PDA

View Full Version : Any difference in xm193 or m193?

indawire
12-26-14, 12:24
I was just asked if there is any difference in the lettering prefex on 5.56 ammo ie: what does the "xm193" mean compared to just "m193". Anything at all or is this just some letter designation?

Digital_Damage
12-26-14, 15:18
an "X" from what I can see.

nate89
12-26-14, 15:44
From my understanding, the technical difference is that the XM193 was either not tested to the military standard, or did not pass for some reason. Also M193 can not be sold surplus, but XM193, it not technically being military ammo, can. I have heard they simply label them differently so they can sell them on the civilian market. I have never had any issues shooting it, and have never seen any problems at the range where we see quite a bit of it shot.

TomMcC
12-26-14, 16:08
M193 is an actual mil spec, and not too many manufacturers claim to meet it. Off the top of my head I think CBC calls their's M193. Does it actually meet the spec....I don't know. XM193 is only so so in my opinion. I've been into Wolf Gold from Taiwan lately and think it's much nicer ammo.

CatSnipah
12-26-14, 16:11
M193 is an actual mil spec, and not too many manufacturers claim to meet it. Off the top of my head I think CBC calls their's M193. Does it actually meet the spec....I don't know. XM193 is only so so in my opinion. I've been into Wolf Gold from Taiwan lately and think it's much nicer ammo.

Wolf Gold is all 223, no? They technically don't make it to 556 spec, I don't believe.

TomMcC
12-26-14, 16:19
Wolf Gold is all 223, no? They technically don't make it to 556 spec, I don't believe.

It looks to me like Taiwan's version of M193. It has a crimped and sealed primer, the bullet is sealed. It's annealed. And it clocked 3235fps out of my 20". It's way nicer looking than any Fed XM193 I've ever seen to boot. There's other .223 55 FMJ out there that's decent and I've shot lots of XM193 (NOT Independence), Wolf Gold is what I like right now and am storing for a rainie day.

abso
12-26-14, 19:49

If you check out wolf's actual website, they state it's m193.
http://www.wolfammo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=117

That being said, they still label it as .223 which contradicts the whole m193. The actual features of the ammo make it seem it's m193 though.

NickySantoro
12-27-14, 09:20
If you check out wolf's actual website, they state it's m193.
http://www.wolfammo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=117

That being said, they still label it as .223 which contradicts the whole m193. The actual features of the ammo make it seem it's m193 though.

It would be interesting to know if the projectile is also to M193 spec if the rest of the round is. IIRC, an M193 projectile would, in theory, yaw upon entering flesh, then break at the cannelure creating two wound channels.

CatSnipah
12-27-14, 10:43
It would be interesting to know if the projectile is also to M193 spec if the rest of the round is. IIRC, an M193 projectile would, in theory, yaw upon entering flesh, then break at the cannelure creating two wound channels.

Yeah you guys are getting to why I was asking.

I've shot a buttload of Wolf Gold, but never chronographed it. Always in AR chambers set for Multi, so I'm safe, of course.

You can find it listed as 223/556 or 223. If you compare velocity to their steel cased 223 line, it's not that much different for 55 gr (3250 vs 3241....same link as above, if curious).

I've seen a few who shot it out of a 223-only chamber.

TomMcC
12-27-14, 12:26
Steel case Wolf isn't nearly as fast as Gold. What's listed on manufacturer's spec sheets should be taken with a grain of salt. Steel is 250-300 fps slower. A fellow that goes by Molon did a pretty extensive write up on the M193 clones we have today. If you look up this thread he has listed the actual milspecs for the M193 bullet. For example the jacket must be guilding metal and .021 in +- .0002 in.

Does Gold or other clones meet this spec? Probably, but it would take some extensive investigation to confirm.

markm
12-27-14, 12:36

The M193 bullet, in my unscientific water jug tests, comes no where near the reliable fragmentation of an OTM... 77 gr especially. And the 77 frags reliably at much lower velocities.

I used to be a hard core M193 believer. Not anymore.

NickySantoro
12-27-14, 16:01
The M193 bullet, in my unscientific water jug tests, comes no where near the reliable fragmentation of an OTM... 77 gr especially. And the 77 frags reliably at much lower velocities.

I used to be a hard core M193 believer. Not anymore.

I can only judge by the Asian gentlemen whose acquaintance I made many years ago. They were sufficiently impressed by it to lay down and hold their breath forever. I have no real world experience with anything else and thus no basis for comparison.

rcasey02
12-29-14, 20:32
Iv always hear that the m and the xm lettering means no difference other than the xm is a the "civilian" classification and m is for military. That's what the guys at the ASP tod me on Pendleton anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enoch
12-29-14, 21:16
I can only judge by the Asian gentlemen whose acquaintance I made many years ago. They were sufficiently impressed by it to lay down and hold their breath forever. I have no real world experience with anything else and thus no basis for comparison.

Lmao!

Iraqgunz
12-29-14, 22:25
Magtech M193 is better than Federal's version and certainly better than the Federal Independence version.

Iraqgunz
12-29-14, 22:28
People get shot and killed with .32 pistols also, doesn't mean we should run out and buy any. No one is saying M193 isn't effective, but simply there are other options.

markm
12-30-14, 07:42
People get shot and killed with .32 pistols also, doesn't mean we should run out and buy any. No one isn't saying M193 isn't effective, but simply there are other options.

Exactly. M193 is a Good +/- performer. Whereas some of the OTM options are brilliant performers. And the OTM loads have much more forgiving velocity thresholds.