PDA

View Full Version : aimpoint 3x or eotech g33? why?

WS6
12-29-14, 23:48
Just what the title says. Let's not consider money in the equation between the two.

Jakedasnake
12-30-14, 00:12
Aimpoint, because I have a micro and battery life always wins out compared to the eotechs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
12-30-14, 00:14
Aimpoint, because I have a micro and battery life always wins out compared to the eotechs.

He's talking magnifiers. Neither of which has a battery in it.

Jakedasnake
12-30-14, 00:20
He's talking magnifiers. Neither of which has a battery in it.

I know what he meant, which is why I stated what I stated. For me, you can't mention one magnifier, without mentioning the optic itself. By the way, I brought myself one for Christmas.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/29/627fec537ccfd5dc7bfc922ff4669ac6.jpg

Jakedasnake
12-30-14, 00:21
But if it Magnifier to Magnifier, they both are great, it's a personal taste.

nimdabew
12-30-14, 00:26
Which company do you like better?

Jakedasnake
12-30-14, 00:30
Aimpoint.

WS6
12-30-14, 00:55
The Eotech/Aimpoint magnifiers can be used for either company's optic. I am looking for more clarity/FOV/light-gathering/Eyebox/durability type comparisons vs. "I like Aimpoint's battery life so I prefer their magnifier" type qualifiers.

Jakedasnake
12-30-14, 00:58
The Eotech/Aimpoint magnifiers can be used for either company's optic. I am looking for more clarity/FOV/light-gathering/Eyebox/durability type comparisons vs. "I like Aimpoint's battery life so I prefer their magnifier" type qualifiers.

Well, I've viewed both, and you see my purchase? Cool.

WS6
12-30-14, 01:00
Well, I've viewed both, and you see my purchase? Cool.

I understand, but you didn't qualify the statement with any mention of performance regarding the magnifier.

Jakedasnake
12-30-14, 01:00
Better yet, do yourself a favor, go to a store that sells both, look through both, and make your decision. Just as I did.
I say this, because no ones eyesight is the same, so your view of clarity, may differ from mine, and everyone else's.

Jakedasnake
12-30-14, 01:03
And though both magnifiers can be utilized with both optics, the eotech will have a lower profile compared to the Aimpoint when you mix and match.

WS6
12-30-14, 01:10
Better yet, do yourself a favor, go to a store that sells both, look through both, and make your decision. Just as I did.
I say this, because no ones eyesight is the same, so your view of clarity, may differ from mine, and everyone else's.

The AP has a fixed diopter,correct?

Jakedasnake
12-30-14, 01:10
Yes

Ryno12
12-30-14, 05:56
I prefer the EOTech G33 over the Aimpoint. The G33 has tool less azimuth adjustment, adjustable diopter, slightly larger FOV, a better mount (IMO) & is made in America.
It's also hard to ignore that the G33 ($450) sells for $150+ less than the Aimpoint magnifier alone ($600), not including the mount.
The Aimpoint does have a better submersible rating. I don't take mine swimming though.

To me it's a no-brainer.

(Rumors has it that EOTech will be introducing a 5x soon labeled as the G45)

WS6
12-30-14, 06:21
I prefer the EOTech G33 over the Aimpoint. The G33 has tool less azimuth adjustment, adjustable diopter, slightly larger FOV, a better mount (IMO) & is made in America.
It's also hard to ignore that the G33 ($450) sells for $150+ less than the Aimpoint magnifier alone ($600), not including the mount.
The Aimpoint does have a better submersible rating. I don't take mine swimming though.

To me it's a no-brainer.

How forgiving is the eyebox on the AP compared to the G33?

Ryno12
12-30-14, 07:07
How forgiving is the eyebox on the AP compared to the G33?

I can't answer that, sorry. My experience with the Aimpoint is limited to store handling. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot them in a side-by-side setting.

The G33 seems natural to me to when I shoulder the gun, the eye relief is perfect. (I'm sure the Aimpoint would also, if I had one.) However, I've let less experienced people handle my guns & they look like owls with their head on a swivel. I think once you position it to your liking and maintain a consistent cheek weld, it becomes a moot point. Everyone's shooting styles & uses are unique so eye relief may matter more to others than it does to me.

NongShim
12-30-14, 20:03

To me it's a no-brainer.

No idea about the 5x, but I was going to say all that jazz about manually adjustable features and better mount. The Eotech is also smaller. Being made in USA is also a plus. Most people think I am a heretic on the Net because I like Eotech sights better too, so take this with a grain of salt.

As far as the technical stuff like light transmission and eyebox, I can't comment on because I never used them side by side, but I have used both. Remember though, this is a supplemental magnifier for a CQB optic. It isn't a scope for a sniper gun. I wouldn't stress about that stuff. Just get the one with the features you dig the most.

WS6
12-30-14, 20:51
No idea about the 5x, but I was going to say all that jazz about manually adjustable features and better mount. The Eotech is also smaller. Being made in USA is also a plus. Most people think I am a heretic on the Net because I like Eotech sights better too, so take this with a grain of salt.

As far as the technical stuff like light transmission and eyebox, I can't comment on because I never used them side by side, but I have used both. Remember though, this is a supplemental magnifier for a CQB optic. It isn't a scope for a sniper gun. I wouldn't stress about that stuff. Just get the one with the features you dig the most.

Thanks. I am really contemplating pairing the G33 with an Aimpoint T2. I've gotten good use from my T1, but the dot is...messy. It's not my eyes either, as my M4S was perfect, as is my Eotech dot. I hear tale that the T2 dot is clean unmagnified as well as magnified, and gets rid of 90% of the "blue tint". G33+T2 would be lighter than any variable optic once mounts are included.

Ryno12
12-30-14, 20:58
No idea about the 5x...

I saw a link where EOTech confirmed its existence on FB but nothing much else. They did say they were still determining the release date. I'm assuming sometime shortly after SHOT.
I am starting to see them listed on some websites as not yet available. Looks like a street price of around $600. Roughly the same specs as the G33 and both black & tan will be offered.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/eotech-5-power-magnifier-w-side-mount-switch-us-made.html

http://www.ammunitionarmory.com/eotech-g45/

NongShim
12-30-14, 21:18
Thanks. I am really contemplating pairing the G33 with an Aimpoint T2. I've gotten good use from my T1, but the dot is...messy. It's not my eyes either, as my M4S was perfect, as is my Eotech dot. I hear tale that the T2 dot is clean unmagnified as well as magnified, and gets rid of 90% of the "blue tint". G33+T2 would be lighter than any variable optic once mounts are included.

Right on man. I also found the T1 dot to look more like a comma. With a magnifier it was terrible for me. No clue on the T2.

It will be a light setup for sure. Just keep in mind that you may notice the weight hanging off the side of your upper when flipped aside. It find it somewhat annoying, though you may not even notice it. Good luck with your setup.

NongShim
12-30-14, 21:18

Right on man. I also found the T1 dot to look more like a comma. With a magnifier it was terrible for me. No clue on the T2.

It will be a light setup for sure. Just keep in mind that you may notice the weight hanging off the side of your upper when flipped aside. I found it somewhat annoying, though you may not even notice it. The G33 felt much better than the Aimpoint in that regard. Good luck with your setup.

WS6
12-30-14, 21:24

It will be a light setup for sure. Just keep in mind that you may notice the weight hanging off the side of your upper when flipped aside. I found it somewhat annoying, though you may not even notice it. The G33 felt much better than the Aimpoint in that regard. Good luck with your setup.

Thanks. Part of why I like the idea so much is that when used by my bedside for HD, I can remove the mag all togather, easily. When hunting or at the range, I can put it back in place. Can't cut 2/3 off the weight of a K16i when you will only be using 1X...

vicious_cb
01-01-15, 15:04
Considering that your POI changes magnified vs unmagnified and that you can adjust the eotech magnifier I would go for the eotech.

cbx
01-01-15, 21:12
The poi changes when magnified?

Plasman
01-02-15, 01:27
The poi changes when magnified?

The POI doesn't change, but the POA of your RDS/HDS does (as viewed through the magnifier) depending on how well aligned the magnifier and RDS/HDS are. This is why magnifiers have adjustments on them to re-center the RDS/HDS reticle. Without centering the RDS/HDS reticle in the magnifier's view the gun isn't really aiming where you think it is.

cbx
01-02-15, 19:25
Assuming you center the magnifier, or what ever it needs to be right, how far off are we talking?

Nola_Jack
01-02-15, 19:37
Looking forward to an explanation on that.

patriot_man
01-02-15, 19:38
Slightly related but Eotech is supposed to be releasing a G55 magnifier soon which is a 5x magnifier.

sol1777
01-03-15, 17:57
I just picked up a gently used G33 and wow, who knew 3X could make such a difference. I never used a magnifier behind any RDS in the past. I've used Aimpoints and Eotechs in the past, running a XPS 2-0 now. Glass is excellent, the reticle is great at 3X, and my hundred yard zero group was much smaller than using the center 1moa dot as I've done before. Yes it surely adds weight, and I did notice it at first. But I can work through it. The mount is solid, no wiggle and locks the magnifier wither to the side or behind the reticle securely. Doesn't hang too far to the side of the weapon to bother me, and doesn't effect the balance of the rifle in a negative way. I think its a great piece of gear. Look for a used piece if you can. I picked mine up for $180 bucks less than it sells for and is in excellent shape. Usually when you see an Aimpoint magnifier for resale the sellers keep the price the same as it was when its new. Better features and a better deal in my opinion.

WS6
01-08-15, 02:34
The POI doesn't change, but the POA of your RDS/HDS does (as viewed through the magnifier) depending on how well aligned the magnifier and RDS/HDS are. This is why magnifiers have adjustments on them to re-center the RDS/HDS reticle. Without centering the RDS/HDS reticle in the magnifier's view the gun isn't really aiming where you think it is.

This is not what my Eotech's manual says (I bought the G33). It says that the dot position does not matter, but is "aesthetic" only.

vicious_cb
01-08-15, 15:35

This is correct, I tend to mix up POI and POA sometimes. But yes, the way you perceive the dot magnified vs magnified will cause you to have a different POA when you switch between the two.

TF82
01-08-15, 18:37
I don't know, if I aim my Eotech on a fine point and then flip over the magnifier it stays at the same point of aim. If I move the azimuth and not the rifle it moves the entire image in the sight but the dot stays on the same fine point. If I flip the magnifier back away the dot is still in the same place.

Ledanek
01-08-15, 20:32
Can't comment on Eotech, since I've never considered them, but, if job is not going to reimburse you, consider going thru Equipment Exchange.
Whatever you decide, read this:
Getting the 3x Magnifier closer to the Aimpoint Micro T1 (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/aimpoint-3x-magnifier-with-t1-larue)

No regret getting the Aimpoint H1+3x mag

Go luck

Plasman
01-08-15, 23:36
I don't know, if I aim my Eotech on a fine point and then flip over the magnifier it stays at the same point of aim. If I move the azimuth and not the rifle it moves the entire image in the sight but the dot stays on the same fine point. If I flip the magnifier back away the dot is still in the same place.

Is your HDS level with your magnifier? If so, then you shouldn't have much/any shift. If they're not level with each other though (such as using an EOTech 55x series sight with FTS magnifier or Aimpoint micro 1/3 co-witness mount with FTS magnifier) then the dot won't be centered in the magifier's view (and won't look that way when viewing through the magnifier either), and the POA as viewed through the magnifier won't be the POI.

Whatever you decide, read this:
Getting the 3x Magnifier closer to the Aimpoint Micro T1 (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/aimpoint-3x-magnifier-with-t1-larue)

I flip the LT mount around so that the lever is on the left side of the gun to get the magnifier as close as possible.

WS6
01-08-15, 23:43
Is your HDS level with your magnifier? If so, then you shouldn't have much/any shift. If they're not level with each other though (such as using an EOTech 55x series sight with FTS magnifier or Aimpoint micro 1/3 co-witness mount with FTS magnifier) then the dot won't be centered in the magifier's view (and won't look that way when viewing through the magnifier either), and the POA as viewed through the magnifier won't be the POI.

I flip the LT mount around so that the lever is on the left side of the gun to get the magnifier as close as possible.

It doesn't matter. Centering the dot is cosmetic only. If you can see the dot. It's on target (within of course the regular parallax diffusion, you know these all have parallax even un-magnified, to an extent).

wirides
01-09-15, 07:26
Just curious where the Vortex magnifier fits in. The reviews and warranty are outstanding and the cost is sure attractive.

TF82
01-09-15, 09:03
It doesn't matter. Centering the dot is cosmetic only. If you can see the dot. It's on target (within of course the regular parallax diffusion, you know these all have parallax even un-magnified, to an extent).

That's the impression I was under.

Wake27
01-09-15, 13:34

That's the impression I was under.

That's the impression I've always been under for EOTechs without a magnifier. Don't know why adding one would make it any different.

Tbat
01-25-15, 11:38
Just curious where the Vortex magnifier fits in. The reviews and warranty are outstanding and the cost is sure attractive.

In a side by side comparison in the store, I felt that the Vortex VMX-3T magnifier had a slightly longer eye relief when compared to the Eotech G33 (the specs for both say 2.2 inches but I thought the Vortex had the greater eye relief). They had no Aimpoint version to compare, so I cannot comment on it. I also feel that the Vortex glass was just as clear and bright as the Eotech magnifier if not a little more so. It also felt like the viewing area of the Vortex was slightly bigger than the Eotech. Like the Eotech magnifer, the Vortex also allows you to adjust the magnifier so your reticle appears in the center of your view.

The Vortex is perhaps not as rugged as the Eotech but it seems quite durable and may very well be rugged enough to get the job done. I don't believe that the Vortex has the same underwater rating of either the Eotech or Aimpoint. The Vortex comes with a decent mount but I prefer the Eotech flip to side mount which does not require you to manipulate a button. You can get a decent flip to side mount for the Vortex, that doesn't require you to manipulate a button, and still come in under the price of the Eotech magnifier.

I don't use mine for work or war, but I would not be scared to rely on it if needed. I went with the Vortex for about half the price of the Eotech magnifier, as I was unsure if I would like to use the magnifer. With that said, I do think that the Vortex magnifier is a capable piece of equipment and I have had no problems with mine. I have since purchased a second Vortex magnifier to go behind another Eotech.

Boba Fett v2
01-25-15, 12:34
OP, I'd choose the EOTech for all the reasons already stated in this thread.

wirides
01-25-15, 13:13
Thanks, Tbat! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Their le/mil pricing makes this a no-brainer for me. Now if they would just make the mount a qd.

Tommycanada
01-25-15, 17:44
Ive had the vortex VMX-3T, and, for the price, its a good magnifier. Not quite up to the quality of eotech or aimpoint though. The mount takes up more rail space too.
I ended up going with the eotech G33 over the aimpoint. Just not a fan of the "twist" mount. I much rather the slap to side QD mount on the Eotech.
I never thought that having 3X magnification would make such a difference. Once you use a magnifier on a shot out to 100+meters, youll see what I mean! lol
On another note, a nice bonus factor to the slap to side mount is, when not using the magnifier, it acts as a monocular!

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/tommycanadabucket/PWSMK116MOD1_zps14eaf98d.jpg (http://s652.photobucket.com/user/tommycanadabucket/media/PWSMK116MOD1_zps14eaf98d.jpg.html)

cwgibson
01-25-15, 19:10
I am looking at this decision as well. I have always been fine with the unmagnified Eotech and Aimpoint but now I have started reloading for my rifles and need something to make more precise shots at 100 yards during my load development. I have shot rifles with both the Eotech and Aimpoint magnifiers and if I were buying one for heavy use I would pick the Eotech. I will be buying the Vortex as it suits my needs of occasional use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MikeCLeonard
01-25-15, 22:28
Will removing the spacer on the Aimpoint magnifier mount put it level with a RDS in an absolute co-witness mount?

Also, the Eotech magnifier is not removable from it's mount is it? Looks like it's integral to the flip-mount it comes with.

Tbat
01-26-15, 04:07
.... Also, the Eotech magnifier is not removable from it's mount is it? Looks like it's integral to the flip-mount it comes with.

I believe that the Eotech magnifier is removeable from it's mount as it can be flipped around so that the magnifier can be tilted to the right instead of to the left if you prefer.

Tommycanada
01-26-15, 04:20
The eotech is absolutely removable from its mount. It also comes with a spacer to accommodate for 1/3 lower co-witness.

Hmac
01-26-15, 05:54
I know what he meant, which is why I stated what I stated. For me, you can't mention one magnifier, without mentioning the optic itself. By the way, I brought myself one for Christmas.

Either magnifier works fine with either optic. I even prefer my old G23 over the Aimpoint for clarity and I like the mount and FTS better.

http://ssequine.net/BAD%20rifles.jpg

GambitVII
01-26-15, 15:12
Aimpoint since you can choose your Mount. I had issues with the Eotech magnifiers in the past locking back into magnification from the offset position when turning. The newer models appear to have solved that issue but IMHO it is better to have the option to choose your mounting solutions.

Hmac
01-26-15, 15:32
Aimpoint since you can choose your Mount. I had issues with the Eotech magnifiers in the past locking back into magnification from the offset position when turning. The newer models appear to have solved that issue but IMHO it is better to have the option to choose your mounting solutions.

Not sure what you mean "locking back into magnification from the offset position when turning". They're flip-to-side, released by tripping a locking tab and they flip out of the way on a spring-loaded arm - no turning involved. I've had my G23 for years. It's an excellent mount...nice and solid with very positive release and also locks back very positively. I just bought the "newer model" G33 "slap-to-side". Maybe it was that model that you had trouble with. I like the G33 but don't have any experience with it yet.

My limited experience with the Aimpoint "twist-off" mount was not positive. That, plus the rather HUGE difference in price ($550 vs $821) between Eotech and Aimpoint+mount made that decision a no-brainer for me.

JiminAZ
01-26-15, 22:03
For me the adjustable diopter on the EOTech trumps everything else. It takes me from a fuzzy dot to a clear dot without having to wear glasses. And that's a big deal.

GambitVII
01-27-15, 00:04
Not sure what you mean "locking back into magnification from the offset position when turning". They're flip-to-side, released by tripping a locking tab and they flip out of the way on a spring-loaded arm - no turning involved.

I had this one in particular: http://www.opticsplanet.com/gearexpert/2011/08/exclusive-new-opmod-eotech-sights-and-magnifiers-are-now-on-sale.html

If I were to break left quickly from a static position, the magnifier has a chance where it would flip back to the "Magnified" position. Then again it was that particular mount that I had an issue with.

Hmac
01-27-15, 06:35
I had this one in particular: http://www.opticsplanet.com/gearexpert/2011/08/exclusive-new-opmod-eotech-sights-and-magnifiers-are-now-on-sale.html

If I were to break left quickly from a static position, the magnifier has a chance where it would flip back to the "Magnified" position. Then again it was that particular mount that I had an issue with.

Ah. I can see how that could happen.