PDA

View Full Version : DD 308???

Amur
12-27-14, 21:36
I happen to be in Barnes and nobles with my wife so was perusing the gun magazines. G&A ar-15 had a daniel defense edition that shows the in development DD 308. I looks absolutly awesome and of it can come in under 2500 would be a serious game changer....

Anyone heard anything about this?

16" chrome lined
Fully ambi!!!
Keymod forend

Amur

JulyAZ
12-27-14, 22:00
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/27/9d9feb3574bb6ec0d5c89c066e549e8a.jpg

Yup

JulyAZ
12-27-14, 22:01
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/27/c04dc07c4d35e8724f9e5851e5cf51b7.jpg

Benito
12-27-14, 22:04
Whoa. That is big news.

Amur
12-27-14, 22:14
That's the one!!!

steyrman13
12-27-14, 22:16
Wow. I like the CH. What do you imagine the two small screws are for inside by the mag catch?

JulyAZ
12-27-14, 22:16
That's the one!!!

Yea I buy this mag religiously, Book of the AR, and Small Arms Review are the only publications I buy.

JulyAZ
12-27-14, 22:19
Wow. I like the CH. What do you imagine the two small screws are for inside by the mag catch?

The article says it's only a prototype, perhaps it's a polymer printed lower? For strength reinforcement?

Also there is no barrel nut, the hand guard secures the barrel to the upper once torqued to the upper, hopefully Joe M can come weigh in here and tell us more http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/27/f943503403754dfe5dfdcee3859f78d8.jpg

atomic41
12-28-14, 09:12
Oh holy cow...does the article say when this is due out?

MistWolf
12-28-14, 09:26
The article says it's only a prototype, perhaps it's a polymer printed lower? For strength reinforcement?

Also there is no barrel nut, the hand guard secures the barrel to the upper once torqued to the upper, hopefully Joe M can come weigh in here and tell us more http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/27/f943503403754dfe5dfdcee3859f78d8.jpg

That right there is the deal breaker for me. I don't want to be stuck with a handguard I don't want

Amur
12-28-14, 09:39
I think the hand guard is perfectly acceptable. It's the same issue with KAC/LMT and Larue so....

Believe article stated TBD on release date.

jpmuscle
12-28-14, 09:49
Given the striations in the pic is the upper receiver the 3D printed part?

Nightstalker865
12-28-14, 10:28
Finally!!!! I have thought for a couple years now DD and BCM have dropped ball in not making a run at the 7.62/.308 market. Looks like a very promising product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MistWolf
12-28-14, 14:28
I think the hand guard is perfectly acceptable. It's the same issue with KAC/LMT and Larue so....

It's acceptable to some, but it's not what I want. Same reason I don't have a KAC or a LaRue. I don't want an upper that's limited to one handguard. Of all the "proprietary" parts found on various ARs, this is one I don't want to deal with

Palmguy
12-28-14, 15:05
Given the striations in the pic is the upper receiver the 3D printed part?

No, it's machined.

polydeuces
12-28-14, 18:35
On the flip-side, regardless of proprietary parts; they're seriously considering the AR308 market.
Meaning more options in parts for us.
Niiiiiice......
Maybe something for BCM to think about as well?

nate89
12-28-14, 19:07
Who knows how many variations of forends they will offer. I could see a .308 version of at least their V11 keymod forend, the modular tube, and a quad rail, plus the potential for others to make aftermarket parts. Another .308 to add into the mix is always good.

TAZ
12-28-14, 19:31

The whole no barely nut and using the hand guard to direct mount the barrel to the upper is interesting. Hoping that the item between the upper and the hand guard isn't some proprietary barrel extension. I can deal with a DD hand guard, but what if I want a Kreiger barrel? Hopefully its just an adapter plate to allow a standard barrel to be used. Like the idea though. Pull 4 screws and you can swap 308 to 260 to 6.5CM... I'd like to see the pricing. $2500 is too rich for my blood, but maybe if they have receiver kits available I can piece meal one together over time. This coupled with their hammer forged SS barrels and this cold be a very nice set up.

Chrisreedrules
12-28-14, 19:31
If they can price it around $2000 to $2200 I think they will have a good seller on their hands. More than that and I know I personally will lose interest with 2 .308 ARs already in the safe. I could personally care less about a full ambi lower but I know that matters to some.

And as far as BCM goes, I specifically asked about them coming out with a .308 AR to someone who is close to their operation and they told me, "not likely for 2015". But hopefully we can get a KMR for DPMS Hi and Lo profile rifles.

TehLlama
12-29-14, 00:13
It's acceptable to some, but it's not what I want. Same reason I don't have a KAC or a LaRue. I don't want an upper that's limited to one handguard. Of all the "proprietary" parts found on various ARs, this is one I don't want to deal with

Exact same response - anybody can site search and find all my various prognostication on this, but this particular DD prototype doesn't check those boxes, because there's a proprietary barrel nut/handguard attachment system that ties the upper into this.

That they're somewhere in the R&D cycle on one isn't 'news', the direction they seem to be going and the details are. I'm excited about that lower, but the upper/handguard is a dealbreaker for that particular model but a more conventional setup would be something I'm absolutely interested in, especially the S2W type flavor.

Sticks
12-29-14, 06:15
Proprietary upper on a proprietary lower - Odds are high it (lower) won't mate with anything else but a DD.

Me thinks it's gonna be another 3-5 years before we see anything resembling standardization in the .308 AR market.

MistWolf
12-29-14, 06:45
a more conventional setup would be something I'm absolutely interested in

Agreed

Proprietary upper on a proprietary lower - Odds are high it (lower) won't mate with anything else but a DD.

Me thinks it's gonna be another 3-5 years before we see anything resembling standardization in the .308 AR market.

We won't see a universal 308 AR until copyright and trademark issues are resolved

G.B.
12-29-14, 09:03
We won't see a universal 308 AR until copyright and trademark issues are resolved

The sad part is that all the manufacturers would benefit just like with the ar 15. Think about how many people don't consider the 308 ar platform just because of what a pain it is compared to guns like ptr 91's and fal's.

Benito
12-29-14, 11:58
I like that handguard. KeyMod, slim, long enough to fit anything I'm ever gonna put on it, and the attachment method looks sturdy as all hell.

jerrysimons
01-20-15, 00:02
Just got this magazine today, wow! Go find a copy!

There was a lot of engineering that went into this prototype. Yes the barrel extension is proprietary leaving you with only DD's option for rails and barrels but this proto-type is a well thought out package. The interface is semi-quick change and apparently super ridged, the face of the upper and barrel extension are precision ground flat. Barrel is .308 chambered 1/10" twist CHF machine-gun steel 16" mid-length gas (or 18" presumably rifle gas) tapered medium profile (probably nitrided but not specified). Average 5rd 100yd groups: FGMM 168gr .96"; Hornady 150gr American white tail 1.09"; and HPR 150gr TTSX 1.49". The gas-port is said to be conservatively sized to avoid over gassing. Keymod rail is said to be 15" on spec sheet but looks like 13" in the pictures with 16" barrel.

The bolt has dual ejectors, a more forward extractor pivot point for more leverage on the case rim, a stress relieving radiused groove behind the bolt lugs, and a one sided opening for the cam pin hole to reinforce against cracks. The bolt carrier cam track is revised to give .020" more dwell time, the extractor retaining pin is captured. The BCG finish is not identified.

Ambi lower controls include selector, magazine release, and bolt release, possibly bolt catch as well. Ball detent ambi charging handle. Geissele SSA trigger.

33.5" collapsed OAL, 8 pounds 8 ounces.

The Ambush version highlighted in a different Elk hunt article has a camo pattern finish (likely hydrodip) similar to the realtree pattern on current Ambush guns.

This thing sounds awesome! I hope it comes in right around $2000 but I wouldn't be surprised if it is more like $2500. I see this as a contender with the LMT MWS. The article even hinted that DD has experimented with different .308 cartridge based barrels that could be swapped using the four simple bolts.

MK762 coming 2015

teutonicpolymer
01-22-15, 11:46
I hope they end up going with a conventional barrel nut or something else that doesn't involve the entire handguard holding in the barrel

jerrysimons
01-22-15, 12:09
^That would be cool but I have to say, the prototype is one nice package! I realistically don't see myself wanting or needing to change that barrel or rail (heck I bought a MWS, I am stuck with that rail!). As much as I tinker with stuff this gun has everything I already want and if that proprietary barrel attachment is as ridged and accuracy inducing as it is reported all the better, IMO. DD is the kind of company that (like LMT with the MWS) would likely follow through on their support of offering their proprietary barrels if you did want a change and possibly even different rails. There is actually more flexibility with this DD set-up in regards to rails than the MWS has, depending of coarse on DD's willingness to offer different length rails or perhaps M-lok, who knows? I see a lot of potential here.

If I were wanting a .308 gun to build myself or to tinker with you cant beat the MEGA Maten. But if looking for a high quality, accurate .308 rifle to buy and use right out of the box or to recommend to family and friends looking for the same, this DD 308 would be it. Not that I am dissatisfied with the MWS, though I would like to see LMT go direct attach with the MWS/MRP rail chassis, M-lok or keymod, and an ambi bolt release would be nice.

steyrman13
01-22-15, 14:40
^That would be cool but I have to say, the prototype is one nice package! I realistically don't see myself wanting or needing to change that barrel or rail (heck I bought a MWS, I am stuck with that rail!). As much as I tinker with stuff this gun has everything I already want and if that proprietary barrel attachment is as ridged and accuracy inducing as it is reported all the better, IMO. DD is the kind of company that (like LMT with the MWS) would likely follow through on their support of offering their proprietary barrels if you did want a change and possibly even different rails. There is actually more flexibility with this DD set-up in regards to rails than the MWS has, depending of coarse on DD's willingness to offer different length rails or perhaps M-lok, who knows? I see a lot of potential here.

If I were wanting a .308 gun to build myself or to tinker with you cant beat the MEGA Maten. But if looking for a high quality, accurate .308 rifle to buy and use right out of the box or to recommend to family and friends looking for the same, this DD 308 would be it. Not that I am dissatisfied with the MWS, though I would like to see LMT go direct attach with the MWS/MRP rail chassis, M-lok or keymod, and an ambi bolt release would be nice.

THIS.
My only complaint about the LM8 is the direct thread rail rather than a more solid solution-M-LOK.
Only complaint about the 5.56 MRP system is the rail. If I get the CQB setup with 10.5 barrel but wanted a quick change to a SPR setup with 18", the rail is short and limiting. The DD setup could allow for a short and long rail to match the barrel, AS LONG AS they can make it repeatable RTZ like on the MWS/MRP

T2C
01-22-15, 16:59
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/27/c04dc07c4d35e8724f9e5851e5cf51b7.jpg

I bought a Bushmaster BAR-10 years ago when they were first released. It had a ball detent like the one in the picture. I had issues with the charging handle bouncing free when firing the rifle once the ball detent set up had a little wear on it. After Bushmaster repaired it the second time, I sold the rifle.

Hopefully DD has the issue worked out.

thabends
02-05-15, 12:13
Anyone have release date intel?

OIPactual
02-17-15, 08:34
They are listed on a couple distribution sites, however there is no estimated release time yet. they will more than likely retail for $2450-$2700. The prices could change because they are listed as a new item, not as a stock item and sometimes the prices change when they become stock items. I am really excited for this, and I think the rail/barrel lock up is a solid idea. I also have no problem relying on DD for parts, as they have been supplying parts for a long time and have that game figured out. I think this rifle is a definite game changer!