PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Noveske 16" Basic. Buy now, or later?

loac
06-28-08, 19:01
So the situation is that a told my wife that I want an AR for my graduation present when I graduate with my Master's degree in 10 months. :D

I also told her that the prices on rifles might be going up before then, and she said I could buy one now, but couldn't "play with it" until I graduate.

The main disadvantage to buying now, it that our money will be tied up in a rifle I can't use. And if I change my mind as to what rifle I want (maybe the Masada will be for sale by then), it's too late.

So, what would you do, but now or later? :)

Magsz
06-28-08, 19:30
Please dont take offense at this but what are you...10?

If you're going to buy the rifle, use it. Keep working towards your goal, afterall, you have to buy ammo somehow right? Better get that degree so you can earn more money.

Be mature about it and dont let your new purchase divert your attention away from your ultimate goal.

uspopo
06-28-08, 19:47
If you cannot spare the funds because of financial concerns then I would hold off until after you graduate. If you must have it then buy complete lower first and this way you have something to work towards later.

Stan

CLHC
06-28-08, 19:51
Buy now! Kind of like an "investment," if you will. . .:D

By the way, Welcome to M4C!

loac
06-29-08, 00:25
Please dont take offense at this but what are you...10?

If you're going to buy the rifle, use it. Keep working towards your goal, afterall, you have to buy ammo somehow right? Better get that degree so you can earn more money.

Be mature about it and dont let your new purchase divert your attention away from your ultimate goal.

I love it when people say "Please don't take offense" and then insult you. Very classy.

You see, I was under the impression that this is a forum for talking about rifles, right? What to buy, when to buy, tips on shooting and stuff.

My post was basically inviting speculation about whether the price of rifles will go up or not. If they do, then it would be smarter to buy now rather then later- even if I just keep the rifle locked up for a few months.

I appreciate the comments that weren't insulting and condescending.:p

06-29-08, 00:35
I love it when people say "Please don't take offense" and then insult you. Very classy.

You see, I was under the impression that this is a forum for talking about rifles, right? What to buy, when to buy, tips on shooting and stuff.

My post was basically inviting speculation about whether the price of rifles will go up or not. If they do, then it would be smarter to buy now rather then later- even if I just keep the rifle locked up for a few months.

I appreciate the comments that weren't insulting and condescending.:p
Personally, I'd ignore folks who insult you. Back to the original question, I would get it now, if I were in your shoe. But, that's only if I can afford it outright. If money is really tight, then I'd wait. But, then, 10 months, that's April - May 2009! That's when Barack Obama is in the WH!:eek: Dilemma, dilemma.:p

AwaySooner
06-29-08, 01:01
Obama is not going to be able to do much for the first few months, plus the economy would be so shitty he'll have other things to worry about than waging another AWB. Why buy now if you can't shoot it? Can you take 10 months of torture?

R.Miksits
06-29-08, 09:38
Instead of calling it torture, imagine the fun he could have with it and his wife at the same time.......

Still wouldnt be shooting it..........

And the wife would probley have some fun with it too.....

Im shutting up before i get banned....

R.Miksits

Mung
06-29-08, 10:07
Buy now cuz ya never know when the zombies are coming.:D Just tell her you won't shoot it unless it's an emergency.

Master_of_Sparks
06-29-08, 10:47
I know it's going to sound insulting but I promise you I don't mean it that way. Take it from someone thats been married 26 years, and witnessed many other marriages. If you are asking your wife if you can buy a gun, you have already made serious mistakes that you need to straighten out. You have issues that you need to work out before you worry about permission to buy a gun.
Im not trying to insult you, I really am trying to give you sound advice for your future as a man.
Congratulations on your Masters.

Failure2Stop
06-29-08, 11:09
I am assuming that you already have a defensive option, and are viewing this upcoming purchase as most view the purchase of a new TV.

In your shoes, I would like to think that I would have the intestinal fortitude to just save up money for the 10 months so I could get exactly what I want (whether you want a, ACR, CAR, BM, LMT, whatever), with all the goodies in one shot.

However, the reality is that I do not have that kind of self-restraint, and would buy it immediately, using the upcoming election and price increase as my excuse.

22_Shooter
06-29-08, 11:44
Buy it now!:D

Seriously, I'd buy it now, or like someone else suggested, at least get the lower. Also, congrats on getting your Masters!

I know it's going to sound insulting but I promise you I don't mean it that way. Take it from someone thats been married 26 years, and witnessed many other marriages. If you are asking your wife if you can buy a gun, you have already made serious mistakes that you need to straighten out. You have issues that you need to work out before you worry about permission to buy a gun.
Im not trying to insult you, I really am trying to give you sound advice for your future as a man.
Congratulations on your Masters.

Did you even read his post? Where does it say he's asking permission to buy a rifle? He said he told his wife what he wanted from her for a graduation present.

Is this the Dr. Phil forum now?:confused:

Master_of_Sparks
06-29-08, 12:01
OK, I was way out of line. I apologize.

texasyid
06-29-08, 12:07
If it were me and I was SURE that is what I wanted, I would get it now. It won't get any cheaper IMHO. Besides you can still fondle it right.

loac
06-29-08, 12:19
I am assuming that you already have a defensive option, and are viewing this upcoming purchase as most view the purchase of a new TV.

In your shoes, I would like to think that I would have the intestinal fortitude to just save up money for the 10 months so I could get exactly what I want (whether you want a, ACR, CAR, BM, LMT, whatever), with all the goodies in one shot.

However, the reality is that I do not have that kind of self-restraint, and would buy it immediately, using the upcoming election and price increase as my excuse.

Right now, I have an XD9, XD40, and Ruger 10/22, so I am ok with regards to self defense.

loac
06-29-08, 12:21
Thanks for all the advice. (Marital and otherwise) I think I will keep looking at the various options, and pick one up in a few months.

Master_of_Sparks
06-29-08, 12:37
Thanks for all the advice. (Marital and otherwise) I think I will keep looking at the various options, and pick one up in a few months.
;) No harm meant.

Razorhunter
06-29-08, 12:58
Buy the gun now and shoot it now. Tell your wife she has ZERO say in weapon related issues. Listen to those who have been married before...

Abraxas
06-29-08, 13:18
Personally, I'd ignore folks who insult you. Back to the original question, I would get it now, if I were in your shoe. But, that's only if I can afford it outright. If money is really tight, then I'd wait. But, then, 10 months, that's April - May 2009! That's when Barack Obama is in the WH!:eek: Dilemma, dilemma.:p

+1 to that

AwaySooner
06-29-08, 13:46
I would get it now, after your graduation, if you get a better job, then you get another one, ACR, SCAR, whatever. There's a formula out there, I think "1 Ar15 = 5 pair of shoes + 1 half karat diamond necklace".

Detective_D
06-29-08, 15:20
ummmmm.....buy one now and another in 10 months????? ;)

RogerinTPA
06-29-08, 16:13
I'd buy now because these shoot sticks have a tendency to go up in price over a short period of time. If I were you, I'd get another part time job to fund the purchase and ammo, AND to help the wife out so your budget doesn't go in the crapper. FYI, you have until NOV to save and purchase. No pressure!

RyanS
06-29-08, 17:17
I would get it now, after your graduation, if you get a better job, then you get another one, ACR, SCAR, whatever. There's a formula out there, I think "1 Ar15 = 5 pair of shoes + 1 half karat diamond necklace".

I agree with this one. Were it me, I'd get it now and I'd sleep well at night knowing that I have what I consider one of the best ARs out there all ready and waiting. Ten months is a long time and there's no telling what can happen financially, politically, etc. by April or May of next year. You may find a great job upon obtaining your Master and be able to afford another rifle (there's nothing wrong with two), or you may find that disposable income has shrunk and not be able to afford it. Also, in the mean time, you can start buying mags and ammo. Another very real danger is Obama taking the WH and I am not as comfortable as some that he won't be able to push a ban through.

45r
06-29-08, 17:56
buy it now :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/forty5r/Shoots/Noveske.jpg

Failure2Stop
06-29-08, 19:06
Right now, I have an XD9, XD40, and Ruger 10/22, so I am ok with regards to self defense.

Well everything should be ok as long as you have a 10/22. . .:p

nickdrak
06-29-08, 21:43
Have her get the Noveske for you know. Start saving up some money for when you graduate, and use it for a few thousand rounds of ammo, both training and defensive ammo, and a two day carbine course with one of the many excellent trainers out there.

I wouldnt even consider spending a lump of cash on a new weapon system like the Masada. Let it work any potential issues out, and grow through the inevitable revisions that will occur over the first several months it is on the market, then consider one.

Ricardus
06-30-08, 09:56
I'm going to chime in here. Buy it now! Nobody knows the future and it is vry difficult to make predictions especially in the light of economic and political uncertainties.
My wife suggested that I use the "stimulus" money and so I bought the LMT and added a Troy BUIS and Troy MRF-DI. :D
I am new to this forum and have learnt a lot from the expertise demonstrated here.
Even though I have been around M16s, on and off, since 1975, I do not consider myself an expert on the black rifle.
Lastly, I am most grateful to various members of this website for the excellent material found here.

toddackerman
06-30-08, 18:31
Buy now! You might not be able to if the Assault Weapons Ban is re-enacted after November by Obama...If of course he wins, which he very well could.

theJanitor
06-30-08, 18:55
on a lighter note, i say buy it now. then in a month tell her that you need to fire it and seriously test it out before the warranty period is up ;) once you use it, she might not care about not using it for 10 months.

loac
06-30-08, 20:35
on a lighter note, i say buy it now. then in a month tell her that you need to fire it and seriously test it out before the warranty period is up ;) once you use it, she might not care about not using it for 10 months.

You guys are very sneaky...I admire that.

RyanS
06-30-08, 22:13
You guys are very sneaky...I admire that.

Did you order it yet?

loac
06-30-08, 22:26
Did you order it yet?

No, like I said on the last page, I think I will wait a few months and then order it. Although it will be difficult to wait that long.

Thanks for all the advice.

RRMan03
07-01-08, 00:02
If you can make women and guns mix you are a hell of a man. I make the gun decisions and she makes all the rest of them.Seems to work out pretty good.Heck she even like to hunt and watch football and how good is that. Did I mention she has lots of money and I am a house pet.

rugerdawg
07-01-08, 09:21
Buy it now and take it and your wife out to play. In ten months she'll be ready for her own.

Magsz
07-01-08, 11:52
I apologize, i wasnt intending to offend you with the post which is why i put the disclaimer there because it COULD or could NOT have been read as an insult and unfortunately it was. For that i apologize.

The point that i was trying to make is that no one can make up your mind for you, we can merely help influence your decision for good or bad.

Talk with the wife about it, lay out a list of pros and cons and figure out what you TWO want to do. Afterall, yourself and your wife will be the only ones who are affected by the decision, not us.

Yeesh, someone else mentioned it but yeah, isnt this forum about shooting? I feel all emotional now, i think im going to go watch Oprah... :D