PDA

View Full Version : Forum slow & locking up.

VA_Dinger
09-23-06, 21:25
FYI - I seem to be having a problem from time to time with the forum locking up between pages or when I jump to a new thread. Usually it just times out.

Boom
09-23-06, 21:49
Are you using Firefox?

DrMark
09-24-06, 02:11
Same here. Earlier tonight, pages never did end up loading.

IE6

Robb Jensen
09-24-06, 04:15
No problems here w/Firefox.

TWR
09-24-06, 07:57
Same here. I close the window and log back on and everything is just fine for a while.

VA_Dinger
09-24-06, 10:24
Are you using Firefox?

No, not anymore.

DrMark
09-24-06, 10:38
Opening this thread just now:

First try timed out.

Second try took about 5 minutes.

Damon
09-26-06, 13:42
Even with DSL this site is very slow to load. Using Internet Explorer and Netscape. There are a lot of graphics (.gif) files that load on this site.

Cameron
09-27-06, 09:28
Cable connection (4.0mbs) and Firefox having zero problems.

Admin
09-27-06, 11:02
Some browsers may have had trouble caching and/or fetching images stored in the db. No sense in hitting the db more than necessary so I converted them to webserver storage. You guys should see a performance increase if it was hanging up on the banners.

FWIW I haven't noticed any speed issues on a SLOW cable connection (1.5mb/s) with Firefox or IE. The site runs lightning fast on my fast connection (8mb/s) with both browsers. Let me know how it's going for you guys.

bigbore
09-27-06, 16:34
FYI - I seem to be having a problem from time to time with the forum locking up between pages or when I jump to a new thread. Usually it just times out.

Happens all the time with me, and is the main reason I dont post here often. I know several folks who dont come here at all because its just too damn slow.

DrMark
09-28-06, 07:18
Happens all the time with me, and is the main reason I dont post here often. I know several folks who dont come here at all because its just too damn slow.

It is just about the slowest of any forum I go to, unfortunately.

TOrrock
09-28-06, 14:53
Same here, and I'm using a cable modem.

Admin
09-28-06, 15:07
Can you guys saying it's slow do me a favor and ping the site?

Just open a command prompt window and type "ping www.m4carbine.net" (without quotes) and post the average ping time, and % loss.

Much appreciated!

yrac
09-28-06, 16:04
Can you guys saying it's slow do me a favor and ping the site?

Just open a command prompt window and type "ping www.m4carbine.net" (without quotes) and post the average ping time, and % loss.

Much appreciated!

4:58 PM Eastern, 9/28/06
Executed ping command 4 times. Each time had zero% loss. Times averaged from 86ms to 88ms. (For reference, the same ping to Yahoo.com averaged 18ms.) The site homepage displays reasonable quickly. It takes a few seconds to "paint" all of the sponsor images, but not long. The delay is in accessing specific threads. Currently taking 8-10 seconds from the time I click a link to the time the thread is opened.

Admin
09-28-06, 17:48
Thanks yrac.

That ping isn't great but it's acceptable. No way should it be taking 10 seconds to load a thread. When I click into an uncached new thread it takes 2 seconds tops on my slowest connection in IE. In Firefox it's just about instantaneous.

Please bear with me while I try to figure out what might be causing this. It's working fine here so I'm taking stabs in the dark...

Does it seem any better now?

Damon
09-28-06, 20:46
Average of 106 ms with 0% loss. I did a trace route and it looks slows travelling from east coast to the west coast. I tried it several times and there are usually a few "request timed out" trying to find the first hop across the US. The ISP is Level3 where this happens.

DrMark
09-28-06, 21:24
Average of 78 ms with 0% loss.

This thread took maybe 8-10 seconds to load. When I hit reply, it took maybe 8-10 seconds for the Reply page to load.

K.L. Davis
09-28-06, 23:35
Dayum! There are some real Alpha Geeks here... some odd microseconds, with a percetage of loss do to the ping thing :confused:

I guess I am lucky, loads fine for me...

DrMark
09-29-06, 07:44
Different computer:

Average of 123 ms with 0% loss.

VA_Dinger
09-29-06, 08:42
It does seem faster now.

Not as fast as some forums, but it's still a huge improvement. It's fast enough now to end all complaints.

Admin
09-29-06, 12:06
Ok... should be faster yet.

I pulled out some of the tables/graphics that build all the posts within a thread. Should speed things up again.

VA_Dinger
09-29-06, 16:16
I think you've fixed about 90% of it.

It is a huge improvement.

Damon
09-29-06, 20:28
That's faster for me. Thanks.

K.L. Davis
09-30-06, 14:10
SUPER FAST CONNECTION SECRET!

Okay, I did not belive this at first, but it works, REALLY! If you are having slow download and connection problems, with any type of connection... DSL, Cable, or Dial-Up, this little trick will at least DOUBLE your connection speed! No caching, no presumptive fetching, honest bit-for-bit faster connections!

The problem is caused by repeated connection with the same carrier, think of it as kind of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome for your connection -- What you need to do is reverse the eltrocisotope eddies that are reducing the flow of neutrons and elestroplasma.

Here is what you do... strip down naked and rub grape jelly all over yourself, then wrap your legs with aluminum foil from your feet to your knees -- pay attention to make sure that the left leg is "shiney side" out and the right leg is "dull side" out.

Now, duct tape a toilet plunger to your face, so that it looks like you are a narwhale and hold the wire or cable for your connection in your left hand... Some think that it helps to have a high moisture content, organic substance in your right hand, so if you have a fresh mellon, or banana, grab it with your right hand.

Now, you need to create static electricity be sort of shuffling/dragging your feet as you go around in COUNTER CLOCKWISE circles! It is easy if you think of it as "moon walking" forward, make sure you do this for exactly 3.33 complete revolutions (1188 degrees) -- It helps to keep the proper speed by singing that Blue Swede song "Hooked on a Feeling" as you do this...

Ooga Chucka, Ooga Chucka, Ooga Ooga Ooga Chucka

If you try it and it does not work, take a few pictures of how you are doing it and post them here, so I can see if you are doing correclty.

Hope this helps!

9x19
09-30-06, 17:09
K.L. Davis, how about you give them a demonstration? :eek: :D

DevilDog
09-30-06, 17:21
It sure seems faster the last couple of days.

... and Mr. Davis, I'm sure I'm not doing it correctly, so how 'bout you post pics first on how I should do it! :p

K.L. Davis
09-30-06, 18:39
K.L. Davis, how about you give them a demonstration? :eek: :D

In spite of all of the various demented, sick, twisted and otherwise repulsive content that can be found on the Internet... I regret that a United Nations charter has specifically excluded and forever outlawed any likeness or representation of me, in anything other than full clothing, from making it the Internet -- it is for the future of our species.

9x19
09-30-06, 22:31
In spite of all of the various demented, sick, twisted and otherwise repulsive content that can be found on the Internet... I regret that a United Nations charter has specifically excluded and forever outlawed any likeness or representation of me, in anything other than full clothing, from making it the Internet -- it is for the future of our species.

Somehow I knew the response was going to be about as hilarious as the original comment.:D

fiend
10-01-06, 12:30
Just FYI

80,80,79,82 0% loss

Josh-L
10-02-06, 17:30
Took 27 seconds after I hit reply to fully load the page. I tried the ping thing but it just keep saying page not found. I'm on high speed cable using IE.

twl
10-02-06, 19:05
I don't know about this "ping" stuff, but it takes an inordinate amount of time for me to access any page on this site.

For example, it took about a minute from the time that I hit "Post Reply" to the time that the reply box came up.

Very often it takes up to 5 minutes for me to change from one page to the next on this site.

It has gotten a bit better in the last few weeks.

I remember one time, I clicked onto a thread, and I was able to go outside and walk the dog, make a pot of coffee and pour a cup, and sit back down at the computer, and it still wasn't showing the page I clicked on.
I'd estimate about 10 minutes in that case.

It often takes 3-5 minutes to change pages for me on this website.
It definitely interferes with my coming here, because it is a big investment of my time to even click on one thread.

I click the thread, the page goes dark for several minutes, and then the thread appears.

I'm on dial-up, and I know that's slow, but this site is probably 25 times slower than any other site on the web for me.

K.L. Davis
10-03-06, 23:22
I will say that I used to have all sorts of issues with the site loading, hanging and that... Not sure if it was something you did on that end or something I did on this end -- I never thought about it, but since I loaded the newest Vista, the site performance is great?

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6212/m4cpingem8.jpg

twl
10-05-06, 10:28
Wow!
I don't know what happened over the last few days to make it better, but it has gotten alot better for me now.
Speeded way up.
Much better, thank you administrators!

Admin
10-05-06, 11:33
Wow!
I don't know what happened over the last few days to make it better, but it has gotten alot better for me now.
Speeded way up.
Much better, thank you administrators!

Glad to hear it!

Admit it... you used KL's super fast connection secret... :D

VA_Dinger
10-07-06, 09:18
I know this sucks, but it has been slow and locking up on me all morning again.

Boom
10-07-06, 16:10
Its been timing out for me but not slow when I can connect.

LOKNLOD
10-07-06, 22:48
I've never had any problems with the forum, until tonight. It's really slow and gets hung up between pages sometimes.

Josh-L
10-11-06, 20:24
It has been crazy slow the last three days. So slow the home page never even loaded before I gave up. Now it's running just as fast as every other site. Weird.

TWR
02-17-07, 18:50
The site is still locking up on me, I can bounce around about 4 or 5 different threads or topics and then click to another topic and nothing happens, it eventualy says page can not be displayed. Any ideas? I'm using cable internet and don't have this problem anywhere else, the site is fast enough when it works.

C4IGrant
02-18-07, 12:42
The site is still locking up on me, I can bounce around about 4 or 5 different threads or topics and then click to another topic and nothing happens, it eventualy says page can not be displayed. Any ideas? I'm using cable internet and don't have this problem anywhere else, the site is fast enough when it works.

I get that sometimes as well (actually get it on just about every forum I surf). I just simply hit the refresh button and go on.

C4

TWR
02-26-07, 07:22
Thanks to whoever fixed it but since the site was hacked it has worked without locking up for a week now.