PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed in cerakote job

Jewell
12-31-14, 13:30
Not too long ago I took my 6920 in to get cerakoted. We went over how I wanted it done, and I was told it'd be finished in about a week. Anyhow, after many phone calls and emails, it was finished about a month later. I went to pick it up and to say the least, was pretty disappointed in what I saw.

It was not what I had envisioned at all. The guy who did it agreed that it didn't turn out well, and said he could do it over again, but not until this summer. I don't understand why he didn't just do it over again when he knew himself that it didn't turn out well?

I'm not waiting until summer to get this fixed so I told him I'd like it done asap. By that I mean within the next few days. If he can't do it, I'm going to ask for a refund and have someone else do it. So my question to you all is, who's a good person you know of to send it to? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd add a picture, but I'm not sure how?

http://imgur.com/uLyjtCI

GH41
12-31-14, 17:02
We would love to see a picture of the job. email me the pic and I'll put it up for you.

Jewell
12-31-14, 18:28
We would love to see a picture of the job. email me the pic and I'll put it up for you.

Will do.

Wake27
12-31-14, 18:29
Where did you get it done and how much research did you do for that guy? Joint Force Enterprises is one of the best out there IMO.

Jewell
12-31-14, 18:40
Where did you get it done and how much research did you do for that guy? Joint Force Enterprises is one of the best out there IMO.

I'm going to withhold the name for the time being, and give them a chance to make this right. I did quite a bit of research on them. One of the law enforcement agencies in the area, and some of the folks that worked there had them do a bunch of work for them, and from what I'd seen, they seemed to be pretty legit.

JohnnyC
12-31-14, 18:45
Pretty poor business practice to screw up a job, acknowledge that you screwed it up, and then tell the customer that they can't fix it until next summer....

Kain
12-31-14, 18:55
Six months before they can fix it? I would love to know exactly why the hell that is. I mean, they screwed up, even if they are that back logged there is no conceivable reason I can come up with that they would have that kind of delay unless the color is only a seasonal run or some such. Otherwise I would be demanding a refund and taking business elsewhere. Would like to know who it is since I am have a lower that I need coated, painted, or something before I build it and would like to avoid a place that can't do a proper job, though in all honestly, there isn't much in the way that this lower could be made worse in.

Jewell
12-31-14, 19:28
Here it is. What I wanted was a black gun with tungsten stars and stripes on it. I got the stars, but the stripes are hardly visible. Looks kind of fruity to me.

http://i.imgur.com/uLyjtCIh.jpg

GH41
12-31-14, 19:32
late post

Jewell
12-31-14, 19:37
http://i59.tinypic.com/oqac2e.jpg

This is what I wanted.

Uprange41
12-31-14, 19:40
There should really be someone on-hand with every refinisher to mock up what the person wants, before doing it.

OP, if you want, I can see if I can do a photoshop of what you're looking for.

EDIT - well there ya go lol. Did you show that beforehand?

Jewell
12-31-14, 19:44
There should really be someone on-hand with every refinisher to mock up what the person wants, before doing it.

OP, if you want, I can see if I can do a photoshop of what you're looking for.

EDIT - well there ya go lol. Did you show that beforehand?

The same guy did both of these guns. I told him that's how I wanted mine.

Wake27
12-31-14, 20:23
I'm going to withhold the name for the time being, and give them a chance to make this right. I did quite a bit of research on them. One of the law enforcement agencies in the area, and some of the folks that worked there had them do a bunch of work for them, and from what I'd seen, they seemed to be pretty legit.

Sorry to hear about your troubles then, sounds like you did your part. The way you wanted it is pretty sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jewell
12-31-14, 20:30
Sorry to hear about your troubles then, sounds like you did your part. The way you wanted it is pretty sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole process has been a nigjtmare. I'm just hoping to get it done right or get a refund and take it to somebody that can.

j-ro
12-31-14, 20:56
Sorry you are having all this trouble.

BG1960
12-31-14, 21:33
That example is bad ass.

djegators
12-31-14, 21:37
I have an excellent cerakote guy, pm me if interested...

Jewell
01-01-15, 17:54
So I'm starting to get the feeling this guy is ignoring me. Either that or he has some pretty piss poor communication skills. I emailed him Tuesday night letting him know that I wasn't willing to wait until summer to get this redone the right way. Anyhow, he still hasn't gotten back to me. I should have known. When I originally tried to get a hold of him, it took him about 2 weeks to get back to me. That's unsatisfactory. Especially this day in age.

SW-Shooter
01-01-15, 20:38

Whenever I see this as a response, my give-o-shit meter gets pegged into the minus. Why post at all until the terms are agreed upon? Post up the name, or keep your problems to yourself, grown folks got better things to do.

ETA: The reason my post is harsh is because this very guy could be in the process of screwing over some other poor schlub.

Wake27
01-01-15, 20:47
Whenever I see this as a response, my give-o-shit meter gets pegged into the minus. Why post at all until the terms are agreed upon? Post up the name, or keep your problems to yourself, grown folks got better things to do.

ETA: The reason my post is harsh is because this very guy could be in the process of screwing over some other poor schlub.

I'm assuming you meant to quote the post about him withholding the name for now?

SW-Shooter
01-01-15, 20:52
Yep Wake. I screwed the pooch on that one. I fixed it.

Flankenstein
01-01-15, 20:55

Agreed.

williejc
01-01-15, 21:06
The technician's attitude is a valid reason to avoid his shop because he has already demonstrated that he doesn't care about his work or his customers. I've been burned twice with refinishing jobs and know how you feel. Good luck on getting a refund.

03scgt
01-02-15, 07:45
Man just send it out to jointforce enterprises and have it done correctly.They aren't the cheapest but they do some of the nciest work I've seen

5.56Geo
01-02-15, 11:16
My thoughts...

1. That type of work is art. It's kind of hard for the "Mona Lisa" to be painted twice. It looks close but you will be hard pressed to get it replicated. Maybe a close-up picture of your AR will show flaws.

2. You feel he is ignoring you, maybe. It's only the 2nd and your original post was posted a few days ago with a major holiday in between.

I feel your pain but I would give it a day or two for him to respond. You are correct, he should NOT make you wait any amount of time other than a few days to get the work done.

Again my thought.... Good luck.

VIP3R 237
01-02-15, 11:28
Here it is. What I wanted was a black gun with tungsten stars and stripes on it. I got the stars, but the stripes are hardly visible. Looks kind of fruity to me.

http://i.imgur.com/uLyjtCIh.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/oqac2e.jpg

This is what I wanted.

One thing that i've learned is that when a customer brings in a photo of an object or design that has been edited, enhanced, touched up, etc. is that the end result to the human eye may not look as good as the photo. I'm not calling you out, but tungsten on black doesn't have a great contrast especially with different lighting. In the 'Wanted' picture the lighting is directly on the receiver with a lighter background so it stands out more, vs your rifle is dark on a reflective background that in my experience doesn't help show off details as well. maybe post a picture with similar lighting so we can get a better look.

Jewell
01-02-15, 12:10
One thing that i've learned is that when a customer brings in a photo of an object or design that has been edited, enhanced, touched up, etc. is that the end result to the human eye may not look as good as the photo. I'm not calling you out, but tungsten on black doesn't have a great contrast especially with different lighting. In the 'Wanted' picture the lighting is directly on the receiver with a lighter background so it stands out more, vs your rifle is dark on a reflective background that in my experience doesn't help show off details as well. maybe post a picture with similar lighting so we can get a better look.

The problem is that he made it work before. I didn't just pull that picture off the internet. That picture is of a gun he did himself, and had sitting in his shop when I went in. I flat out told him to use on mine the same colors he used on the one on the photo. If he can't re create something he's already done before, maybe this isn't the business for him. The man himself said he wasn't impressed with his work.

As far as my own picture goes, you'll just have to trust me when I say that that the stripes look awful. Almost nonexistent. I'll be happy to post some more pictures if you'd like a better look though.

CatSnipah
01-02-15, 12:30
http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/?gclid=CK6mnZ349cICFaHm7AodZmkA_A

You can search for authorized applicators from the link at the top of the page, then do another level down of research on your own to get reviews, etc.

Jewell
01-02-15, 12:30
http://i61.tinypic.com/2l0rig.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/111ma8y.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/30kty79.jpg

VIP3R 237
01-02-15, 12:36
Yeah that's a crappy job, I can definitely see why you aren't pleased. I hope they guy who did it takes care of it.

BSmith
01-02-15, 18:38
Hate to laugh but it looks like he borrowed his kid's star stickers and put them on there.

How the same guy could do both jobs boggles my mind. The whole design is different.

Jewell
01-02-15, 19:16
Hate to laugh but it looks like he borrowed his kid's star stickers and put them on there.

How the same guy could do both jobs boggles my mind. The whole design is different.

Ha! Star stickers were the first thing that crossed my mind as well.

fifthward
01-02-15, 22:56

As an artist - I wonder if he was trying to not replicate the other design, and instead make another iteration??? Or did the owner of the first design request that his rifle remain unique?

Jewell
01-03-15, 00:28
As an artist - I wonder if he was trying to not replicate the other design, and instead make another iteration??? Or did the owner of the first design request that his rifle remain unique?

If that's the case I wish he would have just told me that from the start rather than drag me through this ****ery.

kapusta
01-03-15, 09:34
You're also assuming that he actually did do the job that was on display.

Jewell
01-03-15, 11:37
You're also assuming that he actually did do the job that was on display.

He did.

JG007
01-03-15, 12:21
Reminds me of the popular "NAILED IT" Internet meme/pictures

nickforney
01-04-15, 11:52
Im gonna guess you are in northwest Iowa. I think I know who did that stellar work. You are probably best off writing it off as a loss. I would suggest calling Controlled Chaos Arms in baxter Iowa.

Post the name of the company that did this. What happened to you has happened to many others and it is people who don't talk about the who that screw other consumers over making it so they search for the name or company and nothing negative comes up.

jhr1986
01-04-15, 16:06
Send it to shortbus. http://customguncoatings.com/

Jewell
01-04-15, 16:28
Im gonna guess you are in northwest Iowa. I think I know who did that stellar work. You are probably best off writing it off as a loss. I would suggest calling Controlled Chaos Arms in baxter Iowa.

Post the name of the company that did this. What happened to you has happened to many others and it is people who don't talk about the who that screw other consumers over making it so they search for the name or company and nothing negative comes up.

You'd be spot on about who it is. Being that he's done this to others, I'll post the name of the company. Definitely wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. Thanks for the info.

http://www.dynamicarmaments.com/

https://m.facebook.com/DynamicArmaments

Flankenstein
01-04-15, 16:54

How did you know?

nickforney
01-04-15, 16:56
Sadly I happen to be related to the applicator. I have seen a picture of the original before. I talked to jewell on PM already hopefully he can get a good resolution to this but I am doubtful.

Jewell
01-11-15, 19:12
http://s9.postimg.org/axrzqjqqn/tmp_15180_20150111_1701271421121821.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6bvvi757f/full/)
[url=http://po

My story has a happy ending. The applicator made good and got my gun back in over the weekend. I decided not to go with the stars and stripes anymore, so here's what I got. All in all, I think this guy has the potential to create some nice stuff, but he leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to professionalism and work ethic. Anyhow, I could still never recommend this guy, but I'm glad to finally get the issue resolved.

nickforney
01-11-15, 19:30
good to hear you didn't have to dump more into it sorry you didn't get what you wanted.

Jewell
01-11-15, 19:40
good to hear you didn't have to dump more into it sorry you didn't get what you wanted.

I'm actually alright with just doing something simple. I think the olive drab and black turned out pretty good.

daniel9541000
01-11-15, 20:00
They cerakoted my 1911 last week, it came out perfect!! The AR's on the shop wall display look fantastic. I live 10 min. away from their shop...

Mr blasty
01-11-15, 21:43
I'm actually alright with just doing something simple. I think the olive drab and black turned out pretty good.

It's one of my favorite color schemes for firearms.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2