PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinion needed from the AR gurus

22_Shooter
06-29-08, 14:10
Currently I have a Stag that I "put together" (read: slapped a complete lower and complete upper together:D ), and am thinking about upgrading my upper to an LMT. I figure if I only have 1 AR, I want the best I can afford.

That being said, what am I losing out on, if anything, with keeping my Stag lower and mating it with an LMT upper? As opposed to selling off my whole rig, and going LMT with my lower as well.

All the negatives I've heard about Stag were in the upper and BCG, but I don't recall ever reading anything bad about the lower (besides the stag head:D ).

Just in case anyone's wondering, I haven't had any problems with Stag. But like I said, I just want my 1 AR to be the best I can afford.

Jay Cunningham
06-29-08, 14:21
I am not a guru, but I know some.

You'll be fine with your current lower. The LMT upper is probably a very wise upgrade.

Ridge_Runner_5
06-29-08, 14:29
Everything relating to accuracy and performance is in your upper...the lower is a couple springs and hinges...

30russkie
06-29-08, 14:31
the LMT is a very good piece of kit. but why "fix" your stag if it isn't broke?

if you want a LMT sure thing--- but how about a noveske , kinght, or colt? the sky is the limit with these things on how much you can spend and you have to draw a line somewhere.
:cool:

Robb Jensen
06-29-08, 14:59
I agree, no need to upgrade unless it's necessary. You said it runs fine and hasn't failed you. Do you require 1x7 twist w/M4 feed ramps?

Since your Stag hasn't failed you what's the problem? If you want a HP test bolt just buy a BCM and drop it in (use your current bolt as a spare), make sure it won't close on a USGI Field gauge and you'll be set. If you want better carrier key staking then just stake it better.

Failure2Stop
06-29-08, 15:06
Check out this thread: "Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!"
(https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376)

Cleverly hidden in the "Knowldege Base Threads (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355)" ;) .

Then again, just buying a better upper will solve the issues as well.

If it were my gun I would also buy a LMT LPK to replace the Stag LPK, but that's just me (non-guru).

uspopo
06-29-08, 15:14
I agree, no need to upgrade unless it's necessary. You said it runs fine and hasn't failed you. Do you require 1x7 twist w/M4 feed ramps?

Since your Stag hasn't failed you what's the problem? If you want a HP test bolt just buy a BCM and drop it in (use your current bolt as a spare), make sure it won't close on a USGI Field gauge and you'll be set. If you want better carrier key staking then just stake it better.

Yeah That!

30russkie
06-29-08, 15:14
rather than mix and match you might sell your stag and pick up a complete rifle of the brand your looking for. might cost a bit more that way but you end up with a matched set sort of speak. that is if your dead set on the LMT.:cool:

urbankaos04
06-29-08, 16:07

I thought BCM bolts were just MPId, not HPTd.

ETA: Yep, just MPId: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-AR15-Bolt-Assembly-MPI-p/bcm%20bolt%20assemly%20mp.htm

Robb Jensen
06-29-08, 16:16
I thought BCM bolts were just MPId, not HPTd.

ETA: Yep, just MPId: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-AR15-Bolt-Assembly-MPI-p/bcm%20bolt%20assemly%20mp.htm

I don't know? I don't see on their website where Bravo says they aren't HP tested..........

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=178411&postcount=4

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=166794&postcount=3

urbankaos04
06-29-08, 17:19
Hmm, on the BCM site they specifically state that they HPT and MPI their barrels, but only state that they MPI their bolts. Is it implied that that the bolts are HPTd as well? Since it is not specficially stated on their site that they HPT their bolts, I logically assumed that they only MPI their bolts. However, GRANT is stating that they do HPT/MPI their bolts. I think I'll call BCM and ask.

ETA: It would be weird that BCM would only MPI their bolts, as they do a kick ass job following the TDP. I'm probably wrong, and I hope I am, as I have a BCM BCG!

22_Shooter
06-29-08, 17:50
My first plan was to just go with an LMT BCG as an upgrade. But then I got to thinking, I might as well go for the whole upper. I know there's no need to "fix" what's not broken, but I'd rather pay a little extra for some peace of mind. I don't have the dough to let the AR bug infect me, so being that this will probably be my only AR (:eek: ), for now at least, I'd rather have a little higher quality than Stag.

(I'm normally an AK guy)

kingc
06-30-08, 01:18
Unless the Stag is some kinda weird stepchild, why not just upgrade the BCG and call it good.

30russkie
06-30-08, 10:35
if the old stag is running good-- maybe get the good LMT bolt&CG and spend the rest of the loot on more ammo and or mags ?

ammo is getting more expensive by the day--it may even get banned for certain calibers. mags are everywhere now--but in a year or so--who knows??

a expensive weapon with no ammo ain't much use to anybody and the m-4 don't a good club--:eek:

Veracity
06-30-08, 14:56
Unless the Stag is some kinda weird stepchild, why not just upgrade the BCG and call it good.

I agree completely.

As a fellow Noober, I wanted to make my Bushmaster as good as possible so I had Grant bring my Bushmaster BCG up to speed and although I have a Colt and an LMT, I'm keeping the BM 'cause now it's......well....uh...up to speed.

toddackerman
06-30-08, 18:27
I am not a guru, but I know some.

You'll be fine with your current lower. The LMT upper is probably a very wise upgrade.

I agree. The upper is where the "Rubber meets the road". I have a Bushmaster Lower with an LMT MRP upper that has been flawless.

That aside...I did just get an LMT SOPMOD lower with a 2 stage trigger just in case things go the wrong way in November....I'll have a back up lower.