PDA

View Full Version : FNS-40 or FNS-9

Bret
12-23-14, 20:18
I'm looking at getting a full sized striker fired polymer framed pistol. I fondled an FNS and was pretty pleased with how it felt. Any reason to avoid the FNS? What about in regard to the cartridge it's chambered for? I can get a 40S&W black slide with night sights for $410 or a 9mm for $460. The 9mm seems to be more popular. I have pistols in both cartridges and like them both. Any reason to pay $50 more for the 9mm other than long term ammo costs?

m1a_scoutguy
12-23-14, 22:07
I am a huge FNS 9mm fan,,I have had one for a few years ! Caliber is a personal choice,,I got rid of all my 40 S&W guns and now concentrate on only 9mm & 45 acp. If you buy ammo,,,really doesn't matter,although 9mm is cheaper I would think ! If ya reload then its up to you,,I like to just reload for the 2 rds as my "main" choices,,have to load and make 40 S&W just seemed like to much "extra" work,,LOL Get what ya think is best for YOU. :)

HKGuns
12-23-14, 22:19
Never shot an FN pistol before but as to the caliber, it will be easier to sell the 9mm than the 40. 40 seems to be fading a bit in popularity and don't move as quickly as a 9 on the secondary market in my observation.

Bret
12-25-14, 10:02
Does anyone know if the FNS was originally designed as a 40S&W (like a H&K USP) or a 9mm?

saints75
12-25-14, 17:27
I think it is on the 40 cal frame. I know FN had a kit that had a 9 and 40 slid and you used the same frame. If the 9 mm is on a 40 made frame just means it is built stronger. That is what I understand. Most 9 mm are made on the 40 Cal frame. Again it is what I understand.

Voodoo_Man
12-25-14, 18:39
If you have to pick one of the two, I would get the FNS9 simply for 9mm preference.

I bought an FNS9 when they first came out and did a very short review - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2012/10/fns-9-repost.html

Biggest issue I could not get over - trigger. It sucked. I do not know if they fixed it since then.

Also the safety/ambi controls are pointless IMHO.

CanineCombatives
12-25-14, 20:14
Same, trigger was the real dealbreaker for me, that and the tactile controls, slide stop only no release, tiny mag
release button etc, but the trigger reset is very long and easy to miss on splits.

saints75
12-25-14, 20:33
I heard the trigger on the FNS was really good for a stock trigger.

Nola_Jack
12-25-14, 23:25
I got away from FN pistols after an FN 45. The thing was horrible about having rounds hang up in the mag and was generally a turd. If I had to pick one it would be a 9mm. Since I don't, it is a glock.

Voodoo_Man
12-26-14, 10:19
I heard the trigger on the FNS was really good for a stock trigger.

Compared to....NY1 Glock? Yeah, definitely. But to am OEM "dot" or "minus" connector it's not even close.

gunrunner505
12-26-14, 12:01
Buddy of mine has an FNS9. Very nice gun. Accurate and shoots well. He ran it it in the CCW class we took together. He got the second highest score on the qualifications. I wouldn't have any misgivings about picking one up.

Voodoo_Man
12-26-14, 12:19
Buddy of mine has an FNS9. Very nice gun. Accurate and shoots well. He ran it it in the CCW class we took together. He got the second highest score on the qualifications. I wouldn't have any misgivings about picking one up.

...So because someone shoots it very well and is accurate with it and did well in some class it's good?

Guess we should all buy hi-points then....

http://youtu.be/KjQk244oW9c

gunrunner505
12-26-14, 12:24

Voodoo_Man
12-26-14, 12:32
Not at all. The FNS is a well made pistol that runs well and is accurate.

You can make your Highpoint argument about the all masterful Glock if one was so inclined. Should we all start running that turd?

Either you did not understand what I posted (as sarcasm) or you are pissing on Glock's for some unknown reason?

I've posted my piece in reference to the FNS. I have nothing more to add.

gunrunner505
12-26-14, 12:39