PDA

View Full Version : WWII Pilot Finally Laid To Rest

T2C
01-05-15, 11:33
Major Peyton S. Mathis, Jr. crashed in the jungle on Guadalcanal on June 5, 1944, but the U.S. Army was unable to recover his remains at that time. He was recently laid to rest in in Greenwood Cemetery in Alabama.

God Speed to all those who have not returned home yet. Let's keep working at bringing them all home.

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/decorated-wwii-flier-laid-to-rest-in-alabama-1.322261

ABNAK
01-05-15, 20:42
Interesting. Served in both the European and Pacific theaters. Awesome Major! Godspeed to you.

I asked my in-laws (FIL is a WWII vet and MIL is old enough to remember) about post-war KIA relocation, as you see one in a cemetery every so often. Was told that after the war notices were sent out to Goldstar families that, when possible, they could elect to have their loved one returned to the U.S. for burial here. Most declined and chose to leave their loved ones where they laid.

My grandfather was a USMC vet of the Solomon islands and I have always maintained that when I retire I would like to travel there to see it for myself. Obviously, given the distances involved, it would behoove you to take several weeks to do it properly so that likely means when I retire!

SeriousStudent
01-05-15, 21:56
Fair winds and following seas, Major.

Moose-Knuckle
01-06-15, 00:16
Reminds me of a special I watched on the Military Channel (IIRC) about a DOD forensic team who is solely tacked with recovering the remains of warriors and bringing them back home from the field. Usually they find WWII Veterans from the Pacific Theater.