PDA

View Full Version : My 308 build

jesuvuah
01-02-15, 17:46
I just thought I would share my recent LR308/AR10 build. I decided to build my own because I could not really find anything on the market that had everything that I wanted. What I wanted was a 18" medium weight barrel of good quality. A good trigger. Keymod free float rail (the lighter the better). A good buttstock, and an adjustable gas block. Here is a list of what I did to build it:

Aero Precision M5 receiver set in FDE
Aero Bolt carrier group.
Mill spec LPK (the takedown and pivot pins are proprietary aero pins though)
Geissele G2S-E trigger
Magpul UBR stock
Sprinco green buffer spring
DPMS carbine buffer
Rainier arms select 18" barrel
midlength gas tube
Syrac adjustable gas block
PWS FSC muzzle brake.
Fortis 14" switch rail

I managed to get a lot of this stuff on sale and total cost was in the neighborhood of $1600

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/jesuvuah/P1010917_zps5df38c26.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jesuvuah/media/P1010917_zps5df38c26.jpg.html)

Everything on this build was kind of a compromise between quality and price. Basically I wanted to get the best I could without breaking the bank. The reason for the compromise was basically because I don't foresee using this rifle all that much because 5.56 covers most of my needs. I chose the Aero receiver set because I had not heard anything negative about them and they seemed to be a good compromise on quality and price. I actually started out with a PSA lower, but once I found out that a lot of aftermarket triggers would not work with their lower, I sent it back for a refund. I choose the rainier arms select barrel for the same reasons. I also like that fact that it comes with a money back guarantee and I wanted to try out the poly rifling in a rifle. I also did not want to get into a real heavy barrel as I was trying to watch the weight. I already had the UBR stock and I moved it from my DMR 5.56 to this because it was a little on the heavy side for an AR15 for me, but I love it on this rifle. I wanted the adjustable gas block to be able to tune the gas system and hope to run a suppressor someday. I heard plenty of good things about the PWS FSC so I figured I would give it a try.

Why did I choose the AR platform? Well, I owned a G3 pattern rifle before. I think they a great guns, but they reak havoc on brass and I prefer the manual of arms on the AR. Never owned a FAL, but have handled them. Seem like nice rifles, but I wanted something more modern and modular. I almost bought the scar, but for the price, there were just too many gripes I had about it. Long story short, with the scar, after buying a 3k firearm,I would probably have to stick close to another 1k into it to make me happy. I probably would have bought the sig 716 if it did not come with cheese grater hand guards. At the end of the day, while the AR platform does have its shortcomings, sticking with the same manual of arms as my other rifles, and the modularity and growing popularity of 308 AR's led me to the decision to choose that platform.

I have not had the chance to stretch out it legs yet. All I have done is a rough zero, started the barrel break in process, and got the gas adjustment set up were I want it. After I got the gas system tuned. I did some double and triple taps and that was definitely fun. The recoil is very manageable, not much more the an AR15 but the report of the 308 puts a smile on your face.

Malig8r
01-02-15, 20:20
Congratulations. Look forward to hearing about a full on range report. I am in the process of a similar set up although I am thinking about a different rail and haven't decided between the Rainier Arms or the Mega Arms barrel yet.

jesuvuah
01-02-15, 20:23
Congratulations. Look forward to hearing about a full on range report. I am in the process of a similar set up although I am thinking about a different rail and haven't decided between the Rainier Arms or the Mega Arms barrel yet.
Choosing the barrel was the hardest part. I am not sure if I am love this rail but I wanted to give it a try