PDA

View Full Version : How do I find my step dad's military service # ?

FlyingHunter
12-22-14, 18:57
My step dad's health has declined. His direct wishes were no nursing home and we are doing our best to manage his care at home. We have both home health and companion sitting services. His sitting service alerted us to a veteran benefit that helps pay for sitting service. The forms require a service number. That's where I need help. He is not cognitively aware enough to help. That's why I'm asking for help - primarily where do I go to find his "service number" to complete the application for benefits to assist with home care.

Here's what I know from what he's told me in the past:

Served Ft. Benning 1951-53. He had a desk job, and while we were technically at war in 1951 with Korea, he never left Ft. Benning. He was a PFC rank and honorably discharged.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
In advance, thank you.

Caduceus
12-22-14, 20:13
Army I presume?

I suppose if you know his SSN , try this:

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

Might be on old dog tags or his DD 214 (if they had those, which I think they did).

FlyingHunter
12-22-14, 20:29
Army I presume?

I suppose if you know his SSN , try this:

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/

Might be on old dog tags or his DD 214 (if they had those, which I think they did).

Army is correct. Yep, I thought having his SS# and power of attorney would work, but apparently not. We've searched and cannot find his DD 214 or dog tags.

Thanks for the website link. I found that earlier and here's the rub...it has the "service number" as required.

From the instructions on the website:

Required Information

Your request must contain certain basic information for us to locate your service records. This information includes:

The veteran's complete name used while in service
Service number
Social security number
Branch of service
Dates of service
Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).
If you suspect your records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:
Place of discharge
Last unit of assignment
Place of entry into the service, if known.

Thanks for reaching out.

Averageman
12-22-14, 21:37
Do you have any of his paperwork from the Military? Even an old set of orders might have it on there.
My Dad was in the service at about the same time, if he has any framed pictures, take the back off and look whats behind the photo.

cwgibson
12-22-14, 22:03
You need his DD 214, try here. I used something similar to find my old one when it burnt up in my house.

http://dd214.us/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tailrotor
12-22-14, 22:17
You don't have to have your step-father's service number to request his DD214...just try to include as much of the information you can, especially birth info.
However, if your step-father is unable to sign the SF180, you're not a legal guardian, or you don't have a power-of-attorney then it might be hard to get the records. There is another option...the records are archived 62 years after the discharge date, which means they can be accessed without a signature. That would give you access on the discharge month/day in 2015 (if my math is right).

Not the best option when time can be critical, but something to fall back on.
http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/archival-programs/division.html

Jim

Iraqgunz
12-22-14, 22:27
Something to be aware of. Many personnel records were destroyed during the fire that hit the NPRC in 1973. Unfortunately the wheels turn slowly and you are going to have a tough time locating them without the info. In addition, I would check the veracity of the statement made by the sitting service. I would highly doubt any such benefit unless that person was retired.

Also notice above that it states (place and date of birth especially if the service number is not known). Your best bet is to provide as much information as you can to them, to include SSN. That should be very easy for you to locate.

Irish
12-22-14, 23:01
Is he rated as a disabled veteran? If so, what is he rated for, and at what percentages? I believe he needs to be rated to obtain the type of service you're referring to.

I would seek out a VSO (Veteran Service Organization) like the VFW, DAV, PVA, etc. and see if they can help you.

This may be of some help: http://www.va.gov/geriatrics/Guide/LongTermCare/Nursing_Home_and_Residential_Services.asp

Spurholder
12-23-14, 07:58
One of the faster ways of obtaining service records is through a state's war records office. These offices are usually colocated with the National Guard headquarters for that state.

You'll need to ask for and return a Privacy Act statement, and (at least in my state), turnaround can be as quick as a couple of hours. Only one catch - the only way this office wil have a copy is if, during out-processing, the service member in question said "yes" to "do you want a copy of your records to go to the state department of veterans affairs" question.

Good luck.

FlyingHunter
12-23-14, 19:57
Thanks to everyone for their help, guidance, and direction. Everyone's comments have been helpful.

For those who have never cared for an elderly parent in their waning days, it can be challenging to manage your normal daily expectations and mange their challenges as well. That said, I'm proud to have the opportunity and will provide all the care and support I can.

We were able to gain a little traction on this issue today. I reached the local VFW representative today and he was both informative and helpful. He was able to confirm the validity of the program offered to veterans which interestingly is only available for veterans who served during war time and it's regardless or your role e.g. front line vs stateside desk job. While my step dad is not considered a disabled veteran as he suffered no military service related injuries, there are some benefits for him related to payment for home care.

Again, thanks to all of you for your support and helping us move in a meaningful direction for his care.