PDA

View Full Version : Optics in arctic weather conditions?

Titan74
01-01-15, 12:09
How the current rifle optics work in cold winter weather condions? I'm thinking about optics like Aimpoints, ACOGs or small variable scopes and extended field use in cold winter or arctic weather conditions (-30 to +40F, including snow, ice, wet snow and rain).

How the sights take the cold weather, are there issues with freezing switches or batteries that die quickly? How long can you expect the batteries in an Aimpoint (1/3N or AA) or Aimpoint Micro (CR2032) to last in winter conditions? Is an ACOG the most reliable sight if you want to have an illuminated reticle in extreme cold weather?
How to avoid getting snow or ice on to your lenses? Flip caps are probably a good idea but you can't keep them closed all the time.
Eventually you'll get snow into the lenses: are there good and fast ways to get it out (brushes and microfibre cloth come to mind) or is a QD mount necessary so that you can quickly transition from optic to irons? I'd guess that it would be rather easy to get the snow out from the Aimpoints and very difficult to get it out from small variables where the objective lens is usually recessed rather deep in the sight tube.
Any other ideas or experiences regarding the use of rifle optics in winter weather?

Failure2Stop
01-01-15, 13:17
Have a QD mount and a good set of irons, or a set of good offset iron sights.

The biggest issue is lens obscuration, everything else is minutia.

mcnabb100
01-03-15, 01:46
I haven't seen any problems with my ACOG in cold weather. I imagine to remove snow you could just blow it off. If you are super worried about it put your optic on a QD mount.

I guess a worst case would be if you ran a variable zoom and your zoom control or something froze up. Would be especially bad if it froze at like, 24X mag or something. Probably wouldn't happen.

Full disclosure: I haven't really shot in the cold a ton.

WS6
01-03-15, 03:13
Have a QD mount and a good set of irons, or a set of good offset iron sights.

The biggest issue is lens obscuration, everything else is minutia.

I would think that larue would be THE mount for this, no?

Titan74
01-03-15, 04:35
I imagine to remove snow you could just blow it off.
This comes to mind first but it is something that you should never do: blowing warm and humid air to cold lenses is the fastest way to cover them with ice (or heavy fog if you are lucky and temperature is above freezing point).

QD mount is a very good idea. Operating small and stiff levers (as with Larue) in very cold weather can still be a chore because of reduced dexterity of fingers.

WS6
01-03-15, 05:08
This comes to mind first but it is something that you should never do: blowing warm and humid air to cold lenses is the fastest way to cover them with ice (or heavy fog if you are lucky and temperature is above freezing point).

QD mount is a very good idea. Operating small and stiff levers (as with Larue) in very cold weather can still be a chore because of reduced dexterity of fingers.

What better option for qd exists for arctic conditions?

Jippo
01-03-15, 06:10

For instance ERA-TAC makes an easy to grip mount. They are excellent. But regardless of the brand, I agree QD is a must.

Snow is one thing that can block your sights, but the worst is IMHO frosting. As mentioned, even though blowing is a sound method for clearing snow from the iron sights, I'm sure you'll only try it once with your optic. When the glass is a lot below freezing point, it only takes one careless exhale and your optics is blocked. That happens very easily when getting into a firing position. I had once ACOG freeze only from sweat on combat drill as I had to cradle the rifle against my body when changing positions. Codensation on sub-zero glass means instant freezing. And I think the only way to get that off is wiping it with a piece of cloth etc. and the warmth of your hands.

nimdabew
01-03-15, 11:17
Everyone has a lens pen for their ACOG right?

Failure2Stop
01-03-15, 15:49

I prefer Bobro in general, however, all of the levers will be difficult with low temp gloves.
I use my sling to pop the levers when in cold gear.

mcnabb100
01-03-15, 15:55
I have one but I don't carry it around with me.

Failure2Stop
01-03-15, 16:14

Not going to do much with frozen condensation, which is the biggest issue.
For everything else, wiping the snow out with a gloved thumb isn't going to ruin the glass anyway.

The_Swede
01-03-15, 17:49
Store the weapon in the same climate you intend to use it in. Dont bring the gun into a warm room if you can avoid it e.g. This happens from time to time with massive condensation on the lenses or worse: frozen bcg/bolts

WS6
01-03-15, 18:16
I prefer Bobro in general, however, all of the levers will be difficult with low temp gloves.
I use my sling to pop the levers when in cold gear.
Messaged you elsewhere to save the thread from a De-rail.

That said, the reason I mention LaRue is that the Bobro does not allow you to unclamp the "locking block". It just allows you to move the lever and ALLOW it to un-clamp. The springs are strong, for sure, but there is also in my mind a chance that water could get inside the movement space of them, or freeze the block to the rail. I don't know if this is valid or not, but the LaRue has a smaller contact spot, as well as the physics of the mount allowing the user to unlatch it by applying pressure directly to the moving parts with not "deadsplace" to ice up and prevent movement. It is an active unlocking system vs. passive, regarding user pressure input, if that makes sense?

Again, this is all theory in my book, as I've never been in "arctic" conditions, so please don't hesitate to tell me I'm full of crap if I'm wrong.

Failure2Stop
01-03-15, 21:00
I see where you're coming from, and can only say that I've not had an issue with Bobro even in frozen conditions. I have not, however, done a full condition test, so I will have to leave that to those that deal with the conditions continuously.

nimdabew
01-03-15, 21:06
Not going to do much with frozen condensation, which is the biggest issue.
For everything else, wiping the snow out with a gloved thumb isn't going to ruin the glass anyway.

Ture, but a lens brush wouldn't require you to blow in the first place. But then again, I don't spend a lot of time in arctic conditions. It is just water everywhere in the PNW so dealing with rain is my speciality.

Jippo
01-04-15, 02:25
Ture, but a lens brush wouldn't require you to blow in the first place. But then again, I don't spend a lot of time in arctic conditions. It is just water everywhere in the PNW so dealing with rain is my speciality.

I don't think anyone would blow into their scope intentionally, but it does happen accidentally. Here's a pic of rifle that I shot couple of groups in -25C. The ice on it is just from my breathing whilst aiming. You can see I shoot with my nose "to the charging handle."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/Jippo01/Guns/ACR/WP_0000461.jpg

I don't carry a lens pen with me. If I get obstructed optics in the winter, I usually wipe it with my shirt sleave(clean and warm compared to the jacket or glove), in the summer blowing water on the lens usually does the trick. I carry a Camelbak, so it is an easy, quick fix.