PDA

View Full Version : Million March

lalakai
06-30-08, 10:48
did a search and didn't see this topic covered, so hopefully i'm not repeating another thread. Nor can i take credit for this idea, as i read it in another forum first, but i like the idea, and think the idea should be spread to other gun forums.

Bottom line: can we organize well enough, to coordinate a strong showing, across the states, or at DC? Good organization and structure, with well spoken speakers (so that we don't fuel the "Gun Nuts" image), relatively free from the major supporters that would automatically be linked to such a march (EX: NRA, gun manufactors, ect.).

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31336

it's often been said that gun owners are their own worst enemies. we need to change that.

what are the opinions about a possible march?

KintlaLake
06-30-08, 12:21
Having organized (and asked to organize) large public demonstrations, it's my opinion that this is an image problem waiting to happen.

The role of the press -- which truly is the target "audience" for such a gathering -- is to report the news in the most interesting way possible. And the most interesting gun owners to capture on photo, audio and video, with all due respect to their passion for RKBA, may only serve to reinforce stereotypes held by the general public.

Among the demonstrations I've organized are numerous gatherings of motorcyclists -- from strength-in-numbers legislative parades to charity toy runs. Invariably, and despite our best efforts, the media have found the grittiest, most hygiene-challenged stereotypical soul for the evening news and page-one photo.

RIF: These two-wheel media magnets are brothers and sisters of mine whose passion for life and for the road I share and embrace. Still, I know that when trying to shape public perception, they can undo more than they do.

That's my opinion. Don't hate me 'cause I'm honest, eh? ;)

ZDL
06-30-08, 13:11
I'm against picketing.... but I don't know what to do about it......

(Mitch Hedburg joke)

I have no reasons to believe this so don't ask me to explain myself but I don't think it would do one bit of good.

ST911
06-30-08, 13:50
Having organized (and asked to organize) large public demonstrations, it's my opinion that this is an image problem waiting to happen...That's my opinion. Don't hate me 'cause I'm honest, eh? ;)

Yup, they wouldn't put the wife and kids on the front page, they'd pick a camo-clad mall ninja with a "from my cold dead hands", "I don't dial 911", or "insured by Smith and Wesson" tee shirt.

The concept is good, especially in proximity to Heller in an election year. Spread among the 50 states the math is easy.

A "Million Round March"
1,000,000 / 50 states = 20,000 rounds per state
20,000 rounds / 50 rounds per person = 400 attendees per state

lalakai
06-30-08, 13:55
no doubt, the media would view it as a feeding frenzie, and their photo ops would be of the most unflattering portraits available.

Perhaps instead of a public display, organizing a personal "display" would be easier. Target a week or two, when member's state and federal representatives would get several emails a day, along with phone calls. Nice easy going mail and polite phone calls, that would emphasize how many pro-gun individuals there are, and that we can be motivated of our own accord, to reach out and "touch" our elected officials.

It's frustrating to know there are so many individuals out there, wanting to be heard and show their support, but not being able to organize it in a unified force. maybe awareness is the first step, of the attempt to unite. Then again, maybe they'll fix my meds and i'll wake up..................:rolleyes: