PDA

View Full Version : Can an HK VP9 handle this ammo?

veteran-USMC
12-31-14, 08:47
Aprox. 4 months ago I purchased a HK VP9 and I am very happy with this handgun. I called an HK Rep to see if I could use Winchester Ranger 127+p+ and the Rep really didn't say if I could use this ammo. This ammo will only be used for home defense. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I can use this ammo in this handgun?

regular_guy
12-31-14, 08:53
IME, +P+ from the major manufacturers has never presented any issues in my pistols. Will it be harder on the gun? Yes, but nothing to be overly concerned about.

HKGuns
12-31-14, 09:00
Given the nature of +P+ ammo, you're unlikely to have any MFG tell you it is "OK" to shoot it. Why +P+ and not just +P? There is no real reason to shoot +P+ today, the fireball and report of that loading are going to be way more than you need inside your assigned living quarters.

My advice, shoot a good quality +P and you'll be more than adequately armed.

ETA: It will probably handle it just fine, but I would certainly not give it a steady diet of +P+ and "I" would test it out in a controlled environment first.

veteran-USMC
12-31-14, 11:01
Already fired a box of this ammo at our local range. Now I'll keep it in my HK for HD

Happy New Year

veteran-USMC
12-31-14, 11:04
Thank-you for your reply! This gun will not get many rounds of this ammo fired thru her-but just enough (1-2 boxes) to make sure it handles this ammo okay!

Fouled
12-31-14, 11:21
Aprox. 4 months ago I purchased a HK VP9 and I am very happy with this handgun. I called an HK Rep to see if I could use Winchester Ranger 127+p+ and the Rep really didn't say if I could use this ammo. This ammo will only be used for home defense. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I can use this ammo in this handgun?

Thats about a 400 foot pound load. I have used them in my M&P and G19 but never in my vp9. I would think nothing of using them in a vp9. I shoot a lot of Winchester NATO which is similar pressure. Ranger +P+ is nothing like Buffalo Bore or Underwood +p+ which I notice are much more concussive. You are pushing the ballistic envelope more by shooting 40S&W in a Glock 23 than by shooting ranger +p+ 9mm in a Glock 19.

FYI I have seen more than one test where Ranger +p+ failed to expand because of the hollow point clogging on clothing. Think gold dot or HST for serious use.

Fouled
12-31-14, 11:32
Given the nature of +P+ ammo, you're unlikely to have any MFG tell you it is "OK" to shoot it. Why +P+ and not just +P? There is no real reason to shoot +P+ today, the fireball and report of that loading are going to be way more than you need inside your assigned living quarters.

My advice, shoot a good quality +P and you'll be more than adequately armed.

ETA: It will probably handle it just fine, but I would certainly not give it a steady diet of +P+ and "I" would test it out in a controlled environment first.

Great advice - especially in reference to 450+ foot pound +p+ loads.

Davemac
12-31-14, 21:13
Tryed some critical duty 135+p function great and I like it.

trob_205
01-01-15, 08:43
My every day carry is Win Ranger 127+p+ in my VP9. I shot a few mags to check function and good to go

dwhitehorne
01-01-15, 09:29
I ran a case of Winchester Q4362 (124+p FMJ) through my pistol last month with everyone wanting to try it out at work. It's fairly hot training ammo we use in our sub guns. I believe it is pretty close to the 127 +P+ muzzle velocity at 1250fps. I didn't think twice about running it through my VP9. David

gunnut284
01-01-15, 10:10
That load should be fine in most quality handguns. Most manufacturers won't "approve" any +P+ because there isn't a +P+ spec. Ive shot that load in many different guns without issue, including my VP9.