PDA

View Full Version : Safari guide squares off with elephant

C-grunt
12-31-14, 13:01
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30508335

Footage of Manny Mvula taking on the elephant who was threatening to charge the group he was leading has recently been uploaded on to YouTube.

"My instinct was to run away but Manny's calming and authoritative presence reassured me - we figured he knew what he was doing," a pupil from a secondary school in England told the BBC.

"But for Manny's heroism we could have had a memorable encounter with this gigantic beast in more ways than one."

However, Mr Mvula says that his defence of the students was all in the line of duty.

"I realised I had to do something to stop it because they were in imminent danger," he told the BBC.

Averageman
12-31-14, 13:32
What a Hero, that's an amazing story.
This guys has got balls the size of, wait,...wait,.......Wait!
A Bull Elephant !

Happy New Years!

WickedWillis
12-31-14, 13:36
I am just glad that he didn't have to kill it.

J-Dub
12-31-14, 13:49
Pretty crazy.

But I'll raise you with some pretty intense shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-WJcYpNR0Q

(DO NOT WATCH THE ABOVE IF YOU THINK ELEPHANTS ARE CUTE, CUDDLY, OR ENDANGERED...same goes for lions)

WickedWillis
12-31-14, 13:51
Pretty crazy.

But I'll raise you with some pretty intense shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-WJcYpNR0Q

(DO NOT WATCH THE ABOVE IF YOU THINK ELEPHANTS ARE CUTE, CUDDLY, OR ENDANGERED...same goes for lions)

Well, they are endangered, so.

Straight Shooter
12-31-14, 14:35
Well, I seen about everything now. DAMN!

J-Dub
12-31-14, 15:22
Well, they are endangered, so.

Actually African Elephants are not considered endangered. Now in areas of Africa that do not allow hunting yes, they are poached and numbers are dwindling. You see once hunting is banned, poaching increases due to the loss of monetary value of having elephants around. You see elephants as "beautiful, loving creatures". Africans see them as pests that destroy crops, trees, pretty much everything in their path. Without the money from hunting (usually costs around 20k for one), they have no monetary value...except for their tusks....and then they are poached. Yes photo tours create revenue, but nowhere near what hunting creates. Plus the locals don't get several hundred pounds of meat from photographers.

Indian and Asian elephants are considered endangered.

Now back on topic....

SteyrAUG
12-31-14, 15:57
Those elephants are vicious beasts with snarly teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNbUnB0438

WickedWillis
12-31-14, 16:07
Actually African Elephants are not considered endangered. Now in areas of Africa that do not allow hunting yes, they are poached and numbers are dwindling. You see once hunting is banned, poaching increases due to the loss of monetary value of having elephants around. You see elephants as "beautiful, loving creatures". Africans see them as pests that destroy crops, trees, pretty much everything in their path. Without the money from hunting (usually costs around 20k for one), they have no monetary value...except for their tusks....and then they are poached. Yes photo tours create revenue, but nowhere near what hunting creates. Plus the locals don't get several hundred pounds of meat from photographers.

Indian and Asian elephants are considered endangered.

Now back on topic....

Most of the Elephant hunting that you speak of, takes place in privately owned parks and special hunting reserves. You are correct, some does good for the locals but, they do not see most of the profit that comes from these, only a fairly small portion. Most get fed, and I am completely fine with that, but also most don't have the proper technology to store and keep the meat for future use for the the family, tribe, etc. I completely support responsible hunting and conservation in most facets, but this is usually done by people who need to feel powerful with too much money.

jpmuscle
12-31-14, 17:11
Balls. That man has them.

SeriousStudent
12-31-14, 19:45
I would have been on the radio to the guy orbiting with the JDAM's, but that's just me.....

HKGuns
12-31-14, 19:48
Balls. That man has them.

Brass was my first thought as well. Large Brass.

Airhasz
01-01-15, 13:01
Like to see Norris top that!