PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ picking optic - Burris XTR, Bushnell 4200, or Trijicon

exd3686
06-29-08, 22:05
Looking to put a low power optic on my new M4gery. Of couse, I'd like a S&B Short Dot or a Nightforce but just can't afford one. I'm looking at the Burris XTR 1-4X24 but it has not been out long enough and not alot of reviews out there. Also looking at the Bushnell 4200 1.25-4X24 with illuminated reticle. And last but not least, the Trijicon TR21-3 with #4 reticle and amber dot.

Most important to me are bright and clear optics, holds zero, fast at CQB distances (ability to keep both eyes open and engage targets), bright enough for illumination during daylight, battery life, and over all length.

Your expertise, help, and opinions are welcome.

blkexp98
06-30-08, 17:25
I have a bushnell 4200 but its not the low magnification you are looking at. I do have to say that the scope is very clear and has good color/resolution. So from my personal experience i wouldnt put down the 4200 line clarity and brightness wise. What i dont know is how duarble their scopes are. That may or may not be an issue for the purpose you want it for but its definatly something to cosider. I know i dont treat my carbine as well as my bolt gun so on the carbine i would want something i could feel ok dropping.

Hope that makes sence,

Major

LettersFromEarth
06-30-08, 21:20
All are good companies to deal with to be sure. Id have to go with the trijicon, though. But that is dependent on you 1--having an extended E/R mount such as LaRue or ADM both make. 2--your going to put it on a Mono type upper.

Just wondering--why the amber reticle? Ive used both (not AccuPoints, though) and I find I like the red better--but I do have some goofed up eyes so....

exd3686
06-30-08, 22:05
The mount is not an issue as I don't have one yet. Is the extended LaRue/ADM necessary or will a regular SPR mount provide enough eye relief? Amber is not my first choice but is the only option with the TR21-3 with the #4 reticle w/dot. I'm not a fan of the triangle since I heard of the inability to shoot distances with holdover.

Still no one has any input or experience with the Burris XTR 1-4X24....anyone...anyone. I've heard some decent reviews on the Burris. I hope to mainly use it as an optic on my AR platform but switch it to my slug gun for deer hunting season.

Jerm
06-30-08, 22:15
dont have any experience with the others but i really like the Trijicon.not as fast as the Aimpoint but not bad...pretty heavy by the time you add the mount as well.

how far out do you plan on shooting?

i personally like the amber,but holdover shouldnt be an issue until out past 300 yards or so with the triangle.

exd3686
06-30-08, 22:35
Jerm,

Thanks for your input. Practically, I don't see shooting much past 300 yards so it is good to hear that the triangle is not an issue. Are you using an extended eye relief mount (LaRue SPR EER or ADM Recon-X). I see that G&R Tactical is selling a package deal with either the SPR or SPR EER. So is the extended eye relief mount necessary? I'd perfer a standard SPR.

Thanks again!

Jerm
07-01-08, 00:21
i used the Larue EER on my LMT...mounted as far forward as possible on the reciever and with the TR21 mounted as far forward in the mount as possible(which made it just right).

YMMV

ccoker
07-02-08, 22:52
similiar situation recently for my 6.8 as one of my hunting rifles

have you considered an ACOG?

I had the Bushnell
just didnt care for the reticle, the horizontal thin line was too wide before it got thick making it not a fast reticle for me
by contrast, I have a Burris 1.5-6 with a german #4 and I found it faster to get sighted in due to the thicker lines being a little closer, hard to explain, but it was better

additionally, you don't have daytime illumination for the reticle and at night/low light, the lit reticle was overwhelming, obstructed the target.. not good for hunting

the Accupoint would be better I think but you definitely need the extended eye relief mount

I tried a few low powereds (not the accupoint though) as well as an Eotech with a 3x and ended up with the TA33, and actually got a 2nd

with the TA33 I can keep a 1" group off the bench with my 6.8 or 5.56
and outside of 25 yards it's as fast as the Eotech was for me