PDA

View Full Version : First shots with my new build

Gooch_
01-04-15, 11:38
Well......the rifle runs like a sewing machine. I took it to the range for a little break in and function check. I didn't have much time but I was able to get about 200 rounds through it. I wish I would have taken more pics....next time.

I got 3 mags out and loaded them with 1, 2, and 3 rounds.

For the first shot the bolt seated nicely and took the round out of the mag no problems when I charged it. After firing it ejected and the bolt locked back on the empty mag.

The second mag went in and I sent the bolt home. It seated nicely again and fired twice. It ejected and cycled perfectly.

The third mag went in and I fired the 3 rounds in rapid succession. It cycled perfectly and all my brass was in a neat pile.

I zeroed it at 50 yards for now. Here is a group with the iron sights somewhere during the adjustments.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/04/70c84c0522572246b8fdb47638cb9619.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/04/6b1ba05b8734e76ebc53a4181096e009.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/04/40573c66f7dbd293f4b4f75b8612de56.jpg

Gooch_
01-04-15, 11:52
I guess I should post some specs [emoji51]

-Aero lower
-Aero M4E1 upper with 13" enhanced keymod handgaurd
-14.5" Aero barrel midlength
-Yankee Hill Machine YHM-9384 clamp on gas block
-PWS FCS556 Comp
-Aero NB BCG
-DPMS LP KIT (takedown pins were so out of spec the were unusable)
-BAD enhanced Linsey
-DPMS receiver extension
-carbine buffer/spring
-ergo AR grip
-noveske short throw 60 selector
-magpul QD ASAP reciever end plate
-magpul BAD lever
-battle link minimalist stock

TF82
01-04-15, 13:45
Someone will come along eventually and suggest you stake your castle nut so, you know.... that. Looks like that Aero barrel is pretty accurate which is cool because their products are pretty inexpensive comparatively. Since you have them maybe you can answer some questions I've had about some of their products. How does the staking look on their BCG? Also, I know things looking cool doesn't really matter, but I have to admit, their enhanced upper DOES look cool. Do you have to use their proprietary barrel nut/rail system with it, or will it work with others?

Gooch_
01-04-15, 14:28
Someone will come along eventually and suggest you stake your castle nut so, you know.... that. Looks like that Aero barrel is pretty accurate which is cool because their products are pretty inexpensive comparatively. Since you have them maybe you can answer some questions I've had about some of their products. How does the staking look on their BCG? Also, I know things looking cool doesn't really matter, but I have to admit, their enhanced upper DOES look cool. Do you have to use their proprietary barrel nut/rail system with it, or will it work with others?

I'll probably stake it soon..... I just haven't taken the time to learn the nitty gritty of doing it yet. Ya I'm pretty impressed with the barrel. I have a 3x magnifier to use with my microdot ...not the best for long distance precision shooting, but, I will post a range report when I get a chance to really dial it in.

As for the BCG staking I'll have to get you some better pictures but here is a couple I have on my phone.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/04/4fa9adddacd52e466c1dbdb7d68bdba3.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/04/00df14c383e633cf2a70d01a7a890d8f.jpg

You do need to use they're barrel nut but it in threaded inside the receiver so the rail doesn't slide over it. It slides over the receiver. There is a few BAR style rails that will work with it. Although I must say......the EKH is pretty comfy, very beefy/well made, and has tons of room inside. I used a YHM clamp on block which many users have clearance issues. Plenty of room in there under the aero rail. It would fit a suppressor easily.

TF82
01-04-15, 17:04
Thanks for the info.

Gooch_
01-05-15, 11:10
No problem.

Now that I see how accurate the gun is I almost wish I would have put a 1-6x scope on it. I was seriously considering it before I went with the microdot and magnifier combo.

Paradis1142
01-07-15, 04:14
Nice!

MBtech
01-08-15, 12:53
No problem.

Now that I see how accurate the gun is I almost wish I would have put a 1-6x scope on it. I was seriously considering it before I went with the microdot and magnifier combo.

Gooch, nice rifle. As we discussed in the optics threads a while back on the Leatherwood CMR, then to the PA RDS I think you are on the right track of finding what works best for you and what you prefer without going crazy on a ton of $ on an optic right off the bat before testing the water some, then "buy once cry once" And how was daughter's Micky Merry Christmas?

Again nice setup

Gooch_
01-08-15, 13:01
Gooch, nice rifle. As we discussed in the optics threads a while back on the Leatherwood CMR, then to the PA RDS I think you are on the right track of finding what works best for you and what you prefer without going crazy on a ton of $ on an optic right off the bat before testing the water some, then "buy once cry once" And how was daughter's Micky Merry Christmas?

Again nice setup

Thanks man.... Mickeys Christmas was great....Disney spares no expense man...they do nothing small.

Ya if this rifle gets used any more than I expect it to, I'm springing for a 1-4x with a small reticle. Probably dot or like reticle. And I'm already looking at some ranges that allow some shoot and move and some shooting at distance.

TomMcC
01-08-15, 15:48
You might want to change out the clamp on gas block. They're not really known for their robustness. Screws stretch and break, hard to get a good gas seal...things like that.

Gooch_
01-08-15, 18:13
You might want to change out the clamp on gas block. They're not really known for their robustness. Screws stretch and break, hard to get a good gas seal...things like that.

No changing the gas block now.....the comp is pinned/welded. Plus I read everything about clamp ons from "they're the best" to "I won't use one ever"........jury is out if you ask me......will be forever.