PDA

View Full Version : M&P VTAC, how are the doing?

m4brian
12-26-14, 16:15
(Particularly in 9mm)

How is the finish holding up? Sights still run well? Are they compatible with normal holsters?

How is accuracy in the latest editions?

Still think they are worth the extra dime for the sights and finish over the long haul?

Thanks.

Toecheese
12-26-14, 17:01
I agree...the sights alone are worth it. If only Smithy did something about the sloppy, pre-travel/over travel M&P trigger! LGS has the 9mm V-tac for $660, and it's calling my name.

jparish62
12-26-14, 17:07
I really want one and even having to throw in an apex trigger for the extra $$ I'd do it, but the wife wouldn castrate me when she found out.

Nightstalker865
12-26-14, 17:15
I agree...the sights alone are worth it. If only Smithy did something about the sloppy, pre-travel/over travel M&P trigger! LGS has the 9mm V-tac for $660, and it's calling my name.

That's a pretty good price! Especially if it's a new build date model. Mil/LE pricing on the the VTAC is $582. So $660 is excellent for LGS pricing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rushca01
12-26-14, 17:31
I have two of them, bought them as a pair, one was used the other was new in box. Accuracy is meh, and the trigger sucks. I have somewhat of an issue dropping in 300 dollars in parts...when guns like the PPQ and HK exist.

jparish62
12-26-14, 17:40
I have two of them, bought them as a pair, one was used the other was new in box. Accuracy is meh, and the trigger sucks. I have somewhat of an issue dropping in 300 dollars in parts...when guns like the PPQ and HK exist.

I bought mine used and all that was done was sights and the trigger and I like it just fine. I think the issue with expense is the older ones that had problems with the barrel lock up and such. The stock triggers suck but cost isn't that bad for upgrades.
Still agree the price should drop a bit to be more competitive and possibly increase sales but going to the low price end to make it more desirable instead of almost directly competing with the HK and Walther.

Toecheese
12-26-14, 17:53

good insight....my walther PPQ 5" just runs all day, and has one of the cleanest stock triggers on the market. I actually preder it to my Chiefs VP9, and I paid $600 plus tax!

plouffedaddy
12-26-14, 17:55
I bought mine used and all that was done was sights and the trigger and I like it just fine. I think the issue with expense is the older ones that had problems with the barrel lock up and such. The stock triggers suck but cost isn't that bad for upgrades.
Still agree the price should drop a bit to be more competitive and possibly increase sales but going to the low price end to make it more desirable instead of almost directly competing with the HK and Walther.

I think the current M&P triggers are pretty good.

rushca01
12-26-14, 17:56
good insight....my walther PPQ 5" just runs all day, and has one of the cleanest stock triggers on the market. I actually preder it to my Chiefs VP9, and I paid $600 plus tax!

My buddy has a PPQ and it is bar none the best striker fire trigger I have shot. If I could figure out which apex parts to buy to make my VTAC similar I would be all over it.

Toecheese
12-26-14, 17:59
they have definitely gotten better! I wish SW would come out with a line of competition pistols with an Apex trigger and precision sights from the factory. MR guns, you have a chance to run that apex flat face yet?

Toecheese
12-26-14, 18:02
My buddy has a PPQ and it is bar none the best striker fire trigger I have shot. If I could figure out which apex parts to buy to make my VTAC similar I would be all over it.

apex flat face all day! my plan is to find an M&P 45 on sale (under $500), drop $260 on the new apex and dawson sights, and have a decent little range plinker!

RWH24
12-26-14, 18:12
The Newest S&W M&P's are not bad, some polishing and the striker block replaced with the APEX USB makes for a pretty nice trigger.

Tzook
12-26-14, 19:58
I have a 9mm VTAC, and I have really really enjoyed it thus far. I don't know if I would say it does anything that a regular M&P 9 won't do, but it's been a really smooth accurate shooter so far. Trigger is very good, but it's gotten better than it used to be after about 2,000 rounds.

m4brian
12-27-14, 09:05
How is that "PVD" coating holding up? Anyone know what it really is?

Any problems recently with the fiber optic sights? (Early ones had some trouble with them falling out).

Thanks.

plouffedaddy
12-27-14, 14:59
they have definitely gotten better! I wish SW would come out with a line of competition pistols with an Apex trigger and precision sights from the factory. MR guns, you have a chance to run that apex flat face yet?

I haven't.

plouffedaddy
12-27-14, 15:01
How is that "PVD" coating holding up? Anyone know what it really is?

Any problems recently with the fiber optic sights? (Early ones had some trouble with them falling out).

Thanks.

http://www.oerlikon.com/balzers/en/know-how/coating-technologies/pvd-process/

The finish seems to wear more than the finish on top of the melonited versions. But less than Cerakote FWIW.

No issues with my sights.

jparish62
12-27-14, 15:11
I think the current M&P triggers are pretty good.

I haven't had a chance to use a newer stock trigger as my 2012 production came to me with the apex installed. I just remember the older ones left a lot to be desired. I remember dry firing one an just being completely disappointed.

That and the accuracy issues were what kept me from getting one for this long.

m4brian
12-27-14, 16:34
Lately trying out new triggers on M&P's, they seem more crisp, but still a bit stiff in the break. The 45s are still horrendously stiff. My mid-size 45 just came back from SW service and they put a new striker block in it that LOOKS like an Apex. Weird. With an Apex sear its a tad light and a little creep, but better. The more I look at the VTAC sights, the more I like them - at first it seemed counter-intuitive. But the FOs would be nice for my presbyopic eyes, and the nights don't even show in the daylight.

A friend's MP has the competition kit from APEX - it smokes. The takeup is completely smooth, and the break is truly 1911 like. Crisper as a glass rod, and light - likely too light for carry. Would be prefect if you had a stiff safety which the MP can employ.

I'd likely own ONLY PPQs - if they had the PPS slide stop which is a perfectly executed SS.

Me thinks the accuracy crisis is past the MP.

My 2012 MPs are in the same league with my G19 at 15 yards anyway, and I know most of the change was in 2013.

jparish62
12-27-14, 16:47
Me thinks the accuracy crisis is past the MP.

My 2012 MPs are in the same league with my G19 at 15 yards anyway, and I know most of the change was in 2013.

Well that's good to know. It's been a while since I've shot a glock and I've only recently shot my m&p but maybe only 10 rnds. Didn't even get a chance to set up a target. An accuracy test on mine will likely be next