PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training Vs Running on abdomina fat

WillBrink
12-23-14, 08:05
A combination of resistance training and aerobics is best, but weight training was found superior:

Why weight training is better for your waistline than running

A new Harvard study has found that weight training is a better way of keeping the middle-aged spread at bay than aerobic activity

In the coming weeks, many of us will find our thoughts turning to how best to shift the weight we've gained over Christmas.

For some that will mean joining the local gym, while others will dust off their trainers and take up running.

But which activity is best for getting rid of those extra pounds?

According to a new study, weight training is the most effective way of keeping abdominal fat in check, compared to other activities such as running or cycling.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health measured the activity levels of over 10,000 men aged 40-plus, monitoring their weight and waist circumference over a 12-year period.
Related Articles

They found that those men who spent an extra 20 minutes a day weight training gained less abdominal weight over the course of the study than men who increased the amount of time they spent doing aerobic exercise.

Combining weight training with aerobic exerise led to even better results, the study found.

Frank Hu of Harvard School of Public Health said: "This study underscores the importance of weight training in reducing abdominal obesity, especially among the elderly.

"To maintain a healthy weight and waistline, it is critical to incorporate weight training with aerobic exercise."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11310141/Why-weight-training-is-better-for-your-waistline-than-running.html

Harvard press release:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/weight-training-appears-key-to-controlling-belly-fat/

Voodoo_Man
12-23-14, 09:05
Where does rucking heavy weight fall in? Since it can be in the middle?

nimdabew
12-23-14, 09:46

Somewhere between nope and forgettaboutit.

WillBrink
12-23-14, 09:57

It's going to depend on a number of variables, such as how long the ruck, the weight used, the pace you keep, etc. as to which energy systems used and effects. 2 miles on a 25 degree incline with 50% of your BW will have a different effect than 8 miles on level ground with 30lbs. and so forth. It might be a good place to employ heart rate monitor to give you some idea of the training effects you're getting.

nova3930
12-23-14, 10:42
Talk about good timing. My doc told me at my recent visit that my waistline and belly fat needs to be my #1 priority. Eliminating sugar was my first step which has helped quite a bit (2 belt notches thus far) and the second is going to be excercise after the Christmas binge. Really appreciate the info you provide WB. :D

WillBrink
12-23-14, 11:21
Talk about good timing. My doc told me at my recent visit that my waistline and belly fat needs to be my #1 priority. Eliminating sugar was my first step which has helped quite a bit (2 belt notches thus far) and the second is going to be excercise after the Christmas binge. Really appreciate the info you provide WB. :D

Rgr rgr Nova. One step at a time, long term simple changes.

brickboy240
12-23-14, 11:42
I don't doubt this study.

I have found, personally, that lifting heavy things is what truly keeps the gut away. My mt. biking is great for keeping toned calves and quads but free weights and multi-joint lifts and the 5x5 plan have given the best results. My. biking alone still left me a small gut (I like to eat...sorry! LOL) and did little for upper body at all.

The weight training has also improved my tennis game as well as my endurance on the mt. bike.

I am sold on weight training and it will always be a part of my life.

Shao
12-23-14, 12:04
I've known this for years. I got onto a running kick around 2004 or so and actually started getting fatter. I hit the weights harder and had Men's Fitness Magazine abs in like 3 months. I always tell people that if they want to lose weight, skip the aerobics and hit the weight room. By growing muscle mass, you increase your resting metabolic rate = good. Essentially, your body burns more calories in a resting state just to sustain its muscle mass.

brickboy240
12-23-14, 14:09
Years of running also gave me plantar faciitis and a bad knee. The treadmill was even worse on my heel than running on the streets.

My heel and knees don't hurt from lifting heavy things! LOL

Only thing I had to learn in regards to weights was that getting toned and strong is a marathon...not a sprint. Slowing down my "progress" and concentrating on form over heavier weights was a concept I had to learn by doing. Once I understood this...I stopped getting injuries and soreness.

Shao
12-23-14, 14:41
Years of running also gave me plantar faciitis and a bad knee. The treadmill was even worse on my heel than running on the streets.

Only thing I had to learn in regards to weights was that getting toned and strong is a marathon...not a sprint. Slowing down my "progress" and concentrating on form over heavier weights was a concept I had to learn by doing. Once I understood this...I stopped getting injuries and soreness.

I had similar problems from running and heavy weights. I mostly do calisthenics now. If I were to lift heavy weights I would get too big due to my hypogonadism. I like to stay lean and fast.

brickboy240
12-23-14, 15:18
I cannot prove it but I think running on the treadmill (like I did for years) accelerated the problems with my heel. Good thing the mt. bike does not affect one's heels.

I also think that weights PLUS biking and tennis is what keeps me thin. I like to eat and that too is incompatible with remaining thin! LOL

Another thing I have noticed after starting lifting is that many shirts I own are tighter only in the shoulders. they fit everywhere else but the shoulders are a bit tight in some shirts and some of my more "fitted" shirts...well..I had to give them to Goodwill. I have also dropped 2 waist sizes since starting weights. At age 49 hey - I will take it.

These are problems...but ones I can live with! LOL

Trajan
12-23-14, 19:39
When I was MT biking every day or so last year, I found I couldn't make any gains.

How does one gain muscle AND lose fat? Isn't that impossible (outside of steroids or noobgains)?

Enoch
12-23-14, 22:14
By growing muscle mass, you increase your resting metabolic rate = good. Essentially, your body burns more calories in a resting state just to sustain its muscle mass.

^^This^^

However, there are some cardiovascular/health benefits aside from weight loss that may be better achieved with running, biking, swimming, etc.

There are some strong boys who look fit and can't run around the block. That certainly is not optimal.

tylerw02
12-24-14, 10:18
Good reminder. Basic anatomy says muscle mass trumps. Also, it seems to me, guys that weight train also eat more lean meats and proteins. I wonder if they studied nutritional habits of these participants as wel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickmy
12-24-14, 11:32
Ran a marathon last fall and never lost any considerable amount of weight. Lost a lot of upper body strength. Changed my diet (cut out booze and bread) and switched to crossfit/light running and lost a solid 20lbs that I didn't even know was there. I feel much better now. I also reduced nagging back pain as my core got stronger.

TAZ
12-24-14, 11:53
Also, it seems to me, guys that weight train also eat more lean meats and proteins. I wonder if they studied nutritional habits of these participants as wel?

This is a great point. You can exercise like a body builder and never loose any weight if you keep stuffing crap in your face. Been there. For me I have found that low carb eating and exercise work well to loose weight. Keeping it off is the trick. Once you get to your weight goal and body shape goal, you need to be very careful how you maintain it. Fast food and stress and... FUBAR those gains jiffy quick. Been there as well.

BuzzinSATX
12-24-14, 12:06
^^This^^

However, there are some cardiovascular/health benefits aside from weight loss that may be better achieved with running, biking, swimming, etc.

There are some strong boys who look fit and can't run around the block. That certainly is not optimal.
Good point...you simply have to have a balance for all around fitness. Personally, I like Pat Mac's approach, or even P90X type training. Full range resistance training with cardio worked best for me. Now, after passing 50 a few years back, I just have to get back into it more...

tylerw02
12-24-14, 12:13
This is a great point. You can exercise like a body builder and never loose any weight if you keep stuffing crap in your face. Been there. For me I have found that low carb eating and exercise work well to loose weight. Keeping it off is the trick. Once you get to your weight goal and body shape goal, you need to be very careful how you maintain it. Fast food and stress and... FUBAR those gains jiffy quick. Been there as well.

Amen to that. I was down around 165 a year ago. Did crossfit all summer and ate a ton of protein and put on 25-30 lbs the right way. Started back to college and have had a hard time with eating junk because of time.

chuckman
12-24-14, 12:29
It's going to depend on a number of variables, such as how long the ruck, the weight used, the pace you keep, etc. as to which energy systems used and effects. 2 miles on a 25 degree incline with 50% of your BW will have a different effect than 8 miles on level ground with 30lbs. and so forth. It might be a good place to employ heart rate monitor to give you some idea of the training effects you're getting.

I did not know these were still in vogue. What's the best way to use one?

J-Dub
12-24-14, 14:25
I would say diet has an enormous amount of influence as well.

I have personally found that alcohol and no cardio = weight gain. No alcohol plus high intensity interval training not only gets me cardio training I need, but it also ensures that I have gas in the tank for resistance training (on days that I do both).

Low intensity cardio work for long durations seems to be recipe for "skinny fatness", as in you lose all muscle tone and you get that "soft" look. Plus I think the wear and tear on the lower body is insane depending on mileage and duration.

But everyone is different...different goals, needs, etc. I think the main thing is, just do SOMETHING.

cbx
12-24-14, 14:54
I've started back into weight lifting after about 15 years of not, I am realizing that I have forgotten a lot of what I used to know.

I know this isn't exactly the topic but I am trying to do weight lifting and cardio training. I know a lot of you guys here know what you're doing in regards to fitness. I have done some research online but I cannot really find what I am looking for. Are there any good books or a web page or internet app that shows weight lifting technique and different types of weight lifts and schedules of what to do what day. . My work out schedule is such that it seems that I'm never able to go to the gym when there is a trainer there, it's not exactly a high end gym with people that know what they are doing either.

Any help or advice would be so appreciated. Thank you very much and Merry Christmas guys.

J-Dub
12-24-14, 17:55
I've started back into weight lifting after about 15 years of not, I am realizing that I have forgotten a lot of what I used to know.

I know this isn't exactly the topic but I am trying to do weight lifting and cardio training. I know a lot of you guys here know what you're doing in regards to fitness. I have done some research online but I cannot really find what I am looking for. Are there any good books or a web page or internet app that shows weight lifting technique and different types of weight lifts and schedules of what to do what day. . My work out schedule is such that it seems that I'm never able to go to the gym when there is a trainer there, it's not exactly a high end gym with people that know what they are doing either.

Any help or advice would be so appreciated. Thank you very much and Merry Christmas guys.

Lifts and techniques:
http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Training-Anatomy-3rd-Edition/dp/0736092269

^ pretty cheap and a good source.

As far as picking a specific split, or regiment, that's going to decide what you want to accomplish. Its going to determine the sets/reps/weight/periodization/etc.

WillBrink
12-24-14, 17:57
I did not know these were still in vogue. What's the best way to use one?

With some coaches and programs, they are used as one tool in the tool box to help target specific training effects. They are usually employed with endurance oriented athletes (runners especially) and give good approximation of energy systems used, conditioning level of the athletes, effort vs perceived effort, and even one possible sign of OTS. Some coaches can be highly specific with heart rate training programs with athletes. Like anything, one can over estimate the value of heart rate monitors, such as focusing too much on training in magic "fat burning zone" when trying to lose weight and so forth. Used correctly and intelligently, they can be used to help target the specific training effect you want.

Pete Pfitzinger, Two-time Olympian and exercise physiologist has a good article (as it applies to runners) discussion on use of heart rate monitors:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/heart-rate-monitor-how-tos

I also liked this article which talks about monitors being in vogue, not adding much, and making a come back as people have learned how to use the data they get from them:

http://running.competitor.com/2014/07/training/the-right-way-to-train-with-a-heart-rate-monitor_3156

Best way to use one would be to apply it to specific goals of the athlete using it. That is, applying heart rate monitor training to a 200 meter runner would not be the same as for say an ultra marathon runner etc.

pingdork
01-08-15, 00:29
Thanks for the link and info. My daily hike (30 min uphill) with the dog was getting me nowhere. Started doing 200 push-ups daily 3 months ago. Improved from 10 sets of 20 to 4x50. Went from 210 to 195 real quick, but has slowed down now. Recently started incorporating weights but just keeping it simple bench squat curls and mil press in my garage.

TehLlama
01-08-15, 00:51

Dude: awesome. Same boat, but my weight training intensity is pretty minimal (and my fat arse to a degree shows it), but my mountain biking has gotten more intense. What little core development oriented work I've done has been tremendously helpful. Still north of 230lb, but for how little effort I've put into it I don't deserve to be disappointed.

WillBrink
01-08-15, 09:36
Thanks for the link and info. My daily hike (30 min uphill) with the dog was getting me nowhere. Started doing 200 push-ups daily 3 months ago. Improved from 10 sets of 20 to 4x50. Went from 210 to 195 real quick, but has slowed down now. Recently started incorporating weights but just keeping it simple bench squat curls and mil press in my garage.

Add some planks and burpees perhaps. Not a huge fan of burpees but they take limited space and are BW only. Keeping it simple is all that's needed if your smart and efficient about it.

nova3930
01-08-15, 10:45
The more I think about it the better reading this makes me feel. Running has been my preferred cardio but as I've gotten to the ripe old age of 32, my right knee has started to have some serious arthritis. I had a really bad sprain in HS and the good Dr that I'm married to thinks I might have a piece of cartilage floating around in there. She keeps telling me I need to see the Osteo and at least get some imaging done to see what's going on but I'm stubborn and try to see drs I'm not married to as little as possible.

In the past I would run and it would hurt and I'd just push through but I'm probably doing more harm than good.

Have started back lifting though. Feel pretty good thus far.

chuckman
01-09-15, 07:45
I am 46, and my needs have changed. I have run the distances and don't care to do that any longer. Now, body weight stuff (read Spartan WOD), 5 mile-runs, light weight...keep my weight down, fat minimal, and train for the occasional mud run/obstacle race.

Honestly, the best thing I have found for eliminating fat has not been the exercise but the elimination of sugar from my diet.

platoonDaddy
01-09-15, 07:57
My brother who is 68 & retired went back to work around Thanksgiving part time at one of the FedEx terminals, has loss three inches off his waist line. He is on the 200 lb line and he said moving those boxes is kicking his ass, but he is getting back in shape.

strambo
01-20-15, 21:25
I just lift weights in a manner that also makes it cardio at the same time (anaerobic).

A 20-30 minute free weight circuit composed of 4 exercise super sets with 30sec. rest between is a full-body strength and cardio smoker!

Linea_de_Fuego
01-21-15, 00:14
I am 46, and my needs have changed. I have run the distances and don't care to do that any longer. Now, body weight stuff (read Spartan WOD), 5 mile-runs, light weight...keep my weight down, fat minimal, and train for the occasional mud run/obstacle race.

Honestly, the best thing I have found for eliminating fat has not been the exercise but the elimination of sugar from my diet.

Hey I agree with this, the best thing I have found for eliminating fat has not been the exercise but the elimination of sugar from my diet. Although it really is just burning more fuel than I consume. I had stopped jogging in favor of walking to be easier on my knees, but I would tell people my problem was that I could eat faster than I could walk. Now I started training on grass where I would jog for 100 yards then walk for 20 seconds then repeat, then adding sets of 20 push ups and 30 bicycle crunches.

The other key is consistency. Now that I am in my 60's I still need to burn off 10 pounds. That would put me under 170 pounds. Where I should be is somewhere between 160 and 170.

nova3930
01-21-15, 11:18
Finally back in the gym the last couple days and giving this philosophy a shot. Getting up way earlier than I have to sucks but I feel better with the activity. We'll see how it goes.

Hey I agree with this, the best thing I have found for eliminating fat has not been the exercise but the elimination of sugar from my diet.

When the doc told me I was showing early signs of Type 2 diabetes, I kicked the sugar habit and dropped 20 lbs and 2 belt notches in 6 weeks with no other changes. Just stuck to water, milk and unsweet tea for drinks and dropped the sweets.

chuckman
01-26-15, 09:12
My wife and I are doing this diet, called, I shit you not, "Trim Healthy Mama." It's about eliminating sugar/carbs, and eating the right proportions of fat and protein. Even if I don't exercise I lose weight. But if you look the diets out there--Sugar Busters, South Beach, Atkins--they all focus on sugar/carbs. Gotta be something to it.

nova3930
01-26-15, 09:15
My wife and I are doing this diet, called, I shit you not, "Trim Healthy Mama." It's about eliminating sugar/carbs, and eating the right proportions of fat and protein. Even if I don't exercise I lose weight. But if you look the diets out there--Sugar Busters, South Beach, Atkins--they all focus on sugar/carbs. Gotta be something to it.

I think it's the simple fact that, outside of the minority group of hard core active, people eat too much abject shit for their activity level, even those who hit the gym regularly. Cut the sugar/carbs and you're cutting most of the shit...

chuckman
01-26-15, 09:58
I think it's the simple fact that, outside of the minority group of hard core active, people eat too much abject shit for their activity level, even those who hit the gym regularly. Cut the sugar/carbs and you're cutting most of the shit...

No doubt, and very enlightening and educational process. People won't eat a Snickers because of the sugar (and they are right), but then go to a granola bar or trail mix, something they assume is healthy but in reality is just as bad. I think most "average" people have no clue how much sugar is in what they eat.

WillBrink
01-26-15, 10:03

Yes, good marketing. Diets that pick a few key foods to eliminate as the cure for all that ills us, sell better. Gluten for example, a current dietary boogie man various diet books written by experts (insert sarcasm face here...) are having people eliminate from their diets, etc. There's no reason to eliminate carbs from your nutrition. Limiting processed sugars and carbs (breads, white rice, sweets, etc), and focusing on higher fiber, nutritionally dense source of carbs, such a yams, beans, lentils, various vegetables, etc, is a long term nutritional approach. Non endurance athletes, approx 30% - 40% of cals can come from those foods.

nova3930
01-26-15, 10:05
No doubt, and very enlightening and educational process. People won't eat a Snickers because of the sugar (and they are right), but then go to a granola bar or trail mix, something they assume is healthy but in reality is just as bad. I think most "average" people have no clue how much sugar is in what they eat.

It's insidious in a way. Looking around the grocery store for some healthy no-sugar/no artificial sweetener snacks was like looking for a unicorn. Even plain old planters dry roasted peanuts have sugar in them.

http://www.planters.com/varieties/nutrition-information.aspx?Site=1&Product=2900007325

Only the publix brand peanuts didn't have sugar in them...

WillBrink
01-26-15, 10:53
It's insidious in a way. Looking around the grocery store for some healthy no-sugar/no artificial sweetener snacks was like looking for a unicorn. Even plain old planters dry roasted peanuts have sugar in them.

http://www.planters.com/varieties/nutrition-information.aspx?Site=1&Product=2900007325

Only the publix brand peanuts didn't have sugar in them...

I see a ton of "natural" peanut butters on the shelves of the local super market with no sugar added. But yes, people need to read labels. Sugar and or salt is added to all sorts of things people might not expect, so learning to take a few seconds to read some labels prevents a surprise later on when some wise guy like me tells you it's garbage. :cool:

nova3930
01-26-15, 11:04
My wife thought i was nuts when I told her the peanuts had sugar in them. She had to read the label herself. And really it is nuts. Plain peanuts shouldn't need anything more than a light salting to taste good.

chuckman
01-26-15, 11:14
There are a metric shit-ton of products designed/marketed to deliver an aura of being healthy: dried fruit, dairy products/yogurt, bars of various types, nuts, all have a ton of sugar. I have always read labels but now do it with a keener eye, and my wife tends to do most of her shopping on the outside ailes.

nova3930
01-26-15, 11:17
sho nuff. I've even started cooking a lot more from scratch so that I know exactly what is in what we're eating and in what amounts. takes more time but the end product tastes better no to mention being better for you.

WillBrink
01-26-15, 11:59
My wife thought i was nuts when I told her the peanuts had sugar in them. She had to read the label herself. And really it is nuts. Plain peanuts shouldn't need anything more than a light salting to taste good.

The common brands we grew up with such as Jiff, Skippy, etc. quite a bit of sugar added and you can really taste it if you compare to other peanut butters.

nova3930
01-26-15, 12:04
The common brands we grew up with such as Jiff, Skippy, etc. quite a bit of sugar added and you can really taste it if you compare to other peanut butters.

I'm talking just plain peanuts my man, not even peanut butter. Planters dry roasted peanuts have 2g of sugar per serving. Here's the ingredients list

Ingredients: PEANUTS, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SEA SALT, SPICES (CONTAINS CELERY), DRIED ONION, DRIED GARLIC, PAPRIKA, NATURAL FLAVOR, SUGAR, GELATIN, TORULA YEAST, CORNSTARCH, DRIED CORN SYRUP, MALTODEXTRIN

WillBrink
01-26-15, 12:18
I'm talking just plain peanuts my man, not even peanut butter. Planters dry roasted peanuts have 2g of sugar per serving. Here's the ingredients list

Ahhh, got it. Basic jar of snack peanuts. Rgr rgr. 2g is pretty minimal in truth, and I personally wouldn't sweat it if I wanted a few handful of peanuts to go with my beer. Some of that would also come from the cornstarch and malto, and naturally occurring.

tylerw02
01-26-15, 12:24

They want you addicted.

nova3930
01-26-15, 12:24
Yeah, it's really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme, it was just a little shocking to see added sugar in the ingredients.

The store brand that I bought, has only peanuts, salt, cornstarch and paprika listed in the ingredients and it still has 1g of sugar per serving.

And the snacks are mostly for when I'm wasting away at work in the afternoons so no beer unfortunately :(

Boredome is the biggest enemy of my appetite control. If I'm busy I can not eat all day. Let me be bored and I want to munch constantly...

WillBrink
01-26-15, 15:40
Yeah, it's really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme, it was just a little shocking to see added sugar in the ingredients.

The store brand that I bought, has only peanuts, salt, cornstarch and paprika listed in the ingredients and it still has 1g of sugar per serving.

And the snacks are mostly for when I'm wasting away at work in the afternoons so no beer unfortunately :(

Boredome is the biggest enemy of my appetite control. If I'm busy I can not eat all day. Let me be bored and I want to munch constantly...

If it didn't fall off a tree in front of you or you didn't kill it yourself with a spork, assume they have found a way to add some sugar and/or salt and/or fat to it. Follow that rule, and you wont be surprised ever again. :cool:

brickboy240
01-27-15, 11:26
True.

Even the almond butters are not really any better for you.

Read labels and try to stick to things that look more like they do in nature and you will always be better off. This is not always easy to do but I know that my path to being thinner and more fit has also come from eating more whole foods and ditching fast foods and sodas.

Strange thing is...the longer you go without those things...you will end up NOT craving them. Sounds odd at first but I never crave a Coke or greasy fast foods anymore.

WillBrink
01-27-15, 17:15
They want you addicted.

Who's "they"? CIA? Aliens? Masons? :ph34r:

nova3930
01-27-15, 17:40
Who's "they"? CIA? Aliens? Masons? :ph34r:

Bigfoot is in cahoots with the lizard people and the moon nazis you know....