reminds me of a scam I read about here awhile back. The thieves would create a web page that looked like a legit online retailer with an ad posted for $90 PS4's and then print the page and take it to Walmart to get the price match. Walmart quickly changed its policy to only match prices of other brick and mortar stores IIRC.

kwelz
12-20-14, 12:21
That reminds me of a scam I read about here awhile back. The thieves would create a web page that looked like a legit online retailer with an ad posted for $90 PS4's and then print the page and take it to Walmart to get the price match. Walmart quickly changed its policy to only match prices of other brick and mortar stores IIRC.

This has been going on for a long time. I worked at Best buy while getting my Real Estate License and people would try this a lot. I saw everything from really bad attempts at fake web sites to very well done and realistic print ads. Most were not as blatant as the PS4s at WalMart however. We were always supposed to verify the prices by checking ourselves.

Receipt checkers were not a protection against this.

You don't have to stop, and they can't make you. The exception of course being if they have a reasonable suspicion that you stole something. And in that case we usually have been monitoring the person for a long time and have police on the way if possible.

As for the wal mart case they still match online prices however they have to verify them now.

People will go to amazing lengths to cheat and steal.

For instance if a price is wrong we would usually honor it. So people would attempt to move items to another location and then claim we should honor that price. It is one thing to honor a hard drive in the wrong spot that was $10 off. But we were not going to give you that hard drive to you because you claim it was on the peg for a 5 dollar Flash drive.

Honu
12-20-14, 14:32
if i get asked I might just shove it in my mouth and start chewing with as strange a face as I can on it while clutching my wally bag :)

Honu
12-20-14, 14:36
Ironic that target is the one that has huge hack recently and its twice now they have lost major amounts of peoples info they kept !!!
I know CC theft and on floor are not the same but its ironic they care so much about there stuff but not yours !

TomF
12-20-14, 15:29
There are a whole bunch of people lamenting about "rights" without considering property owner rights, which is at least, if not more important than gun rights.

These are private businesses who own their own property and employ workers to implement their policies. Even after you paid, you are still on their grounds.

If you get off being rude or difficult to the $10/hr door checker, you are the asshole, not them. If it bothers you that much, shop elsewhere.

7.62NATO
12-20-14, 16:23

Iraqgunz
12-20-14, 16:42
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2014/04/walmart_ar_15_rifles_stolen_phoenix_arizona.php

I'm curios how the thieves just put the boxes of AR's in their cart?

Walmarts here don't have boxes of long guns just sitting out; they are locked/secured in their back storage area and only put/obtained once it is paid for by the customer. They have display models in the case, but always just one.

I've been asked for my receipt many times for regular merchandise and never have problems showing it. Why is it such a big deal to some that they refuse to show it? You have nothing to hide when you know you pay for all your items.

Same goes when LE ask for your ID in public. Technically you don't have to show them, but when asked by an officer and you refuse, you make yourself look even more suspicios although u didn't break the law.

7.62NATO
12-20-14, 16:51

Caeser25
12-20-14, 17:00
What, no blading at 45? :D

Moose-Knuckle
12-20-14, 19:01
The company does not absorb the loss, the consumer (us) does.

I guess I didn't make my self clear, yes the company aborbs (at first) the loss and passes it along down to us the consumer.

Moose-Knuckle
12-20-14, 19:23
Why is it such a big deal to some that they refuse to show it? You have nothing to hide when you know you pay for all your items.

Famous last words . . .

If you have nothing to hide then you don't mind an IRS audit right? If you have nothing to hide then you don't mind pulling over at a highway checkpoint and having your privately owned vehicle searched? Or perhaps have agents entering home to riffle through your personal effects? It's a slippery slope, where does it end? That is why there are those who object to such practices. If you shop at Sam’s/Costco then that is part of the agreement so it’s really a moot point. You don’t pay and agree to a membership fee/policy at Wal-Mart.

There is a significant difference between a LEO asking you questions about something and a retail clerk asking to see a receipt randomly.

wildcard600
12-20-14, 20:28
Famous last words . . .

If you have nothing to hide then you don't mind an IRS audit right? If you have nothing to hide then you don't mind pulling over at a highway checkpoint and having your privately owned vehicle searched? Or perhaps have agents entering home to riffle through your personal effects? It's a slippery slope, where does it end? That is why there are those who object to such practices. If you shop at Sam’s/Costco then that is part of the agreement so it’s really a moot point. You don’t pay and agree to a membership fee/policy at Wal-Mart.

There is a significant difference between a LEO asking you questions about something and a retail clerk asking to see a receipt randomly.

true.... but walking into a privately owned establishment means you adhere to their rules. you dont have to shop there.

Averageman
12-20-14, 20:29
The only issue I have with this policy is that usually it's some 65 year old or older person standing there performing this task.
I have to wonder how often one of these folks is punched in the snot box by one of the FSA?
If this is a policy they would like to enforce, I would hope they would have someone garding the gate that isn't going to fall and break a hip or die from getting a beating.
You never know who you're dealing with.

7.62NATO
12-20-14, 20:52

Moose-Knuckle
12-20-14, 20:54
true.... but walking into a privately owned establishment means you adhere to their rules. you dont have to shop there.

And they have no legal right to physcialy stop you, if they think you are a stealing then they can call 911 . . .

wildcard600
12-20-14, 20:56
Wrong, when it pertains to forcing you to show a receipt for a paid-for item.

so if they have a no-gun policy you can still carry ?

wildcard600
12-20-14, 20:57
And they have no legal right to physcialy stop you, if they think you are a stealing then they can call 911 . . .

ok. that dosent mean they cant ask.

Moose-Knuckle
12-20-14, 21:01
so if they have a no-gun policy you can still carry ?

Depends on the state, here in TX they have to have a very specific sign with certain verbiage, otherwise you can walk right by it while CCW'ing.

Moose-Knuckle
12-20-14, 21:03
ok. that dosent mean they cant ask.

They can ask all they want, that doesn't mean you have to stop and answer them.

wildcard600
12-20-14, 21:07
does texas have a law that they need post reciept checking policy at the door ?

ok ignore them and move on. of you find it offensive write to the corporate office or dont shop there.

jondoe297
12-20-14, 21:32
I've been asked once. I said no thanks.

/thread.

"blah blah blah property rights. blah blah blah tyranny. blah blah blah don't shop there".
Show them the receipt or say "no thanks" and go about your day.

drama queens.

7.62NATO
12-20-14, 21:40

wildcard600
12-20-14, 21:40
/thread.

"blah blah blah property rights. blah blah blah tyranny. blah blah blah don't shop there".
Show them the receipt or say "no thanks" and go about your day.

drama queens.

like it or not the law may be on the side of the store -

The Fourth Amendment only applies to police officers and
other state actors . It doesn't apply to private citizens, like
store owners and greeters
If the receipt-checker is a police officer, you can be
detained and forced to show a receipt, and even arrested, if
the officer has probable cause to believe you committed a
crime
In most states, if store workers or store security personnel
have a reasonable belief that a customer is shoplifting, they
may detain the shopper, ask questions and search their
belongings without fear of facing a lawsuit for false
imprisonment
Of course, the facts and circumstances of each case is
different, as are the false arrest laws in each state, but those
are good general guidelines.

http://consumer-law.lawyers.com/are-receipt-checks-at-stores-worth-the-hassle.html

at any rate do as you wish.

7.62NATO
12-20-14, 21:42

wildcard600
12-20-14, 21:44
Check your state law. Under the "shopkeeper's privilege," many States allow a shopkeeper to detain a shopper, IF the shopkeeper has probable cause to believe that the shopper has committed or attempted to commit theft of store property. Generally, detaining a shopper who refuses to present a receipt, and without having the aforesaid probable cause, is a BIG no-no.

ok fight it out with the store if you wish. its simply easier for me to not support places i dont like with my hard earned money, just like its easier for me to no longer post in this thread than argue with people who want to take offense at a stores policy. do as you wish and have a nice night.

Sensei
12-20-14, 21:58
Some men are sheep, and others are wolves.

Clearly, and none sing the song of their people louder than those few brave souls who refuse to present their receipt...at Walmart. Ahhh, listen to them. The children of the night. What music they make...aaooowwwwww.

HKGuns
12-20-14, 22:05
Clearly, and none sing the song of their people louder than those few brave souls who refuse to present their receipt...at Walmart. Ahhh, listen to them. The children of the night. What music they make...aaooowwwwww.

Ha! [emoji28]

7.62NATO
12-20-14, 22:10

Sensei
12-20-14, 22:18

7.62NATO
12-20-14, 22:36

Moose-Knuckle
12-20-14, 23:35
does texas have a law that they need post reciept checking policy at the door ?

Not at this time, how about MO?

ok ignore them and move on. of you find it offensive write to the corporate office or dont shop there.

I will but to date this hasn't happened to me. Has this sort of thing happened to you?

Pilgrim
12-20-14, 23:53
Apparently not many here have shopped at a Costco, no one gets out without showing proof of purchase.

For crying out loud people... just show the receipt and move on.

Iraqgunz
12-20-14, 23:57
How did I know this would eventually go Tropic Thunder?

SeriousStudent
12-21-14, 00:15
How did I know this would eventually go Tropic Thunder?

I would attribute it to vast experience observing Internet forums. And you've raised teenaged children.

I therefore predict in two more pages we'll run smack dab into Godwin's Law.

MountainRaven
12-21-14, 00:28
I would attribute it to vast experience observing Internet forums. And you've raised teenaged children.

I therefore predict in two more pages we'll run smack dab into Godwin's Law.

Nobody asked you, Nazi.

Did I just go full-retard?

;)

:jester:

Moose-Knuckle
12-21-14, 00:50
Apparently not many here have shopped at a Costco, no one gets out without showing proof of purchase.

For crying out loud people... just show the receipt and move on.

Sam's and Costco have been mentioned numerous times in this thread. With both warehouse stores one has to sign a contract and pay for a membership. Polices come with such a business contract like checking receipts.

SeriousStudent
12-21-14, 01:10
Nobody asked you, Nazi.

Did I just go full-retard?

;)

:jester:

It was about as smart as anything else in this thread, I suppose.

Sensei
12-21-14, 05:42
It was about as smart as anything else in this thread, I suppose.

Oh yeah? Well, I'll bet you a gold plated Taurus Judge that your teenage kids wouldn't get the Bela Lugosi reference in my post...Mr. Wise Acre. ;)

skywalkrNCSU
12-21-14, 07:20
I do actually have a funny story about this. I was with two friends at Walmart when we were like 17 or so and they had someone checking all receipts. One of my friends bought something small, the other friend and I were just along for the ride. As she is checking his receipt the other friend who hadn't purchased anything (and therefore had no receipt to check) says to her, "you don't check pockets do you?" She gave us the nastiest look and we were on our way. Maybe you should try that next time if this irks you so much.

Alpha Sierra
12-21-14, 11:52
How many times does this need to be said: neither private property rights nor shopkeeper's privilege are absolute.

No, I don't have to comply with a request to prove that what is mine is mine. And I will shop wherever I please.

Alpha Sierra
12-21-14, 11:55
I suppose you wouldn't mind if police went door to door and asked for a DNA sample from you because a woman in your street/neighborhood got raped?

Same same, right?

Hmac
12-21-14, 12:01
How many times does this need to be said: neither private property rights nor shopkeeper's privilege are absolute.

No, I don't have to comply with a request to prove that what is mine is mine. And I will shop wherever I please.

Yes. And I guess that makes you a wolf instead of a sheep.

I do think it would be more accurate to say that you can shop wherever you please as long as the shopkeeper lets you. Stores do have the right to refuse service to anyone - you don't have a right to shop there and they can ask you to leave at any time for any reason, and they can ask you never to come back for any reason. Such as not complying with their policies. So, maybe the blue-vest guy you blow off will remember you, or maybe they have you on video since in most of those places the exits are all video recorded. Maybe they'll blow it off and forget about it, or maybe they'll ask you to leave the next time you go to shop there.

Just sayin'. Shopping and purchasing there is their game...they get to make the rules.

Alpha Sierra
12-21-14, 12:30
I do think it would be more accurate to say that you can shop wherever you please as long as the shopkeeper lets you. Stores do have the right to refuse service to anyone - you don't have a right to shop there and they can ask you to leave at any time for any reason, and they can ask you never to come back for any reason. Such as not complying with their policies. So, maybe the blue-vest guy you blow off will remember you, or maybe they have you on video since in most of those places the exits are all video recorded. Maybe they'll blow it off and forget about it, or maybe they'll ask you to leave the next time you go to shop there.

Yes and if my aunt had a sack she'd be my uncle too......

Hmac
12-21-14, 13:56
On the face of it, it's a pretty silly argument. It's not a 4th amendment issue since if you shop there you agree to abide by their conditions, but like a lot of these authoritarian encounters, the players often don't all really understand the rules.

http://consumerist.com/2014/09/23/man-sues-costco-for-670000-after-receipt-checking-incident-leaves-him-with-a-broken-leg/ .................this guy is the classic "I won't show you my receipt" wolf.

http://consumerist.com/2011/03/07/calm-man-successfully-buys-tv-and-denies-walmart-receipt-checkers/ ...............check the related links at the bottom of this one.

7.62NATO
12-21-14, 14:24

Abraham
12-21-14, 14:36
There are plenty of things stores can't bar you for: Race, Religion and you know the rest...

It isn't so cut and dried that because you're in their store, it's their rules. That's just silly.

I'll exaggerate a bit to make my point: If they declared in order to come into their store you had to sing a song first or do a little soft shoe dance, cuz hey, it's their store, their rules, right?

Wrong.

There's a little too much acceptance of being treated like a criminal cuz (show me the receipt schweinhund) to do so means you're just being a prick. No, you're not. You have a right NOT to be treated in a disrespectful manner, and I consider the receipt bother disrespectful. Some just don't get that. You're not a prick for standing up for yourself, nor are you mistreating some Walmart employee.

Just go along with the program weinie. Don't rock the boat. Be a lamb. To do otherwise makes you a prick.

Now, get into that cattle car!

Irish
12-21-14, 14:47
The implication that the customer is a thief, and that they have to prove their innocence by showing a receipt, is bullshit.

For those who for stores requiring customers to show them their receipt, where does it end? What if the store's policy was for you to lift your shirt or to open your purse or bag for inspection on leaving? Would that be acceptable?

Empty your pockets...

7.62NATO
12-21-14, 14:52

drsal
12-21-14, 14:56
Never.

Alpha Sierra
12-21-14, 17:26
On the face of it, it's a pretty silly argument. It's not a 4th amendment issue since if you shop there you agree to abide by their conditions,

Are you mentally retarded or something? Didn't I just tell you that shopkeer privilege and private property rights are neither unlimited or absolute?

Some guys physically assaults me because I won't bow down to his authority complex and I will defend myself. You can figure out what that means.

Inkslinger
12-21-14, 17:38
Are you mentally retarded or something? Didn't I just tell you that shopkeer privilege and private property rights are neither unlimited or absolute?

Some guys physically assaults me because I won't bow down to his authority complex and I will defend myself. You can figure out what that means.

Dude you need to simmer down. This went from asking to see a receipt to you getting physically assaulted! If you act in public in anyway like you have portrayed yourself throughout this thread I'm sure your family is very proud.

SeriousStudent
12-21-14, 17:39
Yet another quick reminder that personal attacks are not allowed at M4C.

Hmac
12-21-14, 17:57

Jeez, this receipt thing is really a big deal for you, isn't it?

Yes, you did tell, me. Why would I take your word for it?

>

Eurodriver
12-21-14, 19:49
Not sure why anyone would get upset at Hmac. He's probably saved the life of a few M4C'ers. I know that I am now damn sure to inspect my grilling equipment for metals bit from the brush before cooking!

Digital_Damage
12-21-14, 19:56
Show it to them, problem solved... A Seriously stupid thing to stand your ground over.

scoutfsu99
12-21-14, 20:21
Show it to them, problem solved... A Seriously stupid thing to stand your ground over.

But they're fighting for freedom, warm apple pie, and the American way of life! It'd be nice to see one of the advocates here post a video of themselves acting as the apex predator wolves they think they are. If they're so set on making a statement, do it right. Don't harass the minimum wage door greeter. Stop and ask to speak to the store manager.

I think are far more important things to get spun up about than dealing with the slight inconvenience of having a receipt checked. Again, some people need drama in their lives and go searching for low hanging fruit.

SeriousStudent
12-21-14, 20:33
Oh yeah? Well, I'll bet you a gold plated Taurus Judge that your teenage kids wouldn't get the Bela Lugosi reference in my post...Mr. Wise Acre. ;)

You actually own a gold-plated Taurus Judge?

I honestly would not know which is more puzzling. Gold-plating a pistol, or thinking that Taurus produces firearms.

MountainRaven
12-21-14, 23:50
You actually own a gold-plated Taurus Judge?

I honestly would not know which is more puzzling. Gold-plating a pistol, or thinking that Taurus produces firearms.

Dude, Tier 1 Operators are using them and nobody else can get them. The gold plating improves their performance and lethality in every metric. Literal one-shot stops are the norm.

Here's some classified helmet cam footage from an Airborne DeltaGRU sniper SEAL Ranger during a recent op against ISIS in Egypt, OP Gold And Eye. It was leaked by some North Korean hackers earlier this year, so it's totally cool to share here.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/Jagdraben/Golden-Eye-Gold-PP7_zps0f935b3f.jpg

Sensei
12-22-14, 00:01

Leaveammoforme
12-22-14, 00:07
Here's my taurus 82 bought as a cheap turn in that was FeH2O plated.

SeriousStudent
12-22-14, 22:30

Shudder........

JusticeM4
12-23-14, 04:48
I suppose you wouldn't mind if police went door to door and asked for a DNA sample from you because a woman in your street/neighborhood got raped?

Same same, right?

Key word: Public

Your home is your private residence and they cannot forcefully enter or search without a proper warrant. In PUBLIC it is a different story.

And this thread is not about that anyway, I just threw in a small example relative to the subject of being asked to show your receipt or ID. If you know any LEO friends you would understand why they ask for ID when they confront individuals in public.

JusticeM4
12-23-14, 04:55
The implication that the customer is a thief, and that they have to prove their innocence by showing a receipt, is bullshit.

For those who for stores requiring customers to show them their receipt, where does it end? What if the store's policy was for you to lift your shirt or to open your purse or bag for inspection on leaving? Would that be acceptable?

Empty your pockets...

Of course not. That is a bit too extreme.

But it is quite common for stores like Bestbuy to ask to see your receipt on big ticket items as you walk out the door for theft prevention. You paid for that 60" tv and have your receipt? You're good to go. How about that flash drive in your pocket?

You're not a thief unless you are a thief...

7.62NATO
12-23-14, 12:02

JusticeM4
12-23-14, 12:06
There is a lot of false information in this thread, including that in the quote above. I strongly suggest that people refrain from commenting unless they are providing factual information.

Its a public forum, and not everyone here is a lawyer.

If you know something that is false, please point it out. I won't be offended :)

But many people also are taking things way too far.

Would you agree that LE cannot enter your home without your permission or a warrant? If they have no PC or Warrant, they cannot enter without your permission. Or are we all mistaken and they can come into your home whenever they want, not including illegal search and seizures?

brickboy240
12-23-14, 15:34
Wow 22 pages on this!

Yes, I was asked to see my receipt. I showed it to the lady and she looked in my bag and then I went on. Took a whole 15 seconds maybe.

A violation of my rights? I don't think so...I am sure the theft rate at a place like Wal Mart would set you back in your seat. Cannot blame them for being cautious especially at Christmas or with large expensive items.

Some people here are like the blacks that run around LOOKING for something to get offended about.

Don't like the policy...don't shop there. Simple enough.

Eurodriver
12-23-14, 16:27
Wow 22 pages on this!

Yes, I was asked to see my receipt. I showed it to the lady and she looked in my bag and then I went on. Took a whole 15 seconds maybe.

A violation of my rights? I don't think so...I am sure the theft rate at a place like Wal Mart would set you back in your seat. Cannot blame them for being cautious especially at Christmas or with large expensive items.

Some people here are like the blacks that run around LOOKING for something to get offended about.

Don't like the policy...don't shop there. Simple enough.

Too many links to list, but from a brief time spent on a few of them I gathered:

In 2007 Walmart lost $3,000,000,000 to theft. That's 3 Billion, with a B. As in more than the GDPs of 12 countries...combined. (Dominica, Tonga, Micronesia, Anguilla, Cook Islands, São Tomé and Príncipe, Palau, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Nauru, Montserrat, Tuvalu)

Thefts in Walmart also accounted for $77,000,000 in taxpayer dollars due to police time used up.

If they wanted to xray people as they left the store, I couldn't blame them with those kind of losses. I wouldn't shop there, but I couldn't blame them.

J-Dub
12-23-14, 16:38
Shudder........

I don't like the Judge, as its just a goofy looking atrocity of a revolver however....

I have seen first hand what the .410 defense rounds can do to someone.....seemed to work fairly effectively (of course thats purely anecdotal and I still wouldn't own one..ever)

7.62NATO
12-23-14, 17:49