PDA

View Full Version : The Best Custom Concealed Carry Holster Companies

echo5whiskey
01-04-15, 21:55
I'm sort of new to the concealed carry community, so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for high-quality, at least semi-comfortable custom IWB holster makers. As far as I know, no one mass produces IWB holsters for either of my handguns (IMI compact Baby Eagle, and Sig 1911 Carry Scorpion) unless I wanted to go with a bulky, generic "fits frames x"-x". Yes, I have tried the manufacturers' websites. I have an Alien Gear for my Sig, and it's alright, but I would like to know if there is anything better for my Eagle.

SeriousStudent
01-04-15, 22:35
Welcome to M4C.

I would start with this stickied thread called "A Complied List of Holster Makers".

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?34835-A-Compiled-List-of-Holster-Makers

You might drop a email to Dark Star Gear. He's pretty good about doing custom work, he has done some for me, and the turn-around time and price has been good.

echo5whiskey
01-04-15, 22:42
Welcome to M4C.

I would start with this stickied thread called "A Complied List of Holster Makers".

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?34835-A-Compiled-List-of-Holster-Makers

You might drop a email to Dark Star Gear. He's pretty good about doing custom work, he has done some for me, and the turn-around time and price has been good.

Awesome, thanks! I actually looked right past that one when I was looking through the threads. I'm still in a bit of shell-shock from all the info floating around here. I'll definitely check Dark Star out.

SeriousStudent
01-04-15, 22:45
No worries. There is a ton of really good stuff in the stickies. I learned a bunch from them when I first arrived.

Good luck with your holster, and enjoy your stay.

echo5whiskey
01-04-15, 22:53
No worries. There is a ton of really good stuff in the stickies. I learned a bunch from them when I first arrived.

Good luck with your holster, and enjoy your stay.

Many thanks.

MAUSER202
01-05-15, 21:18
Many thanks.

If you like traditional leather holster I have a few from High Noon, well made. Raven concealment are very well done also.

teutonicpolymer
01-06-15, 10:27
What do you find lacking in your Aliengear if I might ask?

Up1911fan
01-06-15, 21:01
I like JM Custom, Dale Fricke and DSG.

jparish62
01-06-15, 21:56
Since you are new to concealed carry there are a few things to consider. First, make sure you have a good belt. Second decide where you will carry (appendix, 3:00, 4:00, etc).

That said, JM Custom makes great holsters, but you pay for them. I found a company out of OK called F3 Holsters that made me a phenomenal AIWB kydex holster for under $40! Best concealing one I've ever had and one of the most comfortable next to my JM custom

G34Shooter
01-06-15, 23:19
After trying many holster makers over the years, I'm completely satisfied with JM Custom Kydex, Dark Star Gear and TT Gunleather depending on what specific holster I need.

RHINOWSO
01-07-15, 09:17
My holster lineup

OWB & IWB convertible Kydex with WML, dual vertical mag pouches - Raven Concealment "Phantom"
IWB leather line Kydex - Garrett Industries "Silent Thunder" (they make OWB too but I haven't tried them yet)
Pocket holsters for BUGS - Remora (synthetic), Meco (leather), and PJ Custom (Kydex)
Small IWB holsters for BUGs - Custom Carry Concepts "Versa Clip"
Horizontal Magazine Pouches - Dale Fricke - I would love to try a holster from him but have as of yet.

Lots of others out there as well.

fecnik
01-07-15, 12:29
I went with colorado holsters for a couple of reasons.

- i needed a belt that would support my glock 17 and trl-1 light
- i wanted to be able to carry it IWB/ OWB and attach it to my battle belt ( kinda like a 3 in one).
- price
- lead time

he seemed to fit the bill, so to speak. I should get it end of this week, early next week. (one week lead time).

echo5whiskey
01-07-15, 19:09
What do you find lacking in your Aliengear if I might ask?

The kydex itself seems well-made, though I have nothing to compare it to--it's my first kydex holster. The outer layer of the backing material is starting to tear and peel from repeated un-holstering and re-holstering (I assume). Their website does advertise a lifetime guarantee, so I will be looking into that. And please don't misunderstand, I'm not complaining about what I got. I am very happy with what I got for the price point, and it is very comfortable; I'm just curious to see if there is anything that is a little more durable, even if it's at a higher price.

echo5whiskey
01-07-15, 19:14
Since you are new to concealed carry there are a few things to consider. First, make sure you have a good belt. Second decide where you will carry (appendix, 3:00, 4:00, etc).

That said, JM Custom makes great holsters, but you pay for them. I found a company out of OK called F3 Holsters that made me a phenomenal AIWB kydex holster for under $40! Best concealing one I've ever had and one of the most comfortable next to my JM custom

Thanks! I'll definitely look them up. I keep my setup pretty much the same as my duty carry, just IWB instead of OWB. ...and I'm a southpaw, so I carry at about 8:00 or so.

I am looking for a belt, though. I'm tired of wearing a rigger's belt with my nice pants, Haha.

echo5whiskey
01-07-15, 19:28
I really appreciate all the tips. Some (like needing a good belt), I've already started learning from experience, but still appreciate nonetheless. As for the rest, I'm really happy that I have a general direction to do my homework toward.

Next question: Are there any advantages/disadvantages between kydex and leather. The only leather I've ever worn was for a replica Colt 1861 Navy, and it wasn't for concealing.

RHINOWSO
01-07-15, 23:17
Are there any advantages/disadvantages between kydex and leather. The only leather I've ever worn was for a replica Colt 1861 Navy, and it wasn't for concealing.
In my experience as a civilian carrying, I've found leather to be thicker, difficult / impossible to adjust, and harder to conceal. Hence the reason I didn't list any leather holsters on what I use, aside from a single leather pocket holster for my LCP.

Kydex is thinner, usually adjustable in some regard for cant and maybe depth. Leather lined Kydex is my favorite, because it's quieter when drawing and reholstering.

echo5whiskey
01-07-15, 23:53
Leather lined Kydex is my favorite, because it's quieter when drawing and reholstering.

By leather lined, are you talking abou the backing or is the inside of the kydex actually lined?

RedXd
01-08-15, 00:22
Like many after buying a drawer full of holsters I keep going back to IWB Kydex & leather made by Crossbreed.

echo5whiskey
01-08-15, 01:47
Like many after buying a drawer full of holsters I keep going back to IWB Kydex & leather made by Crossbreed.

I've heard some pretty good things about them, I just don't want to be that guy who buys a drawer-full. No offense, it's just that I've got a new little one on the way so I'm trying to be smart with the dwindling gear budget.

RedXd
01-08-15, 07:11
I've heard some pretty good things about them, I just don't want to be that guy who buys a drawer-full. No offense, it's just that I've got a new little one on the way so I'm trying to be smart with the dwindling gear budget.

Well as subjective as it is, the supertuck/mini is the most concealable and comfortable for ME for IWB. Paired with a good belt I can blindly recommend them to nearly anyone.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

j-ro
01-08-15, 09:12
Crossbreed

teutonicpolymer
01-08-15, 10:26
The kydex itself seems well-made, though I have nothing to compare it to--it's my first kydex holster. The outer layer of the backing material is starting to tear and peel from repeated un-holstering and re-holstering (I assume). Their website does advertise a lifetime guarantee, so I will be looking into that. And please don't misunderstand, I'm not complaining about what I got. I am very happy with what I got for the price point, and it is very comfortable; I'm just curious to see if there is anything that is a little more durable, even if it's at a higher price.

I am guessing you got the neoprene one which I do not have experience with. I have the regular one and I like it more than holster 2-3X more expensive. The leather quality is good, kydex molding is fine, price is cheap, and probably best of all which I really found lacking in other holsters was the use of metal belt clips.

You can try finding a better holster but you may be going on a wild goose chase unless you want a specifically different type. I think the Aliengear has all the right features for a hybrid IWB holster. Although it could stand to be a little more refined it is also one of the most affordable and best holsters out there I think.

I am pretty sure the Crossbreed construction is very similar to Aliengear but maybe a little more refined. It does cost about double and has a long ass waiting time though.

echo5whiskey
01-08-15, 13:26
Yes, I do have the neoprene one. It's layered to tbe back of a "synthetic leather" that is supposed to be more durable. It could very well be my pistol. It's not a standard design, so it may have some rough edges in just the wrong spots. Don't get me wrong, it still works. On my next day off, I'll try to contact them about it and see what they can tell me directly. Once I find out, I'll post it on here.

RCI1911
01-08-15, 13:42
I much prefer a leather holster vs. a leather/kydex hybrid in terms of comfort and concealability. If you want an all leather holster I really loved my Brommeland Gunleather Max-Con V when carrying a 1911. Lightweight, strong in the right areas and made a full size 1911 disappear, even when only wearing a t-shirt. Lead times for custom leather holsters is always a problem if you want it quick. If you can wait, Brommeland would get my vote.

qsy
01-08-15, 14:03
Ordered a supertuck from Crossbreed 12/27, shipped two days ago..... just sayin. YMMV

drg6654
01-08-15, 15:32
Kydex is thinner, usually adjustable in some regard for cant and maybe depth. Leather lined Kydex is my favorite, because it's quieter when drawing and reholstering.

gillian_seed
01-08-15, 16:13
I second everyone who has suggested kydex in this thread, the stuff is awesome.
As for custom holsters, Custom Carry Concepts has done 4 holsters for me, for three different guns, and I have been very pleased. Rich (the owner) does an outstanding job making exactly what I want, and the quality is great.

drg6654
01-08-15, 16:13
How is he with pricing?
I second everyone who has suggested kydex in this thread, the stuff is awesome.
As for custom holsters, Custom Carry Concepts has done 4 holsters for me, for three different guns, and I have been very pleased. Rich (the owner) does an outstanding job making exactly what I want, and the quality is great.

bjxds
01-08-15, 18:25
Crossbreed mini/supertuck and JM custom kydex, both IWB/OWB.

Crossbreed is very comfortable/concealable, takes a little more time putting on an off.

JM IWB very comfortable/concealable easy and quick on/off.
JM OWB The most comfortable, obviously less concealable, but not that much less than the iwb. Easily able to get away with just a sweatshirt over it.

As far as belts go, I have some thick leather and a Wilderness. I have found the slide style buckles offers many more levels of adjustment and therefore comfort as opposed to the standard buckle style.

gillian_seed
01-09-15, 11:40
His prices are very reasonable, it all depends on which model holster you want and if you want him to do custom modifications to it.

For instance, I wanted a holster that only covered the trigger guard for my USP (for easy slim carry). No company makes a model to fit the USP so I called Rich and he made one. I think it ran me $40.00 for that one. Which is great for how nice of a holster it is, and because it's something that's not even in his catalogue. He just made it for me. I was pleased to say the least. :cool:

I can post some pictures sometime soon if the OP wants me to.

(That was in reference to drg6654's post)

drg6654
01-09-15, 14:46
Anyone have thoughts on Remora??

echo5whiskey
01-09-15, 15:06
I can post some pictures sometime soon if the OP wants me to.

Go for it! I'd like to see some as well.

Street Survival
01-11-15, 10:04
Custom Carry Concepts = The GOLD STANDARD

urbantactic
01-11-15, 14:03
I have used Raven Concealment for the past five years, and have ordered holsters from a variety of manufacturers. The flexibility that comes with a Raven has done me well, and I have enjoyed trying the different attachment options offered by Raven.

Shao
01-11-15, 16:51
Someone was talking about leather lined kydex... I carry a AIWB leather lined kydex holster from Garrett Industries. Great customer service. Plus it's just a great holster. I would check them out. This is the one I use:

http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-slim-appendix-carry/

jamaicanj
01-11-15, 21:37
John Ralston from 5shot leather made a super comfortable appendix holster for my G17 with rmr. No regrets

BlaineD
01-11-15, 23:04
http://www.sawyerconcealment.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intransigent
01-13-15, 10:21
I went from a Dale Fricke archangel to a Custom Carry Concepts Shaggy for AIWB. I am very pleased with the Shaggy, it addressed the comfort issues I had with the Fricke. My archangel was the model without the foam block on the body of the holster. The Shaggy has a function to tuck the butt of the gun against the body which I find conceals very well for me.

Jesse H
01-13-15, 10:48
Anyone have thoughts on Remora??

Inexpensive and great pocket holsters. I've got one for an LCP that I've used as IWB several times, but it's mostly used as a back up pocket gun. I wouldn't be comfortable with it for a larger weapon. They collapse once the gun is drawn, making reholstering a bit tricky.

Off duty I'm always in a Milt Sparks Nexus holster for a G27 or G19. They've been around for a long time, aren't cheap, but as comfortable as wearing a gun can get.

JaegerOne
01-14-15, 23:24
For an OWB Kydex holster, the Raven Concealment Phantom excells.

jpmuscle
01-14-15, 23:41
The X concealment C model is one of my personal favorites.

http://www.flccw.com

ltcal94
01-18-15, 17:50
I swear by Alabama Holster in Daphne , Alabama. They make great kydex holsters .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gman44116
01-25-15, 10:03
SoKoKydex and G-Code get all my holster biz.

snichols28
01-27-15, 10:17
A lot of great holster makers out there. I have always been treated well by ColoradoHolster.com

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/snichols28/ColoradoSidearmor/XDs1-1.jpg

brickboy240
01-27-15, 11:16
big fan of the Raven Concealment Phantom right now....would buy another in a heartbeat!

RST Customer Rep
01-27-15, 11:19
You should check out Reign Tactical. Their holsters are functional works of art.https://www.reigntactical.com/

echo5whiskey
01-28-15, 16:28
Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Between this thread and the related sticky, I think I have about three years' worth of research to conduct with these companies. :thank_you2:

kremtok
01-28-15, 18:22
Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Between this thread and the related sticky, I think I have about three years' worth of research to conduct with these companies. :thank_you2:

If it helps, I'm not far away and I've got a few options on hand that I'd be willing to let you try out. Drop a line if you want details.

tmanker
01-28-15, 20:02
US Grunt Gear holster. It's the best holster I've used out of a dozen or so. I carry appendix and this keeps me from getting fat.

delford
01-28-15, 20:04
I confess to not reading the whole thread but I concur with mauser202 in post #6 that High Noon makes a well thought out line of IWB holsters. I have two Split Decision holsters and use one everyday with one of my .45 pistols. One has a 4" barrel and the other a 3" barrel and I wear it under a button down shirt @3:30.

ARonBoard
01-28-15, 21:02
Most recently I've ordered from reign tactical, gun craft, JM custom kydex and redwood tactical. All excellent offerings.

echo5whiskey
02-01-15, 17:31
If it helps, I'm not far away and I've got a few options on hand that I'd be willing to let you try out. Drop a line if you want details.

Mahalo, much appreciated. I PM'd you.

echo5whiskey
02-01-15, 17:35
I carry appendix and this keeps me from getting fat.

And there inlies my problem with appendix: I still have the remnants of my post-enlistment gut :lazy: