PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Socom - Mini or RC?

MegademiC
12-31-14, 08:19
Background: I live by "buy once, cry once" so I decided on a surefire. I have the 3 prong mount pinned on my 14.5" upper, so I'm already committed. The gun is used for everything. For HD, I'm most likely not going to be walking around indoors, and I have an open layout, so length should not be a big problem. I will also be using it for hunting coyote, maybe hogs in another state at some point.

Questions:
On a 14.5" gun, how much louder will the mini be?
Is the weight difference significant being on the end of the gun?

I don't need this thing to be a 300blk(might get one down the road), just want to not blow my eardrums out shooting a few shots indoors w/o ear pro, and for hunting purposes-don't want to spook game /in 5 miles.

I was pretty much set on a mini, but now that I'm starting to save for it, I just want to make sure it will best fit my needs, thanks!

Lawnchair 04
12-31-14, 09:49
I know it's not a direct relation but I run a 762 socom mini which is the same size as the full size 556 socom. I have no issues maneuvering around my house with it on my 14.5, and it is bearable without ears out in the open. Again I don't have any experience with the mini but weight does not bother me either. I can comfortably shoot my 16 inch bcm with no ears outdoors as well. It normally pulls bedroom guard duty on my 11.5 sbr, I don't believe it's hearing safe at that length but I can't see it blowing eardrums either in the event it's used. Hope this helps, I was in the buy once cry once party as well so I went the same route but bumped up to the 762 in case I go 300 black or build a 308 bolt gun in the future.

Pappabear
12-31-14, 10:01
If your only going to use on the 14.5, I would buy the mini. I do like the idea of the SOCOM mini though. But a full sized 7.62 can like my AAC 7.62SDN is too heavy.

nimdabew
12-31-14, 11:07
It is kinda apples to oranges, but I have a SPR/M4. I wish I had a mini or a different can instead for weight purposes. It is still an awesome suppressor, and quiet comparably, but it is heavy.

Jwknutson17
12-31-14, 11:36
I choose to use Mini cans on anything longer then 12.5 inch barrels. I do notice a difference on longer barrels when using my Socom RC vs my Socom Mini. Not much, but the farther you get it out there, it feels.. I run my mini on my 14.5 ELW barreled rifle and think its a great combo.

To stir up your decision a little... If I could only have one.. It would be the RC. Especially if you don't have another full size can. A lot of folks that get mini's to start can be disappointed. The RC is noticeably quieter to my ears at least.

kaltesherz
12-31-14, 16:50
I have a Mini4 that works great on my 14.5, but leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to muzzle flash on my 11.5- it gives a pretty massive fireball 25-40% of the time, which is a no go on a defensive weapon for me. So I have a SOCOM RC in NFA jail to solve that. So if I were you it would depend if you ever thought you'd get an SBR... if the answer is no, then go Mini, otherwise the full size RC.

Aries144
12-31-14, 17:15
ghjkl

t15
12-31-14, 18:07
if you cant commit to the 556 cal RC, then id suggest the the 762 RC over the mini, only because the mini is not warrantied on .308 supers on shorter than 16" barrels. from my research, the 762 RC performs as well on 556 as the 556 rc does because the 762 can is longer.

if your primary purpose is 556 and 300blk sbrs then get the mini, but if you want that short barrel lmt mws or 300 win mag bolt performance, gotta be the RC!! ive got 1 of each (556 and 762 RC) :confused:

also consider you can use a .45 or 9mm can on 300blk SUBSONIC

tom12.7
12-31-14, 18:21
The Surefire 762 SOCOM and Mini seem louder on 300 Blackout guns compared to others.

scooter22
12-31-14, 23:06
FWIW, I have the 556 RC on a BCM 11.5. It's doable outdoors without ear pro, but definitely not preferable. There is no fireball at night, but still a little bit of flash. Also, no 'gas to the face' with the BCM gunfighter CH.

MegademiC
01-01-15, 09:34
Wait, so I could use a 9 or 40 silencer on a 300blk? Why not the supers? I may do that down the road, and get the mini based on comments. Thanks guys. More experience/comments welcome.

menizzi
01-01-15, 11:33
My 2 cents.

First,

*All surefire cans or louder the any one else can full or mini
(silencer shop removed a sure fire can from testing because it was that loud)

* This looks like a honest review you should read it
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/surefire-socom762-rc-socom68/

2nd review the 3 star

*If a full can from anyone is "to heavy" and this goes for everyone then you need to start doing 30 push ups a day

* You also talk about Buying once for your life but then you go on about adding 9mm and .45mm cans for .300BLK so you are buying more cans and adapters.

*You can shoot Subs .300Blk in a Ti rant 9mm because the Pressure is so low.

If I were you I would just get a saker 7.62 and if you need to remove even more flash switch out the end cap. You get a can that will last your whole life and is going to be very quit when shooting .300Blk Any thing goes wrong they can un weld the can and give you 100% new internals. And your not buying 9mm cans because the sure fire does not do so well on .300 blk.

(note I do not own a surefire can I am only going off the review I posted (owner of the can) and what I have heard from Sliencershop)

I own
Gemtech Quicksand titanium
Saker 7.62 (pending)
Ti rant 9 (pending)

Another note. I called Gemtech and asked hm his take on with me shooting 5.56 via my SBR. I told him I heard alot of things about not to do it. He laughed. Told me the can is rated for 50,000 rounds Shoot 5.56 as much as i want but when it starts to change colors to stop.

Just giving you other Ideas and Good luck.

kaltesherz
01-01-15, 12:20
*If a full can from anyone is "to heavy" and this goes for everyone then you need to start doing 30 push ups a day

If you are only shooting a can at the range / bench, this might be true. Otherwise it's complete bullshit.

Having weight at the very end of your weapon, where it effects things the most, is not something fixed by doing a few push ups. I ran an all day (yes, just 1 day) with an AAC SPR/M4 and by the end found it difficult to hold it steady for precise shots and found my groups had opened up considerably. I had spent the day fighting the added weight, and while it didn't seem too bad at first it gradually became very apparent. It was after this that I looked into (and bought) a Mini can.

So yes, weight of can does matter. And I can do a lot more than 30 push-ups...

domestique
01-01-15, 14:24
The Surefire 762 SOCOM and Mini seem louder on 300 Blackout guns compared to others.

HUGE +1.

Surefire designs their cans around military ammo (usually at higher pressures then off the shelf PM etc.)

I have a SOCOM762-RC that sounded hilariously loud (I wasn't laughing) next to an AAC Cyclone on identical 300 blackout handi rifles. Once we shot full power 7.62x51 on identical LMT LM8MWS rifles they sounded the same, but mine had less POI shift.

Moral of story: buy surefire for your war guns, run something else to impress the friends on the backyard.

*I have both a Saker 762 and TBAC CB9 pending for my 300 blackout needs.

For 5.56 I bought a Socom 556-RC (Garin at surefire said the bore difference between the 5.56-rc and the 762-mini would make a huge difference in perceived sound).

domestique
01-01-15, 14:27
Wait, so I could use a 9 or 40 silencer on a 300blk? Why not the supers? I may do that down the road, and get the mini based on comments. Thanks guys. More experience/comments welcome.

Almost all pistol cans cannot handle 300 blackout in supers. An octane 45 is going to be dissapointing in 300 blackout subs due to large bore size in comparison to 9mm.

I would go with a liberty mystic x if you want to run a pistol can for 300 blackout supers.

MegademiC
01-01-15, 16:21
Ok. I'm not looking for a pistol silencer, just thought if I could get 2 for 1, but it ain't gonna happen.

Lookin like the mini's what will better fit my style.

Amur
01-03-15, 22:15
only because the mini is not warrantied on .308 supers on shorter than 16" barrels.

Can someone please confirm this is true? Putting a 762 mini SOCOM on a 14.5" will void the warranty?

WS6
01-05-15, 02:44
Background: I live by "buy once, cry once" so I decided on a surefire. I have the 3 prong mount pinned on my 14.5" upper, so I'm already committed. The gun is used for everything. For HD, I'm most likely not going to be walking around indoors, and I have an open layout, so length should not be a big problem. I will also be using it for hunting coyote, maybe hogs in another state at some point.

Questions:
On a 14.5" gun, how much louder will the mini be?
Is the weight difference significant being on the end of the gun?

I don't need this thing to be a 300blk(might get one down the road), just want to not blow my eardrums out shooting a few shots indoors w/o ear pro, and for hunting purposes-don't want to spook game /in 5 miles.

I was pretty much set on a mini, but now that I'm starting to save for it, I just want to make sure it will best fit my needs, thanks!

I have several 212 full size which Garin says meter similar to the socom rc, and a socom mini. The mini balances world's better on my 16". Way better than paper data suggests. At the shooter they sound similar to me, but with the mini you can tell more sound is projected downrange.

Overall I much prefer the mini. Hands down. I'd trade my 2 legacy full size cans for 2 legacy mini cans and day.

WS6
01-05-15, 02:51
Can someone please confirm this is true? Putting a 762 mini SOCOM on a 14.5" will void the warranty?

This is not correct. The suppressor is meant to suppress properly on longer barrels. It will endure and hold up and last just as long/well as the full size can. Surefire will not void warranty because you used it on a 14.5" barrel.

Amur
01-05-15, 08:49
This is not correct. The suppressor is meant to suppress properly on longer barrels. It will endure and hold up and last just as long/well as the full size can. Surefire will not void warranty because you used it on a 14.5" barrel.

Thank you very much

t15
01-05-15, 13:48
Thank you very much

So I called surefire today, sounds like barrel length isn't a big deal and they will warrant 762 mini on 300 win mag and 308 sbrs. He also said the mini was designed for 300 blackout?? Anyways, he would not give me any straight answer on strict barrel lengths. Best I got was if less than 10.5 the 556 socom sb is recommended.

Sorry for the bad Intel, must have read that on TOS..

WS6
01-05-15, 14:20
So I called surefire today, sounds like barrel length isn't a big deal and they will warrant 762 mini on 300 win mag and 308 sbrs. He also said the mini was designed for 300 blackout?? Anyways, he would not give me any straight answer on strict barrel lengths. Best I got was if less than 10.5 the 556 socom sb is recommended.

Sorry for the bad Intel, must have read that on TOS..

No problem. The 762 Surefire cans perform most impressively with supersonic ammunition, in my experience. I have shot my fullsize on my 300BLK, and VorTX supersonic sounded a bit quieter than 5.56 supersonic, suppressed through my 556-212. Maybe. Similar to say the least.

The 762 SOCOM cans are hella stout. Think of the 762 MINI as a less effective at signature attenuation 762 RC, at the gain of being lighter. It is not weaker. It is not less durable. It is just lighter, and less effective at attenuating signature as the trade-off.

Amur
01-05-15, 14:24
Just glad we sorted it out. Thanks for the info. I am considering getting a 14.5 predatOBR 7.62 and pairing with a SF SOCOM Mini 7.62. I know it will not be super quite but should be a very handy hunting rifle that at least won't blow my ear drums out with a single shot. (not hearing safe, just not teeth rattling) probably going to see what comes out at shot first

WS6
01-05-15, 14:33
Just glad we sorted it out. Thanks for the info. I am considering getting a 14.5 predatOBR 7.62 and pairing with a SF SOCOM Mini 7.62. I know it will not be super quite but should be a very handy hunting rifle that at least won't blow my ear drums out with a single shot. (not hearing safe, just not teeth rattling) probably going to see what comes out at shot first

I do not have any inside information from anyone at SHOT, but I would be surprised if any new suppressors that were "revolutionary" came out from any established names except maybe "AAC", considering that people are just now getting the stuff announced last year or two, in any numbers. Could be wrong though, and why not wait? It's only a couple of weeks.

Amur
01-05-15, 14:36
I do not have any inside information from anyone at SHOT, but I would be surprised if any new suppressors that were "revolutionary" came out from any established names except maybe "AAC", considering that people are just now getting the stuff announced last year or two, in any numbers. Could be wrong though, and why not wait? It's only a couple of weeks.

Yeah, I was more thinking about the rifle side of the equation: DD new 762, see if knight really drops the SR-25 DSR 14.5 with threaded can and if it cost 1k more than the compatible larue surfire combo or 3k more (probably the later).