PDA

View Full Version : HK VP9 firing pin/striker safety

RAM Engineer
12-29-14, 12:16
Anyone know what the rationale was behind going with a pivoting type striker safety on the VP9 vs the more common plunger type? Does this make the gun more adaptable to being milled for red-dot sights?

CoryCop25
12-29-14, 12:33
Just guesses here but:
1. Not getting sued by Glock
2. Not having to put it under the rear sight
3. Not part of the extractor system

Toecheese
12-29-14, 16:18
Glock should sue H&K anyway for making a polly firearm they could only dream of producing.....carry on

spdldr
12-29-14, 19:24
Anyone know what the rationale was behind going with a pivoting type striker safety on the VP9 vs the more common plunger type? Does this make the gun more adaptable to being milled for red-dot sights?

Perhaps it is to make the trigger pull smoother? A pivoting lever is usually less gritty than a sliding plunger.

YVK
12-30-14, 08:31
Is pivoting safety harder to get to and therefore less likely to be screwed with by homeboy gunsmiths?

mayonaise
12-31-14, 00:21
Typical HK over engineered gun. One of the many reasons HK doesn't make any inroads in the handgun market. Roughly 58 parts, roll pins, and almost zero spare parts on the market. I like my VP9 as an experiment but it won't replace the simplicity of tearing down and building up my Glocks, and parts availability.

montrala
12-31-14, 05:15
roll pins, and almost zero spare parts on the market.

I have and had several HK. All have/had roll pins (spiral type). Several times I removed and reinstalled them (including firing pin and extractor pins). Never had any problem with those. What is wrong with using properly designed and well made spiral type roll pins?

I also never* had need for spare part for modern HK pistol. That is good, because on my market there is really zero spare parts for HKs (even getting Glock parts can be a problem at times). But I know friend who did - e-mail to HKjs (civilian branch at this time) and in few days he had envelope with USP Expert sear spring (plus two extra for good measure) in his mail. AFAIK in US things are actually much easier, with way better customer care and supply of spare parts at HK USA.

Anyway, with amount of interest VP9 gets and very positive reviews (just read nice review in December issue of SWAT magazine for example) it is inevitable that it will gain more market support with companies other than HK USA stocking parts and other providing aftermarket support. Long way to catch up with Glock and M&P in raw quantity, but pure growth will be very fast. Hey, iPhone/iOS was once an underdog to smartphones with Windows Mobile, Symbian and even Palm OS... who even remember them now? ;)

Mjolnir
01-24-15, 11:30
Glock should sue H&K anyway for making a polly firearm they could only dream of producing.....carry on

LOL!

Man, you're silly.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."