PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here know Garage door openers?

kwelz
12-29-14, 15:47
I am hoping that someone here knows something about garage door openers.

Mine is about 8 years old. It still works fine when you use the hard wired switch in the garage. However it doesn't want to communicate with any remotes. Hoping someone here has some ideas.

I know that this is a long shot but I figured I would ask.

T2C
12-29-14, 16:17
1) Is the wall switch opener control in the locked position?

2) Are the safety sensor lights blinking or steady? If they are blinking, try cleaning off the sensors, so dirt and debris do not interrupt the beam. If a sensor is bad, it is relatively easy to replace.

Hmac
12-29-14, 16:21
You may need to clear all the remotes from the opener's memory and start over. Most rolling-code openers will only store about 8 remotes, and your memory may already be full and including cars or devices that you owned 8 years ago. Make sure you buy a remote appropriate to the brand and security type of your opener.

GH41
12-29-14, 17:02
I am hoping that someone here knows something about garage door openers.

Mine is about 8 years old. It still works fine when you use the hard wired switch in the garage. However it doesn't want to communicate with any remotes. Hoping someone here has some ideas.

I know that this is a long shot but I figured I would ask.

Did the remotes all quit at the same time? If so it may be due to an electrical event. There is a board in most modern openers that doesn't like power surges. If the sensors were dirty the wall button wouldn't operate the door. If the memory was full the latest remotes added would never have worked the door. Come on guys... Think about what you say before saying it.

kwelz
12-29-14, 18:03
Sorry for the delay in replying. been trying to figure this out. The problem started about a month ago and is intermittent. For instance when I got home today I could not open it using the built in button in my car. The exterior keypad (wireless) would not work either. I came in through the front door and used the inside hardwired switch to open it. I tried to reprogram the keypad however it would not even communicate with the opener as far as I could tell. Fast forward about an hour and they all worked again like normal. I just got back in and all 3 remotes are working perfectly.

An Undocumented Worker
12-29-14, 20:06
I'd hazard a guess as to cracked solder joints somewhere in there on a board. You're going to need a magnifying glass to find em. Either way you're going to have to dig into it. Or just try calling the manufacturer.

SkiDevil
12-29-14, 20:27
I have an older Stanley door opener. The remote stopped working and after trying to replace the batteries with no success, then I called an independent garage repair guy. He replaced my remote and reprogrammed the device.

If you are not mechanically/ electronically inclined I would call a professional. As already pointed-out it could be a loose or faulty wire or bad connection. However, the likelihood of a wire and the remote going bad at the same time seems more impropable.

T2C
12-29-14, 21:37
Sorry for the delay in replying. been trying to figure this out. The problem started about a month ago and is intermittent. For instance when I got home today I could not open it using the built in button in my car. The exterior keypad (wireless) would not work either. I came in through the front door and used the inside hardwired switch to open it. I tried to reprogram the keypad however it would not even communicate with the opener as far as I could tell. Fast forward about an hour and they all worked again like normal. I just got back in and all 3 remotes are working perfectly.

I had the same issue with an opener and it was caused by a bad sensor. Check for a steady light on each of the door safety sensors. If one of them is blinking or is dim, that may be the problem.

Menard's sells replacement sensors in our area and it was an easy fix.