PDA

View Full Version : Noob with question on zeroing sights

m1A
06-29-08, 19:40
I recently purchased a Colt Match Target rifle. 20" barrel, fixed carry handle, manufactured 11/97. I took it to the range for the first time this weekend so I could zero the sights. I used the procedure for zeroing at 25 yards as per the manual.

I started out with the rear sight calibration lines centered. My group was very far off to the left and low, not even on the paper. I began making adjustments to bring the group to the right. I ended up with 12 clicks to right. I am right between the 1st and 2nd calibration marks to get the group centered.

I got rained out before I was able to get the front sight adjusted but I had to hold five inches high to bring the group to the center of the target. I was very surprised that I had to move the rear sight so far. I did'nt t think that would require much adjustment at all. Is this normal or does it indicate a problem with the rifle?

Iraqgunz
06-30-08, 11:27
I don't think it's unusual at all. My zero is generally about 9 clicks to the right and 6 down (front sight post). I all depends on the shooter. I have seen a few guys whose sight is cranked almost all the way to the left.

Benthic
06-30-08, 11:35
I don't think it's unusual at all. My zero is generally about 9 clicks to the right and 6 down (front sight post). I all depends on the shooter. I have seen a few guys whose sight is cranked almost all the way to the left.

Would adjustments like that be an indication that something is out of alignment within the rifle?

Brian

thebigx
06-30-08, 12:09
Would adjustments like that be an indication that something is out of alignment within the rifle?

Brian

i would think so, i had mine all the way to the left and still wasn't zeroing in on my target... everything looked good to my eye, but when i put a level on my free float, it was off! so i leveled the ff to the upper receiver... went back to sight it in and now my rear sight is just a little bit to the left of dead center.

Iraqgunz
06-30-08, 12:40
I would venture to say that any extreme left or right changes could be a sight problem, but it's hard to say. Extreme elevation problems could be a symptom of the wrong front sight post in that particular rifle/ carbine. There could also be shooter error going on as well. In your case all seems normal. The only thing that confused me was the terminology you were using to explain your adjustments. Here it is down and dirty.

1. Perform a mechanical zero (and then set the rear sight at 8/3 up one click) and fire a 3 shot group on the approriate target. Triangulate the group and make the adjustment from there.

2. Windage is obvioulsy done with the rear sight. Elevation is adjusted by using the front sight post.

3. Once you are hitting where you need to be reconfirm and record your adjustments.

4. Make sure you follow the basic rules of marksmanship.

Brian

Failure2Stop
06-30-08, 12:42
12 clicks of windage, while not average, is not excessive. There is a big difference in a sight being maxed out versus a dozen clicks.
5" of elevation difference is a bit much though (13-14 clicks). Still, I wouldn't be worried about the weapon, just the sights.
What does the base of the front sight look like in the front sight housing? It should not be buried in the front sight housing, at least not at first.

Is this a new rifle (I understand that it was mfgd in 97, asking if it is from someone else)? If not, what is it's history (if known)?

recon by fire
06-30-08, 18:55
I recently purchased a Colt Match Target rifle. 20" barrel, fixed carry handle, manufactured 11/97. I took it to the range for the first time this weekend so I could zero the sights. I used the procedure for zeroing at 25 yards as per the manual.

I started out with the rear sight calibration lines centered. My group was very far off to the left and low, not even on the paper. I began making adjustments to bring the group to the right. I ended up with 12 clicks to right. I am right between the 1st and 2nd calibration marks to get the group centered.

I got rained out before I was able to get the front sight adjusted but I had to hold five inches high to bring the group to the center of the target. I was very surprised that I had to move the rear sight so far. I did'nt t think that would require much adjustment at all. Is this normal or does it indicate a problem with the rifle?

12 clicks from mechanical zero to battlesight zero, is not that much for a windage adjustment. It sounds like you need to now bring your front sight post down (point of impact up). For some reason, most of the time the elevation adjustment for battlesight from mechanical zero, is usually a point of impact up, adjustment. So your adjustments sound like the normal zero process to me. There is nothing wrong with your rifle.

m1A
06-30-08, 20:53
12 clicks of windage, while not average, is not excessive. There is a big difference in a sight being maxed out versus a dozen clicks.
5" of elevation difference is a bit much though (13-14 clicks). Still, I wouldn't be worried about the weapon, just the sights.
What does the base of the front sight look like in the front sight housing? It should not be buried in the front sight housing, at least not at first.

Is this a new rifle (I understand that it was mfgd in 97, asking if it is from someone else)? If not, what is it's history (if known)?

The base of the front sight is flush with the housing right now.

I don't have any history on the rifle. It appears like it has not had many rounds through it. The gas tube is not discolored at all, and the finish is still on the shell deflector. It is in overall excellent condition.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I thought I had a problem with the rifle. I'm feeling a lot better about it now.

Failure2Stop
07-01-08, 05:18
Just adjust your front sight to achieve point of aim/point of impact. Should be around 13 "clicks" in the direction of the "Up" arrow (will bring the sight down).

Highly recommend that you get a hard zero at 200 or 300 yards if possible. If not, a 50 is pretty good, but there are a few things about the sights you need to know if you want to go down that route.