PDA

View Full Version : Rear Takedown Pin Tightness

Neeglik
09-24-06, 13:52
Just got done building my new lower. The rear takedown pin is super tight though. When I combine the upper and lower, it is even worse. I cannot push the pin through by hand at all. Does it just need to be worked or do I have an out of spec pin?

FYI:
Stag Lower
CMT Upper
Bushmaster pins and springs

Thanks...

Boom
09-24-06, 14:02
Its possible something could be out of spec. Do you have another pin you can try from the other side to see if it will slide in?

Neeglik
09-24-06, 14:16
Don't have another pin to check it, but odds are that it is the pin, correct?

I'll go by one of the local shops this week and grab a spare pin and check it.

Any other suggestions or opinions??

Razoreye
09-24-06, 16:34
I lubed the heck out of mine and worked it back in forth a few times, then mated the lower/upper and after a few breakdowns it has loosened up enough to get out but is still tight, which is perfect for me.

Boom
09-24-06, 17:30
Just a hunch...Is the upper hitting the receiver extention when you close them? Its possible the pin is not spec, it's also possible the upper or lower pin holes are not aligned. My guess is that the upper receiver is hitting the extention and prevents the upper from fully seating. Take a close look maybe that is your problem.

Griz
09-24-06, 18:26
Stag and RRA lowers are usually a very tight fit in the rear lug area (on purpose I've been told). I usually put some jewelers rouge on the rear lug, open and close it a half dozen times to fit it, then clean up the rouge and lube it.

Neeglik
09-24-06, 18:51
It sounds like it is an inconvenience at worst. I can live with tightness, in reality, I prefer it. I just wanted to make sure that this wouldn't cause any additional stress or wear, or problems down the road.

Thanks guys...

svtar15
09-27-06, 15:48
The tighter the better. It is aggravating, but it doesn't hurt anything. It will wear a little over time and become easier to takedown.

45-Bravo
10-01-06, 06:58
On a more extreme note, I had purchased a stag upper and lower when they first came out (serial # under 100) and the upper would not close on the lower, no way no how. I actually had to file the back corners of the rear lug on the upper so it would close down into the lower all the way. Then the next problem, the rear pin was tight as hell. Had to use a small plastic hammer to get it in and out. Eventually the pin loosened. That was the worst case I ever ran into. Since then Stag has improved their fit, they are still tight but fit much better.

babob
10-04-06, 11:36
The tighter the better. It is aggravating, but it doesn't hurt anything. It will wear a little over time and become easier to takedown.

I would say that is true for a range rifle but for a duty weapon I sure as hell don't want to have to pull out a punch and possibly a hammer to get my weapon open.

I have a LMT that I still need to use a punch & hammer to get the rear pin out/ started. It goes all the way back in with a little force and has gotten better over time. Everytime I clean the rifle, the last thing I do is work the rear pin in and out 20 to 30 times.

You know it's all a conspiracy against "ACCUWEDGE" products. :p
(puts on tin foil hat)