PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got My New HD Carbine Setup...

SteyrAUG
12-30-14, 17:36
Right now it's a "sorta" Mk18.

http://i57.tinypic.com/b6pq4y.jpg

Started with a Colt 6945, replaced the M4 stock with a SOPMOD stock. Eotech XPS2-0, Surfire 6PX Tactical w/ a Vltor Scout Mount and Troy buffer tube sling mount. Magpul VFG and rear BUIS (stock rear sight on the 6945).

Currently running a Gemtech HALO until I budget a Surefire SOCOM RC. Hopefully that will lighten the package a bit as it's a bit front heavy with the rail and HALO suppressor. Thankfully it's just an HD gun and not something I will need to pack and carry.

Got a lot of help with the accessories so far. I used to be on top of the latest guns and gear but when it came to going with "non stock" items on a Colt SBR I really did need a bit of guidance.

And if anyone see's anything that could be better, by all means speak up.

MBtech
12-30-14, 17:57
Sharp set up, maybe Magpul grip with battery storage for the light?

FlyingHunter
12-30-14, 17:59
Nice stick. Well set up. I'm guessing you have a sling w QD mounts as that could be an important component for a HD rifle?

SteyrAUG
12-30-14, 18:01
Sharp set up, maybe Magpul grip with battery storage for the light?

I've got battery storage in the rear stock and would rather distribute the weight further to the rear to help balance the front rail and suppressor. I also grew up with the standard Colt pistol grip so it's what I work best with.

SteyrAUG
12-30-14, 18:04
Nice stick. Well set up. I'm guessing you have a sling w QD mounts as that could be an important component for a HD rifle?

3 of them. Front of rail, on the buffer tube at rear of receiver and on the rear stock. Still kicking around single point vs. two point sling setup.

TacticalMark
12-30-14, 18:07
What are you using to mount the Halo? My Halo leaks a tiny bit from the slot in the mount. I time the slot with my pws fsc brake to be at 3 or 6 o clock to keep the blowback gas away from my face and or line of sight. While its minuet amount it maybe something to consider, until you get the other can. Looks like a great setup.

Wake27
12-30-14, 18:10
Its definitely shooter's preference but I can't understand how anyone can still find the A2 grip comfortable when you have the BCM grip. A Gunfighter CH helps manipulations too, but again, preference. Looks good, I'm jealous of your NFAness.

MBtech
12-30-14, 18:11
I've got battery storage in the rear stock and would rather distribute the weight further to the rear to help balance the front rail and suppressor. I also grew up with the standard Colt pistol grip so it's what I work best with.

Gotcha, I'm looking into a very similar build with a Colt.

FlyingHunter
12-30-14, 18:13
3 of them. Front of rail, on the buffer tube at rear of receiver and on the rear stock. Still kicking around single point vs. two point sling setup.

I just knew you had the sling set up right. I've tried single point - IMHO it does not offer the muzzle control a two point does. Never good to sweep something with a muzzle thats not the intended target.

I have a similar set up (double stamp rifle) and have considered a full length rail that will cover perhaps 3/4 of the suppressor but cannot construct a valid advantage to doing so...

MBtech
12-30-14, 18:13

For HD I would go single point, much easier and efficeint to transition around a wall or corner to switch to support side.

Outlander Systems
12-30-14, 18:43
Its definitely shooter's preference but I can't understand how anyone can still find the A2 grip comfortable when you have the BCM grip. A Gunfighter CH helps manipulations too, but again, preference. Looks good, I'm jealous of your NFAness.

For me, the A2 is beat out only by the OG TangoDown Battlegrip.

Nothin but A2 love right here.

Steyr, throw you one of the new aluminum Redi-Mags on there and call that Sumbitch, "good."

mack7.62
12-30-14, 19:09
Am I the only one who thinks using a NFA item for every day self defense might not be the best idea? I am thinking if ever needed for self defense you will lose your SBR and suppressor to a police evidence locker for a year or more. So is the advantage gained worth the risk of using and losing? This reasoning is why while I really don't like Glocks very much, I think they make the perfect SD tool, they do work and if lost replacement is easy and cheap.

Outlander Systems
12-30-14, 19:14
Am I the only one who thinks using a NFA item for every day self defense might not be the best idea?

...yes.

JBecker 72
12-30-14, 19:15
I dig the 6945 soooo much. Nice blaster.

MegademiC
12-30-14, 20:57
I would recommend a vcas or similar sling. It seems much faster to don than a 1pt. Also, much better control of weapon, imo. Transition is a non issue if loose enough, or depending on mounting options.

I'd also suggest a gunfighter or similar charging handle. I thought they were a waste until I tried one.

jackblack73
12-30-14, 21:26
Am I the only one who thinks using a NFA item for every day self defense might not be the best idea? I am thinking if ever needed for self defense you will lose your SBR and suppressor to a police evidence locker for a year or more. So is the advantage gained worth the risk of using and losing? This reasoning is why while I really don't like Glocks very much, I think they make the perfect SD tool, they do work and if lost replacement is easy and cheap.

In the incredibly unlikely event that I would need to use one of my guns to defend my life, I'd rather just use the best tool for the job than worry about it being locked up if I survive.

Kain
12-30-14, 21:37
The only thing that I would see changing out on the set up might be a different rear BUIS. Not a huge fan of the MBUS. Not that they don't work, just that I feel there are better options out there for general purpose. And if it were ME I would be slapping a Scout light on the bitch, but then I just picked up another Scout and may be slightly biased, not that the P6X or even G2X are bad light since I have run them, only that I prefer the weight(or lack there of) or the scout and seeing that I run a SR07 switch at 12 o'clock it fits me well. That and find yourself a good sling.

Other than that, nice rifle. And nothing wrong with an A2 grip. Have it on one of my older range rifles and it fits me well for most work.

LoveAR
12-30-14, 21:53

I agree...Glock or an 870.

masakari
12-30-14, 21:53
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMAG0355_zps36wsrknj.jpg (http://s131.photobucket.com/user/madcatjoe/media/IMAG0355_zps36wsrknj.jpg.html)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p313/madcatjoe/IMAG0353_zpskfkfylo7.jpg (http://s131.photobucket.com/user/madcatjoe/media/IMAG0353_zpskfkfylo7.jpg.html)
Your rifle is very similar to my HD/work rifle, except the barrel length and TA33. That said, I'm planning to SBR mine soon, and when approved, have the barrel chopped to 11" or so. I'll then be using a Silencerco Specwar suppressor.
I've since swapped the KAC rear sight for an LWRC, the LaRue index clips and handstop for regular ladder covers, and the K2 grip for a K2+.
I think that the Colt 694X series is a masterpiece, and too often overlooked. If they made a midlength 16" version, it would be my hands down favorite carbine available. The upcoming 6940 with FSP rail does look promising though.

Split66
12-30-14, 22:22
Adjustable 2 point slings like the VCAS work fine, you can quickly let out some slack and wear it like a necklace if you need to fight.

I have a similar set up for the house. I like your Colt, it's real slick.

I don't bother with my can inside, it negates alot of the advantage of a 10.3" gun in terms of handling. I keep electronic ear pro with the gun.

My only critique is to reconsider the Socom mini purchase unless you really have your heart set on it. That's alot of coin for a somewhat dubious ( IMHO of course) investment.

My set up

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8681/15956593418_445ea549f0_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qj2HiC)WP_20141220_013 (https://flic.kr/p/qj2HiC) by splittiebus66 (https://www.flickr.com/people/96653819@N04/), on Flickr

nitmr26
12-30-14, 23:16
My HD carbine is similar. It's a Colt 6944 with an Aimpoint PRO, a Surefire X-300 in a LaRue mount, and a simple 2-point sling. The X-300 is mounted on the right side as well.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q766/nitmr26/P1000757a_zps8d72dcd6.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/nitmr26/media/P1000757a_zps8d72dcd6.jpg.html)

Toecheese
12-30-14, 23:18
My HD carbine is similar. It's a Colt 6944 with an Aimpoint PRO, a Surefire X-300 in a LaRue mount, and a simple 2-point sling. The X-300 is mounted on the right side as well.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q766/nitmr26/P1000757a_zps8d72dcd6.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/nitmr26/media/P1000757a_zps8d72dcd6.jpg.html)

not too shabby!

SteyrAUG
12-30-14, 23:56
What are you using to mount the Halo? My Halo leaks a tiny bit from the slot in the mount. I time the slot with my pws fsc brake to be at 3 or 6 o clock to keep the blowback gas away from my face and or line of sight. While its minuet amount it maybe something to consider, until you get the other can. Looks like a great setup.

Mounted directly to the factory flash hider. Never had a problem with it in the years I've had it. As you can see it's an early model HALO.

SteyrAUG
12-30-14, 23:58

One advantage of shooting everything from FALs, G3s, AKs and the like is a basic A2 can be quite comfortable.

SteyrAUG
12-31-14, 00:07
I just knew you had the sling set up right. I've tried single point - IMHO it does not offer the muzzle control a two point does. Never good to sweep something with a muzzle thats not the intended target.

I have a similar set up (double stamp rifle) and have considered a full length rail that will cover perhaps 3/4 of the suppressor but cannot construct a valid advantage to doing so...

Yeah, I'm with you. I already have unused rail space and I don't need more weight from a longer rail that makes by suppressor attachment point harder to access.

For me, the A2 is beat out only by the OG TangoDown Battlegrip.

Nothin but A2 love right here.

Steyr, throw you one of the new aluminum Redi-Mags on there and call that Sumbitch, "good."

Yeah, this "lightweight" carbine is already heavy enough. I don't want to hang a second magazine on it. I have a few magazine carrier options at my disposal depending upon available response time and severity of problem.

SteyrAUG
12-31-14, 00:08

Well I'm coming to this from a suppressed MP5A2 as my primary HD weapon so in reality I'm saving thousands of dollars.

SteyrAUG
12-31-14, 00:19
Adjustable 2 point slings like the VCAS work fine, you can quickly let out some slack and wear it like a necklace if you need to fight.

I have a similar set up for the house. I like your Colt, it's real slick.

I don't bother with my can inside, it negates alot of the advantage of a 10.3" gun in terms of handling. I keep electronic ear pro with the gun.

My only critique is to reconsider the Socom mini purchase unless you really have your heart set on it. That's alot of coin for a somewhat dubious ( IMHO of course) investment.

My set up

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8681/15956593418_445ea549f0_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qj2HiC)WP_20141220_013 (https://flic.kr/p/qj2HiC) by splittiebus66 (https://www.flickr.com/people/96653819@N04/), on Flickr

I'm used to working with 6520s, 6920s so the 6945 w/ a suppressor really isn't changing my handling expectations indoors. My other previous HD guns were an MP5A2 w/ a Raptor II suppressor and once upon a time a G3. Also looking at the SF SOCOM RC, not the SOCOM Mini.

My G3 stopped being my hunting gun when I got a lot of indoor shooting experience with it as part of a training program. Loud. Great deterrence factor, but loud. Thankfully short bursts seem to cancel out noise pulses to some extent so it wasn't as bad as running it on semi. Also heavy as a boat...but it made me feel safe and cool when I investigated bumpy things in the night. That was a long time ago.

SteyrAUG
12-31-14, 00:21
Thanks for the input guys.

I have about a half dozen Vickers 2 points in the back room, probably what I'll go with.

Ed L.
12-31-14, 01:03
I like it. And count me with those who don't like the A2 grip. But, hey, that is what it came with.

Wake27
12-31-14, 02:43
Well I'm coming to this from a suppressed MP5A2 as my primary HD weapon

That's badass.

Iraqgunz
12-31-14, 05:29
Yes, and it has been hashed out before in probably a hundred threads, so let's not do it here.

Iraqgunz
12-31-14, 05:30
All of my AR's have them and they are probably the best sling for the money.

Thanks for the input guys.

I have about a half dozen Vickers 2 points in the back room, probably what I'll go with.

Iraqgunz
12-31-14, 05:33
You can't go wrong with those Surefire cans. We use one for a lot of our demo stuff and I am more than happy.

I'm used to working with 6520s, 6920s so the 6945 w/ a suppressor really isn't changing my handling expectations indoors. My other previous HD guns were an MP5A2 w/ a Raptor II suppressor and once upon a time a G3. Also looking at the SF SOCOM RC, not the SOCOM Mini.

My G3 stopped being my hunting gun when I got a lot of indoor shooting experience with it as part of a training program. Loud. Great deterrence factor, but loud. Thankfully short bursts seem to cancel out noise pulses to some extent so it wasn't as bad as running it on semi. Also heavy as a boat...but it made me feel safe and cool when I investigated bumpy things in the night. That was a long time ago.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-31-14, 08:32
Looks great to me. I actually prefer the A1 grip I am so old school.

docsherm
12-31-14, 09:39
I like it. The VCAS is the way to go for a sling. Not a fan of the A2 grip but that is purely personal preference. How many luman is your light? If it is the 320 you may want more but that is up to you and the area you will use it in. What ammo do you plan to use?

I like RediMags, but on my HDW I have a PMag 40 to cut down on weight.

ramairthree
12-31-14, 10:36
It is a solid set up. Put on one of your slings and good to go.

A suppressor vs. no ear pro vs. finding ear pro is a solid choice.

A VCAS/VTAC type sling is most versatile.

A redi-mag is THE fastest first mag change. But handling and your next mag changes in the dark is a little off.

markm
12-31-14, 10:46
I agree...Glock or an 870.

Two piss poor alternatives to a carbine for HD/CQB.

What the hell is the point of doing an SBR if not for the monumental advantages in gunfighting over a pistol, bird gun, or even a 16" barreled carbine???

sevenhelmet
12-31-14, 11:35
Nice set up! I'm a big fan of suppressed HD, and would have one myself if I weren't moving back to California :(

Eurodriver
12-31-14, 11:56
Well I'm coming to this from a suppressed MP5A2 as my primary HD weapon so in reality I'm saving thousands of dollars.

Well, you're only 20 years late to the AR15 switch... :cool:

Pilot1
12-31-14, 12:56
That is a really slick set up.

SteyrAUG
12-31-14, 13:32

Actually I think the MP5 still makes an excellent HD weapon. Better suppression with a lighter package. And so long as you are running some kind of decent JHP ammo you are good to go.

Pretty much the issue was it took me this long to get cozy with various SBR and related gas port issues associated with short AR variants. I also wanted a mono rail. So until the 6945 came along I really didn't have want I needed.

I ran a 6520 from time to time, but generally I felt better with the MP5.

alphavictortango
01-01-15, 21:22
Very nice setup. How does the trigger feel? A Geissele SSA might be just the thing to finish off a great gun like that.

m4fun
01-01-15, 21:36
Looks good - my only comment is to raise the Eotech with a Larue riser. Little easier to get your head around IMHO.

SteyrAUG
01-02-15, 02:54
Very nice setup. How does the trigger feel? A Geissele SSA might be just the thing to finish off a great gun like that.

Stock trigger feels great.

SteyrAUG
01-02-15, 02:56
Looks good - my only comment is to raise the Eotech with a Larue riser. Little easier to get your head around IMHO.

It's the height I'm used to having grown up with A1 and A2 carry handle ARs, additionally I wouldn't want to give up my co witness.

Turnkey11
01-02-15, 09:04

My agency still uses MP5 for its teams...

Paradis1142
01-08-15, 17:33
Nice stick