PDA

View Full Version : Pistol racks/handgun hangers: safe for barrel?

DreadPirateMoyer
12-28-14, 22:11
I've started using some handgun hangers in my safe the last few months as they're a convenient way to save space. For those not in the know, they're long, S-shaped pieces of bent metal that clip to a shelf in your gun safe and allow you to hang your pistol, via the barrel, from one of the ends of the metal. Pistol racks that are often used in gun stores work the same way: sticking a rod down the barrel to suspend/hold the pistol for better storage. The ones I use are nylon coated.

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/61452.jpg

It occurred to me the other day that sticking a rod down the bore to hang the gun may not be healthy for the gun, but mostly due to old fudd stories about cleaning rods and damaging the crown of a rifle. I know we have a lot of gun store owners and armorers/LEOs here that may have used racks or hangers in their careers, as well as members that have used these tools as well. Do any of you know if this has caused any long-term damage on yours or anyone else's guns?

Seems it shouldn't. It's just a rubber coated rod that the pistol gently hangs from, unlike a cleaning rod which is jammed dowm a barrel with force. Either way, thought it would be worth checking!

Airhasz
12-29-14, 00:42
Automotive shrink tube might be a good solution to keep from marring up barrels.

ralph
12-29-14, 08:28
Actually, the stories about cleaning rods damaging the muzzle of a barrel are not fudd stories..There is a degree of truth to them.. I've seen quite a few M1 Garands at the CMP whose muzzle's were damaged from cleaning rods.. I'd be a little leery about hanging a pistol from the barrel..

El Cid
12-29-14, 08:54
I've been thinking about something like this: http://www.manaboutracks.com/Pages/handgunracks.aspx

Currently I just stack them in zippered gun rugs.

DreadPirateMoyer
12-29-14, 09:43
Automotive shrink tube might be a good solution to keep from marring up barrels.

The ones I have are already polymer coated. :)

Actually, the stories about cleaning rods damaging the muzzle of a barrel are not fudd stories..There is a degree of truth to them.. I've seen quite a few M1 Garands at the CMP whose muzzle's were damaged from cleaning rods.. I'd be a little leery about hanging a pistol from the barrel..

Wasn't meant to imply falsehood, just that it's fudds that always talk about it.

I've been thinking about something like this: http://www.manaboutracks.com/Pages/handgunracks.aspx

Currently I just stack them in zippered gun rugs.

Looks nice! I may consider that as well, but it takes up shelf space that the handgun hangers save me. Will be tough finding new space for it. :\

opmike
12-29-14, 10:28
Assuming you're not bubba'ing your own racks together out of hardened, uncoated steel, this isn't a problem.

DreadPirateMoyer
12-29-14, 13:50
Assuming you're not bubba'ing your own racks together out of hardened, uncoated steel, this isn't a problem.

Definitely not. Using the ones from Gun Storage Solutions. They're likely overpriced for the materials used, but I'm happy with the quality and they work well: http://www.storemoreguns.com/collections/gun-safe-accessories/products/original-handgun-hangers

I really, highly doubt they damage the bore or crown in any way. That said, I thought some people -- especially LEOs and/or military armorers that may have used similar equipment -- may know more since it's likely guns were put on and off these hangers multiple times per day. If they did cause any damage, I feel like that'd be the place to see it.

SteveL
12-29-14, 15:07
Since they're coated and have that yellow protective tip over the end I can't see where they would cause any harm.

spdldr
12-29-14, 19:22
I've been using Armory Racks www.armoryracks.com for several years. In order to eliminate any chance of bore damage I put double thick heat shrink on the rods and then slide a 1/4" rubber grommet down to the base of the rod to protect the crown. The eight gun size with the storage tray is just right for me. His service is excellent. If you do what I do, order them without the little red tips, as they are hard to remove.

DreadPirateMoyer
12-29-14, 21:50
I've been using Armory Racks www.armoryracks.com for several years. In order to eliminate any chance of bore damage I put double thick heat shrink on the rods and then slide a 1/4" rubber grommet down to the base of the rod to protect the crown. The eight gun size with the storage tray is just right for me. His service is excellent. If you do what I do, order them without the little red tips, as they are hard to remove.

Perfect! Same exact concept as the hangers I use. No damage to report?

HKGuns
12-29-14, 22:33
DPM, I have been using those exact hangers in my safes for a couple of years with no ill effects. The only difference is that I use mine for my S&W six shooters with 4" - 8" barrels. Sample size of 8 revolvers.

DreadPirateMoyer
12-30-14, 18:40
Awesome. That's exactly what I was looking for. That's a good sample size too.

Thanks. :)

tonyxcom
12-30-14, 23:02
Another Armory Racks user here. I have the 8 gun without the tray. I have about 6 3/8 inch (bottom of top shelf to top of bottom shelf). Tried to account for the carpet best I could.

It handles Glock 34 with X300U, G17/19 with RMR/X300U and a full sized 1911 with ease in that space. The hangers are easy to bend and I will admit I've used the guns to bend them. :)

Airhasz
12-31-14, 11:32
Christ, this guy wants $8.95 to ship four lousy pieces of coated wire! I'll fab up material I already own and shrink wrap. Can't see paying $28.90 / 4 simple hangers. This guy must laugh all the way to the bank. Only in America will people throw good money at products like this, proof we have too much money. :sarcastic: