PDA

View Full Version : Guardians Of The Galavy (Review)

WillBrink
01-04-15, 08:38
Movie starts out with an intense depressing adult scene you're assuming a big set up for something really important later on, which never really comes. The movie uses the generic plot themes from the big book of "How to make a generic action sci fi movie" and runs with it. No surprises there. There's an occasional attempt to make the characters seem three dimensional with feelings and depth, but it does not work. Best part of the movie is the excellent CGI, action scenes, and a green Zoe Saldana. Would have liked to see more green Zoe Saldana and less of the really annoying CGI racoon thing. Not even attempting to hide the fact the entire movie set up for a sequel always a thumbs down in lazy movie making to me. Get's a C+ from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96cjJhvlMA

Jaysop
01-04-15, 09:35
That's not the kind of movie go see if your looking for a deep storyline.
It's the kind of movie you can get up and go to the bathroom, come back and not really have missed anything.

WillBrink
01-04-15, 10:31
That's not the kind of movie go see if your looking for a deep storyline.
It's the kind of movie you can get up and go to the bathroom, come back and not really have missed anything.

The opening scene was way too serious and set you up for a movie that took itself serious and should have just been edited out totally. The interplay between characters works well in some movies of this type, just seemed utterly predictable and formulaic in this movie to me. It's a visually fun movie decent time killing rental.

ramairthree
01-04-15, 10:52
I was really surprised at how well this movie did and how much my kids and others their age enjoyed it.

As a kid in the 70s I bought up a ton of 25c comics and up to how much they were in the early 80s.

I understood how the big names like Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Superman, X-Men, etc. got big movies and draws.
And also surprised how bad some the of the big name movies like Hulk could be so bad.

Iron Man movies got huge draws. That also surprised me because as a kid he was the old guy with a drinking and medial problems and just smart with a fancy suit. I remember him as prominent, like the dude married to the Wasp, but not a true A team hero. But his movies made a fortune.

Anyways, the opening scene,
set up the sound track,
and having that loss, followed by being raised by pirates,
I assume was to give the lead guy a free pass at being the way he was.
Might not have been a sympathetic/likable character without the set up.

These guys I had never heard of/did not remember.

At first when I heard about the movie I had vague memories about the X-man Cyclops guy having family like this but not a raccoon.

A bunch of no-namers/fillers are supposed to come up in new movies also that I shake my head at and only vaguely remember as bench warmers.

docsherm
01-04-15, 11:13
I liked it. My boys and I watched it and it was enjoyable. Very well done. Some parts were a bit over the top for kids but not too bad. Overall a good family movie that all would enjoy.

Averageman
01-04-15, 13:44
I enjoyed it, but lets face it, it's a fantasy.
Your reminder however did get me to go put "the Watchmen" in the DVD, which I thought was equally as silly in parts, but a much better movie overall.

MorphCross
01-04-15, 14:25
Maybe if I had actually read some of the original GotG comics I would of had more of a connection.

It seemed that the comedy was way too forced and a lot of what was funny was put into the trailers. The villain having everything he needed to end the world and yet he stands around like a doofus watching the protagonist make a complete fool of himself was one of many eye rolling moments. I would much rather that movies don't insult my intelligence. Perhaps Marvel should send their movies out to other major studios rather than trying to take it on on their own.

Koshinn
01-04-15, 15:39
Maybe if I had actually read some of the original GotG comics I would of had more of a connection.

It seemed that the comedy was way too forced and a lot of what was funny was put into the trailers. The villain having everything he needed to end the world and yet he stands around like a doofus watching the protagonist make a complete fool of himself was one of many eye rolling moments. I would much rather that movies don't insult my intelligence. Perhaps Marvel should send their movies out to other major studios rather than trying to take it on on their own.

To be fair, if you had everything you needed and absolutely no hint that anyone could stop you, what's the big rush?

ForTehNguyen
01-04-15, 15:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0K436vUM4w

MountainRaven
01-04-15, 15:54
Weird. I really enjoyed the movie. As did just about everyone I know.

I don't mind formula. This movie was made for formula. The Guardians of the Galaxy came out shortly after Star Wars, IIRC, and was Marvel's attempt at making a science-fantasy space opera akin to Star Wars. Cross-reference with Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Battlestar Galactica, two other efforts by unrelated companies to soak up some of the massive audience (and their dollars) for Star Wars.

To be fair, if you had everything you needed and absolutely no hint that anyone could stop you, what's the big rush?

Yup. Ronan believes he could best Thanos, the once and again most powerful being in the universe. And, frankly, I found "Dance-off, bro!" to be utterly hilarious.

I'm presuming it worked because Ronan had a stick so far up his Kree butt and he didn't understand the concept of humor - having been raised by his father to avenge his father's father... and eventually his father, too. So the dance-off interrupted his OODA loop.

MorphCross
01-04-15, 17:32

To also be fair, i'm not an omnicidal maniac with delusions of grandeur. Just saying his pause is right up there with the Super-villain monologue trope.

Koshinn
01-04-15, 17:36
Yup. Ronan believes he could best Thanos, the once and again most powerful being in the universe. And, frankly, I found "Dance-off, bro!" to be utterly hilarious.

Thanos is and always will be second most powerful.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/mTB9V.jpg

I'm presuming it worked because Ronan had a stick so far up his Kree butt and he didn't understand the concept of humor - having been raised by his father to avenge his father's father... and eventually his father, too. So the dance-off interrupted his OODA loop.
Did it? Did it really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqWX0EkdOYo

Bubba FAL
01-04-15, 20:30

Disney owns Marvel, 'nuf said.

JohnnyC
01-04-15, 20:38
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It exceeded my expectations.

I temper that with the expectation that it was going to be the biggest piece of shit I'd seen all year. They were clearly not taking themselves very seriously considering they put Chris Pratt as the lead.

I enjoyed it much more than any of the other Marvel stuff going on. In fact, the only other Marvel movies I've enjoyed were the Ironman ones. Everything else has been shite.

Irish
01-04-15, 20:43
I liked it.

MountainRaven
01-05-15, 00:27
Thanos is and always will be second most powerful.
http://i.stack.imgur.com/mTB9V.jpg

They haven't introduced Squirrel Girl, yet.

Yet.

Did it? Did it really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqWX0EkdOYo

:lol:

Unfortunately, that particular bit didn't make the final cut of the movie. :D

prdubi
02-26-15, 18:47
suddenly everyone is sister and ebert.I loved it and I give it 10 points.

skydivr
02-26-15, 21:11
I am a huge SciFi fan, and I was disappointed that I didn't like it...