PDA

View Full Version : QD sling mounts on MOE SL Handguard

jaydubber
12-28-14, 22:53
Hi everyone, for my first post here I thought I'd share some pics of a few QD sling mounts on my new Magpul MOE SL handguard. I got the MOE SL for Christmas, as an upgrade to my original MOE carbine handguard. I installed the IWC QD Micro mount on my previous handguard few years ago, and have been nothing but pleased with it's performance, even though it was a pretty tight fit on the carbine MOE. With the new MOE SL I thought I'd save some of the hassle of drilling for the IWC QD in favor of the M-LOK QD mount.

To make a long story short, once I got the M-LOK QD installed I suddenly realized how much less obtrusive the IWC QD was, primarily as a function of the IWC being flush-mount and the M-LOK being surface-mounted. So, I pulled out the drill and installed the IWC. :) The new MOE SL actually has quite a bit more room at the back than the previous MOE carbine handguard, and was enough room to mount the IWC QD without interfering with the M-LOK slot, in case I needed that slot in the future. Anyway, less talk, more pictures...

Side x side comparisons:

IWC alone:

The M-LOK QD worked just fine, it was obviously simple to install, and perhaps the fact that it protrudes an additional 6mm over the IWC never would have been an issue, but I've decided to stick with the IWC.

-JD

HeavyDuty
12-28-14, 23:09
I'm getting ready to post a tutorial on how to do these like I did woth the original MOE handguards, I just need to take better pics. I agree, there's more room in the SLs.

jaydubber
12-29-14, 10:30
Hey Ken, it was your tutorial that I used when I installed the IWC QD the first time. So thanks for that!

HeavyDuty
12-29-14, 18:16
Glad you found it useful!