PDA

View Full Version : UGH!! Final hassle. Surefire muzzle brake very slightly out of time. Approx 630

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-25-14, 02:03
UGH!! Final hassle. Surefire muzzle brake very slightly out of time. Approx 630. I over torque it to 35 pounds and I thought it was straight. But now that I look at it it is approx. 630 rather than 6. I am attaching a suppressor and only intend to shoot this rifle suppressed. Any issue? Should I break out the breaker bar. Any reason this might hurt the can?

Why is this such a pain in the keister!!?

Eurodriver
12-25-14, 06:12
5/8x24 or 1/2x28?

Makes a difference, but I'm still going to say 35 ft lbs is wayyyyyyy too much torque on a muzzle device. Especially for a precision bolt gun. I was at >40 and my groups opened up to 8" at 50 yards. Keep it less than 25 ft lbs, but 5/8x24 may be ok with 35. I don't know.

Muzzle device being out of time is a non issue. Some say that a brake with a closed bottom can affect the trajectory, and if it isn't at the bottom it will change it, but I fall into the camp that even if true, is irrelevant since it will always be consistent.

FWIW I shoot my AR suppressed and the brake is off by a whole 1:30. I got sick of playing with shims.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-25-14, 08:36
Yeah, I am concerned about going over spec on the torque. (5 lbs). Fortunately, the cases I have found where it made a diff were higher to much higher. I will take it out Monday to see. If it is a problem I will chop her to 18.