PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on removing a stuck front sight on M&P 9c

jdavis6576
12-23-14, 13:01
Recently I traded into a M&P 9c. Trijicon HDs arrived yesterday so this morning I began to replace the factory sights. The rear came out easily enough and with some sanding the HD rear went in OK but there are a few brass marks on the sight.

I then moved to the front to remove the factory sight. I called S&W to confirm which way to drift out the front sight, per their Customer Service it doesn't matter which direction to drift it out. Two hours later (I'm home with my kids today and had numerous interruptions) the sight hasn't moved that much but it is beat to hell at the base. A brass punch was like a pixie straw so I moved to a steel punch and The Hammer of Thor. It still won't come out and the sight is getting deformed to the point it is difficult to get leverage.

I called S&W and they didn't really have any suggestions. What say the hive? Dare I grab the Dremel?

steyrman13
12-23-14, 13:09
Have you tried some pb blaster and heat? They are in there pretty tight and get really beat and bent taking then out and putting them in

HeavyDuty
12-23-14, 13:25
I'd Kroil or PB Blast it overnight first. It goes out the same way as the rear, left to right as seen from the back of the slide. I've had a few that were a bitch to get out.

If all else fails tape it up well, put it in a vise and carefully hacksaw straight down through the sight blade into the dovetail of the sight. When you get about 3/4 of the way through the dovetail (long before you bottom out) the tension will be relieved and you should be able to tap the sight out. I prefer hacksaws for this, with a Dremel all it takes is one slip...

DaveR
12-23-14, 16:05
I've only taken mine out once and it wasn't easy.

I put it in the freezer to shrink the metal and that finally worked for me. Like HeavyDuty says, left to right.

Dave

jdavis6576
12-23-14, 16:52
Three hours in the freezer, PB Blaster, a square punch and The Hammer of Thor finally drove it out. HDs installed, will shoot it this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions.