PDA

View Full Version : Zorn Holster AIWB thoughts

Linea_de_Fuego
12-20-14, 14:22
Do you all have opinions about Zorn holsters? They use .093 Kydex. This order would be for a G19 with straight drop.
It would appear that the taco style is preferred over the pancake if used as AIWB carry.
Any thoughts about .08 vs. .093 Kydex?
Any thoughts about soft loops vs. clip?

https://www.zornholsters.com/gun-holsters/wraith-holster

I do have a Comp-Tac Infidel for an M&P 9mm. compact, and they also use .093 Kydex.
It has the 10 degree cant, but I use it either at 1:00 or 4:00 position. It seems fine to me, but I don't have the experience you all do.
Thanks,

readyme
12-20-14, 18:13
I have a straight drop AIWB. Mine is from PerSec, but I assume they are all pretty similar.
Having used both clips and soft loops, I would say soft loops 100%.

12-20-14, 18:19
Why not get a holster that is made for aiwb? That holster has none of the features that make aiwb work well

Linea_de_Fuego
12-20-14, 21:02
Why not get a holster that is made for aiwb? That holster has none of the features that make aiwb work well

Help me understand what those features are.

12-20-14, 21:44
Help me understand what those features are.

The main ones are wedges built into the holster to push the rear of the slide and the grop into you boxldy look at a CCC shaggy or a JM custom aiwb...a propely designed holster makes all the difference

punkey71
12-21-14, 05:28
I've tried more than a few.

In my opinion getting a JM Custom AIWB with extra tuck & med medium guard is as good as it gets.

As 4325 stated, there is absolutely nothing about that holster that makes it a good candidate for AIWB, IMO.

You'll probably try a few to find your sweet spot, but I doubt that holster will be it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

black22rifle
12-21-14, 06:04
The main ones are wedges built into the holster to push the rear of the slide and the grop into you boxldy look at a CCC shaggy or a JM custom aiwb...a propely designed holster makes all the difference

In regards to the shaggy, I have carried a G19 in a shaggy with kydex loop for 1.75 years and I have always found the "tuck in" feature to be not so great right along with the full sweat guard. The tuck in feature pulls the gun so close to the body and along with the full sweat guard that a master grip is somewhat compromised when drawing. The shaggy would be great if it had a 1/2 sweat guard. For the G19 I have tried a Cane & Derby PIC holster and a Vanguard 2. The shaggy carries better than both, but the VG 2 has a better draw than the others. In my opinion the Shaggy with a half sweat guard would be the best appendix holster, I have been contemplating modding mine.

12-21-14, 06:42
...black22rifle...I agree about the sweat guard, I cut mine down and covered the back in velcro so I can usefoam wedges

Linea_de_Fuego
12-21-14, 09:15
In regards to the shaggy, I have carried a G19 in a shaggy with kydex loop for 1.75 years and I have always found the "tuck in" feature to be not so great right along with the full sweat guard. The tuck in feature pulls the gun so close to the body and along with the full sweat guard that a master grip is somewhat compromised when drawing. The shaggy would be great if it had a 1/2 sweat guard. For the G19 I have tried a Cane & Derby PIC holster and a Vanguard 2. The shaggy carries better than both, but the VG 2 has a better draw than the others. In my opinion the Shaggy with a half sweat guard would be the best appendix holster, I have been contemplating modding mine.
I wondered about the tuck in feature, whether it would allow a good draw stroke. The pistol butt of the M&P does not print too much with my present holster, but the G19 would be a little different with the form of the grip.

I have a straight drop AIWB. Mine is from PerSec, but I assume they are all pretty similar.
Having used both clips and soft loops, I would say soft loops 100%.
Thanks for this. I am trying to learn what works better as opposed to personal preference.

Is thicker kydex a benefit?

readyme
12-22-14, 19:06
http://www.persecsystems.com/page/online-store#!/SPEAR-APPENDIX-Gen-2/p/37318777/category=9758269

I have tried a few holsters and the SPEAR from PerSec Systems has been the best. There are multiple options as well.

Linea_de_Fuego
12-22-14, 20:42
http://www.persecsystems.com/page/online-store#!/SPEAR-APPENDIX-Gen-2/p/37318777/category=9758269

I have tried a few holsters and the SPEAR from PerSec Systems has been the best. There are multiple options as well.

The product looks great, but I came across this thread...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?121097-PerSec-Systems-AIWB-Test-and-Evaluation-Opportunity
...where the last entry was this summer. So I have to wonder about the current state of affairs.

Linea_de_Fuego
12-22-14, 20:49
I did a temporary mod to the attachment of my present holster that turns the pistol butt into my belly more. I am not sure that I like that feature. I am about 5'8'' and 180 pounds. So being 15 pounds lighter would make me tolerate that design better. This holiday season is not helping.

readyme
12-22-14, 21:05
There were delays in designing the new holster.
I have mine plus the SPEED mag pouch, and they are fantastic. They also make a light compatible version that looks equally as compact...if I ran a light, I would have one.
Anyway, I know they are making the holsters, but I don't know what the lead time is.

The product looks great, but I came across this thread...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?121097-PerSec-Systems-AIWB-Test-and-Evaluation-Opportunity
...where the last entry was this summer. So I have to wonder about the current state of affairs.

Free Agent
12-22-14, 22:40
I've never used Zorn holsters so I can't comment on that. However, There's too many good holster makers out there to order from shit company's like persec. They are impossible to reach and they never ship when they say they will. A complete nightmare of a company.
Jm custom kydex, however, makes some of the best kydex holsters out there and their customer service is not only reachable but is also outstanding. Off the grid concepts is also a stand up company with good kit.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the soft loops. I much prefer the clip or the kydex loop that JM offers.