PDA

View Full Version : Great Story - An Interesting Experience at the Shooting Range…

ForTehNguyen
12-31-14, 08:54
Posted on Law Enforcement Against Gun Control Facebook

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-interesting-experience-at-the-shooting-range

An Interesting Experience at the Shooting Range…

Written by Greg Ellifritz

I posted this little anecdote to my facebook page on Saturday night when I got home from the shooting range, not knowing that it would touch so many people. Numerous friends asked me to post it up on my site so that it can live in perpetuity and be shared with people who aren’t into social media. Here it is. Enjoy.

Interesting experience at the shooting range this afternoon….

The range is packed. Everyone got new guns for X-mas and wants to shoot them. There was about an hour wait for a stall. I sit down and start reading as I wait my turn. In a few minutes, a young girl sits down to wait in the chair next to mine. She’s by herself and appears to be in her early 20s. She’s the only black person in the room and one of the only women. She seems nervous as she fiddles with the gun case in her lap. She’s obviously uncomfortable.

Uncomfortable people with guns in their hands shooting in the stall next to me isn’t what I like to see. I decide to talk to her. Keep in mind that no one at this range knows me or knows what I do for a living. That’s why I like shooting there; I have complete anonymity and can focus on my own training rather than teaching others. I rarely talk to anyone, but something told me that I needed to talk to this girl.

“It’s a long wait, huh?” “What kind of gun did you bring to shoot?”

She smiles and seems visibly relieved that someone was being nice to her. She says “It’s just a 9mm. Nothing special, but it’s the only thing I could afford.”

We keep talking. I find out she’s a single mom with two kids. Her house has been broken into three times in the last two months. The last burglary attempt occurred while she was in the house with her kids. She has never shot a gun, but she recognized that she had a duty to protect her family. She went to a gun show and bought a Jimenez Arms JA-9. She asked all her male friends and family members to go to the range with her, but all of them turned her down.

She tells me that she has a bad feeling that the robbers are coming back tonight to get the x-mas presents she bought for her kids. She doesn’t know anything about guns and doesn’t know anyone who can teach her. She’s signed up for a CCW class, but no one teaches classes on the week of Christmas and she can’t find an opening until January. The problem is that she thinks the robbers are coming TONIGHT. A January class isn’t going to help.

She told me that even though she didn’t know what she was going to do, she knew she better figure out how to shoot the gun before she has to shoot the robbers tonight. That’s why she was there by herself at the shooting range. It didn’t matter that she was by herself, that she was the only woman in the room, or that she knew nothing about guns. She had babies to protect and was going to figure out how to do it, come hell or high water.

It got me thinking about the courage and commitment that this woman was displaying. How many people would intentionally place themselves into a situation where they know they will be the outsider and probably look stupid and inept to all the other “experts” at the range? Not many. The woman had guts.

“I think I can help you. Let’s share a stall. I’ll show you how to shoot your gun.”

Helping her seemed like the right thing to do. No problem there. The problem was that the range was closing in an hour and she could only afford one box of bullets. How’s that for a dilemma for you instructors out there? You have less than an hour and one box of bullets to take a woman who has never held a gun before and prepare her for a gunfight that she thinks will happen TONIGHT. Game on. Challenge accepted.

Gun function, loading, stance and grip and sight alignment in 15 minutes. On to live fire. Slow fire two handed at first until she got used to the gun, then some faster shots, a few shots right hand only/left hand only so that she had the confidence she could do it if she had to. Finished up with a few reps of malfunction drills. I’m pleased to say that she kept all of her shots in the chest area of a silhouette target at 10-15 feet. The gun puked a couple times, but it gave her a chance to practice her tap/rack. She sucked up the information I provided like a sponge. She was a better student than any of the thousands of cops I’ve taught.

The range closed. I wished her luck She packed up her new gun and left. I told her that I was a cop, but not that I teach people to shoot for a living. For all she knows, I’m just some friendly dude at the range. I like it that way.

The whole experience gives me pause. How many times have you been at the range and looked down your nose at somebody shooting a HiPoint or Jennings? How many times have you silently thought “idiot” when someone fumbles with their gun? How many times have you looked askance at shooters using the “wrong” grip? I know I do all of those things almost every time I’m at a public shooting range…but I won’t do it anymore. What if those “idiots” are really just people like this woman…inexperienced, poor, and without anyone to teach them how to do things right? By the luck of the draw, this woman pulled up a chair next to a professional firearms instructor at the range. She could have just as easily sat next to “Bubba” who will tell her that her gun is a piece of shit and that there’s no way she could ever learn to defend herself in an hour.

We shooters need to do better. It doesn’t matter if someone has a shitty blaster or if they don’t know how to hold it correctly. They might be in a situation like this woman was in. We need to help these people the best that we can. Who knows what an impact we will have? Save a life or sneer at an “idiot.” It’s your choice.

markm
12-31-14, 09:10
Pretty good story. Most of the goobers I roll my eyes are genuine fukktards however. Granted... not a lot of them live and breath it like most of us, so yeah... I get that they don't know what good gear and technique is, like I don't know which camera to buy for example.

docsherm
12-31-14, 09:30
Good story and I would like to thank you for your efforts. You are correct in that most people would have just looked the other way and made fun of her. Nice job!

I very rarely go to publuc ranges but when I do I like to talk to the people and determine the tards from those that just don't know.

Averageman
12-31-14, 09:37
Great, thanks for giving her your time and also for posting this.

HKGuns
12-31-14, 09:51
Good story, everyone here started life as a newbie at everything. A little humility and kindness goes a long way.

SkiDevil
12-31-14, 10:30
That was an awesome story. Thank you for sharing. God willing that lady and her children are safe.

I have myself on a couple of occasions helped a new shooter. Ironically they were all women and very adept students as well. Once seeing that they obviously needed a little help, then a simple hello coupled with a friendly face, invited assistance and instruction on how to better use their handgun. It felt great helping those ladies out.

It has been my experience (I worked as instructor once), most ladies shooting at the public pistol ranges are there to learn to shoot a pistol for self-defense.

Not exactly the same, but there was a similar story in SWAT about a relative showing up to the range with a piece of crap pistol. It turned out that the retired senior could not afford a better gun because of a fixed income. The writer gave his relative a better handgun after realizing the circumstances. Moral of the story was don't judge someone by their gear until you know them and leave your ego at home.

Bubba FAL
12-31-14, 10:44
She's lucky she got a Jiménez that actually worked.

Years ago, while taking a CCW class in Tennessee, an elderly woman brought out a Jennings Jam-o-matic for range qualification. It was rare for it to string together more than one or two rounds before it jammed, requiring constant attention from the instructor. When she finally got through the required # of rounds, he took the opportunity for a teaching moment. He advised her that a gun like that could get her killed - she needed a reliable gun. He told her what she should look for that wouldn't cost much more than that Jennings & advised her to get rid of the Jennings as soon as she had the money for something better. This was done without making her feel like an idiot.

Alex V
12-31-14, 10:55
Excellent post!

I am no instruction by any means, but thanks to a bunch of training classes I at least look like I know what to do. I have been asked to help a couple of times at the range, but unless asked to do so, I try not to interject unless I see something unsafe. Maybe its the unfriendly know-it-all people in the North East but most will just tell me to F-Off if I offer help regardless of their lack of knowledge.

Its nice to see a person willing to help without being asked, and one willing to accept the help.

one
12-31-14, 11:13
Good job. Excellent job. Your post makes me want to stay on this site a little longer.

SeriousStudent
12-31-14, 20:26
Greg Ellifritz is a solid dude. I have had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with him, and I'm unsurprised he did this.

He's definitely one of the good guys. We have members who have posted AAR's from his classes, too.

SteyrAUG
12-31-14, 23:51
Nice job Greg.

I've helped people out before (usually with small stuff but stuff they were clearly frustrated with), but several "are you shitting me" incidents have kept me away from most public ranges in the last few years and the ones I shoot at now are typically populated by people with enough experience they really don't need help with anything.

I wish there was a program where I could volunteer my time to help people such as those in the OP, but obviously it would be hard to screen the deadbeats from those who truly deserve assistance and the liability issues would make it impossible.

Moose-Knuckle
01-01-15, 05:30
Great story, hope the single mom came out unscathed from any would be home invaders. Stories like hers make me want to create a charity helping single moms, seniors, or anyone else in their shoes acquire certified LEO trade-in GLOCK 19/17s. I have a friend (who is a member of this site) who only had a Ruger P40. He had just moved from Kalifornia and at the time he didn't have the disposable income to pick up a better handgun, he wanted something for CCW and home defense as he had two small children. I took him down to GT's and loaned him the cash to pick up a LEO trade in G19 for $300. He was very appreciative. I just can't sit by and let friends/family trust their lives to a POS when GLOCKs can be had for a song . . .

Bulletdog
01-01-15, 10:50
This is truly a heart warming story. I appreciate the intentions and sentiment here. Its a good lesson.

But... I am puzzled. Why on Earth didn't this experienced law enforcement firearms instructor give this woman $50 and tell her to take her children and their new gifts to a hotel for the night, instead of encouraging her to go home to a probable gunfight that she is clearly not prepared for in any way?

One of the greatest gifts that I have learned from all of my firearms instruction is the gift of avoidance. Along with competent firearms handling and use, I have been taught how to avoid any sort of confrontation whenever possible. Even with my level of training, regular practice, quality function tested equipment, and fighting mindset, if I suspected a home robbery from multiple assailants was imminent, I would get my family out of harms way first and foremost. And promptly.

Abraham
01-01-15, 11:40
Greg,

Your story brought tears to my eyes.

You did an outstanding job!

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-01-15, 12:33
This is truly a heart warming story. I appreciate the intentions and sentiment here. Its a good lesson.

But... I am puzzled. Why on Earth didn't this experienced law enforcement firearms instructor give this woman $50 and tell her to take her children and their new gifts to a hotel for the night, instead of encouraging her to go home to a probable gunfight that she is clearly not prepared for in any way?

One of the greatest gifts that I have learned from all of my firearms instruction is the gift of avoidance. Along with competent firearms handling and use, I have been taught how to avoid any sort of confrontation whenever possible. Even with my level of training, regular practice, quality function tested equipment, and fighting mindset, if I suspected a home robbery from multiple assailants was imminent, I would get my family out of harms way first and foremost. And promptly.

I suspect that while the woman's fear was accurate, her scheduling maybe flawed...

Mo_Zam_Beek
01-01-15, 13:33
Great story indeed.

RE: Cheap Guns and Looking Down Your Nose

Hand a Phoenix / JA / Raven / Lorcin / Whatever to a real shooter - they can still get the hits, more than likely keep it running reasonably well just on maint, grip, and what it is fed (ball), can diagnose what is causing any function issues, and more than likely correct them with just some deburring & polishing.

Not saying that a striker fired copy of the fantastic plastic isn't light years better, just saying cheap guns can be made to run and get hits.

01-01-15, 13:55

Agreed. Or bring it to the attn. of appropriate agency as well.

SteyrAUG
01-01-15, 15:56

Because criminals don't schedule problems.

They could come that night, the next night, next week, twice next month.

At some point you have to defend the castle.

Avoidance is one thing, unless we are talking about where you live and your children sleep. That you defend. I could see sending the kids to stay with relatives for a few days. But your home is your home and it doesn't sound like she had anyone willing to come help her.

Jellybean
01-01-15, 17:01
Unfortunately the number of retards far outweighs the number of folks who A) genuinely need a hand, and B) don't already "know" everything.
I think anyone would have happily helped this person though.... apparently her relatives are total dicks. I mean, geez, if you won't take her to the range, at least offer to stay over a night or two until she feels better, or can get to the range at a more opportune time.
Probably the same sort of folks that would hand a desert eagle to her and then take a video of it... :rolleyes: