PDA

View Full Version : Elevator footage shows off-duty officer fumble gun before shooting self

Amp Mangum
01-05-15, 19:29
Why was he unnecessarily handling his pistol in the elevator?

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/over-the-rhine/erlanger-cop-darryl-jouett-elevator-footage-off-duty-officer-fumble-with-gun-before-shooting-self-in-stomach

I sure hope he is going to be ok.

docsherm
01-05-15, 19:30
Link does not work.

Amp Mangum
01-05-15, 19:31
Now try it.

Eurodriver
01-05-15, 19:33
He wanted to bag tons of fun.

Seemed pretty obvious to me.

Amp Mangum
01-05-15, 19:36
Good advice: http://defense-training.com/dti/recent-accidents/

docsherm
01-05-15, 20:46
Now try it.

It works and I am sorry that I watched it? WTF was he thinking? Was he showing his gun to the lady in the elevator?

Sam
01-05-15, 20:53
So many wrong:

The link said he was taking it out of a holster. Watching it the second time, it looked like he was trying to stuff it back in his coat pocket. Did he take it out of the holster so he could put it in the pocket for "easier access"? If that was the case, bad idea. His gun appeared to be a G26 or 27, carrying a striker fired gun in the pocket without a holster is bad juju as proven by the accident. If he was trying to holster it, that 25 year officer need to practice drawing and holstering from concealment a lot more. It took him several tries to get it out and he failed in putting it away.

Quit fooling with the gun trying to show off.

If you're losing control of a modern firearm, let it go, don't try to catch it. Modern quality handguns should be "drop safe". Unless you have a High Point, and if you have a High Point, you should be shot. :)

BTW, the link said he was out to dinner with his wife.

TAZ
01-05-15, 20:59
That's worse than the I'm he only one professional enough guy. At least that guy had some valid reason for handling his gun. WTF is the guy doing playing with a gun in the elevator while holding packages. What kind of training is happening at various academies these days.

HKGuns
01-05-15, 21:00
Incredibly stupid mistake.

This will sound a bit paranoid, but this is the reason I "generally" won't chamber a round while in my home without an absolute purpose.

I was going to check out a magazine / rifle interoperability issue for another member here, with a rifle and magazine combo I happen to have, I thought about chambering a round to fully test the function and decided to just provide the information I could, without chambering a round.

Stupid stuff happens all the time and I see no reason for unnecessary handling, especially in public places.

Sensei
01-05-15, 21:01
All you guys got it wrong. He had just watched Tombstone and was doing his best Johnny Ringo impersonation.

Inkslinger
01-05-15, 21:14
My pistol or my prick, I don't pull either out unless I intend to use it.

26 Inf
01-05-15, 22:11
He wanted to bag tons of fun.

Seemed pretty obvious to me.

The story said it was his wife.

I think he made an unwise decision to transfer the weapon from his on body carry holster (don't know what it was) to his coat pocket for hands on concealment when they went out into the parking garage from the elevator.

If that was it, he was at least thinking, not just the way I would.

PD Sgt.
01-05-15, 22:46
So many wrong:

The link said he was taking it out of a holster. Watching it the second time, it looked like he was trying to stuff it back in his coat pocket. Did he take it out of the holster so he could put it in the pocket for "easier access"? If that was the case, bad idea. His gun appeared to be a G26 or 27, carrying a striker fired gun in the pocket without a holster is bad juju as proven by the accident. If he was trying to holster it, that 25 year officer need to practice drawing and holstering from concealment a lot more. It took him several tries to get it out and he failed in putting it away.

Quit fooling with the gun trying to show off.

If you're losing control of a modern firearm, let it go, don't try to catch it. Modern quality handguns should be "drop safe". Unless you have a High Point, and if you have a High Point, you should be shot. :)

BTW, the link said he was out to dinner with his wife.

I agree with your assessment one hundred percent. If he was concerned about the accessibility of his pistol and his ability to react to a threat, he should not have been holding the leftovers in his support hand either.

In a public place, even an elevator with just your wife, it is not generally acceptable to be handling a firearm absent a threat or the likelihood a threat is imminent. Unneccessary handling of firearms just increases the risk of bad or unwanted things happening.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-05-15, 23:20
Another black man shot by a cop...

What is he saying to the woman? "Excuse me while I whip this out..."?

And if the door opens on a floor you don't expect?

MorphCross
01-06-15, 00:05

What is he saying to the woman? "Excuse me while I whip this out..."?

I'm laughing so hard right now.

And no, he did not "accidentally" shoot himself. He flourished his EDC and proceeded to ND into himself. This video needs to make it into every CC instructors curriculum as what not to do. While I do wish him a full healthy recovery he would have never ended up in that situation if left the F***ing booger pickers of the pistol in he first place.

Moose-Knuckle
01-06-15, 00:10

Oh snap!

Well fellas, at least he didn't squash the box of doughnuts . . .

l8apex
01-06-15, 00:22
Unbelievable. Should be taught in the academy that you shouldn't try to Kung fu snatch your gun out if the air as it falls. Wish him full recovery and a learned lesson.

SteyrAUG
01-06-15, 00:27
"Hey check out my cool gun...I'm an important person....BANG"

Hope he makes it through ok. And of course, absolutely 100% preventable and piss poor safe handling. At least he didn't shoot anyone else.

AKDoug
01-06-15, 02:26
It said in the article he was with his wife. It was quite obvious by the lady's reaction to the whole thing that she was with him. In fact, if you watch closely at the end while she was picking stuff up she appears to even pick up the brass. That being said, I have absolutely no clue what he was doing with the pistol. If you have safety concerns that warrant moving your pistol to an exterior pocket, you might just want to hand all those boxes to your spouse.

SteyrAUG
01-06-15, 02:34
It said in the article he was with his wife. It was quite obvious by the lady's reaction to the whole thing that she was with him. In fact, if you watch closely at the end while she was picking stuff up she appears to even pick up the brass. That being said, I have absolutely no clue what he was doing with the pistol. If you have safety concerns that warrant moving your pistol to an exterior pocket, you might just want to hand all those boxes to your spouse.

I can't imagine a coat pocket draw being any more effective than a draw from a holster under the coat. Seen a lot of guns go swimming in coat pockets.

Moose-Knuckle
01-06-15, 02:46
I can't imagine a coat pocket draw being any more effective than a draw from a holster under the coat. Seen a lot of guns go swimming in coat pockets.

Especially on an open jacket like this guy's who was unzipped.

Eurodriver
01-06-15, 05:19
My mistake. I didn't read the article, but it totally looked like he was trying to show off as the reason he took it out.

Averageman
01-06-15, 08:50
I don't know what he was trying to accomplish when he removed his pistol from its holster, but he had too many things going on at the same time.
I'm pretty guilty of over multi tasking, but I really think he obviously went way too far with this and paid the price. It could have ended much worse for them.

markm
01-06-15, 09:02
Is this east coast LE?

Jer
01-06-15, 10:49
"Complacency comes before the ND." -Me

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-06-15, 11:44

Especially when it is skinny dipping.

J-Dub
01-06-15, 12:23
Sometimes stupid hurts.....really really badly.

WTF was it out for anyway???? I've never just decided "hmmm ya I think I should pull my gun out while my hands are full for no reason"....of course I've never shot myself either...

1_click_off
01-06-15, 17:05
Looks to me.....

As soon as doors close he whips it out to adjust, coat falls in way, he pushes coat out of way to re-holster, coat gets back in the way, he thinks "oh shit, my floor is coming up", panics and starts stabbing for his holster and bang.

lunchbox
01-06-15, 18:18
"I'm the only one in the room professional enough"....

Sam
01-06-15, 20:46
Glad he wasn't carrying in the appendix position. All joking aside, this man is not the first to struggle with his garment while trying to holster and resulted in the discharge of the firearm. A couple years ago there was a story of a police officer holstering his Glock and got the "waist pull string" thingy on his jacket caught in the trigger guard that resulted in the gun going off and the bullet making a channel in his ass and back of his leg.

We all need to be aware of our gears (gun, holster) and garments. There should not be a rush to holster, slow is smooth, smooth is ...... lots of practice. Inferior holsters can get the wearer in trouble, accessories hanging off the cover garment can be dangerous and so is lack of proper training.

AKDoug
01-06-15, 22:52
Glad he wasn't carrying in the appendix position. All joking aside, this man is not the first to struggle with his garment while trying to holster and resulted in the discharge of the firearm. A couple years ago there was a story of a police officer holstering his Glock and got the "waist pull string" thingy on his jacket caught in the trigger guard that resulted in the gun going off and the bullet making a channel in his ass and back of his leg.

We all need to be aware of our gears (gun, holster) and garments. There should not be a rush to holster, slow is smooth, smooth is ...... lots of practice. Inferior holsters can get the wearer in trouble, accessories hanging off the cover garment can be dangerous and so is lack of proper training. I had a couple close calls with those cord locks and now they are completely gone from all my jackets. On Saturday I holstered up the tail of a polypro long john shirt with my G19. It was definitely one of those moments that I went "whoa" that was close.

Moose-Knuckle
01-07-15, 00:37
A couple years ago there was a story of a police officer holstering his Glock and got the "waist pull string" thingy on his jacket caught in the trigger guard that resulted in the gun going off and the bullet making a channel in his ass and back of his leg.

We all need to be aware of our gears (gun, holster) and garments. There should not be a rush to holster, slow is smooth, smooth is ...... lots of practice. Inferior holsters can get the wearer in trouble, accessories hanging off the cover garment can be dangerous and so is lack of proper training.

I had a couple close calls with those cord locks and now they are completely gone from all my jackets. On Saturday I holstered up the tail of a polypro long john shirt with my G19. It was definitely one of those moments that I went "whoa" that was close.

The only time I CCW OWB is when I walk my GSD at o' dark-thirty. I carry a G17 at 3 o' clock in a DSG Alpha kydex holster and find that the vast number of my jackets all have some form of cord locks on the interior to cinch the waist tighter if so desired. Not only do they pose a ND/AD hazard while reholstering but they also clack against the kydex making a lot of noise when walking/jogging and drawing attention. Something to consider when CCW OWB in cold weather.

T2C
01-07-15, 05:42
Why was he unnecessarily handling his pistol in the elevator?

That is a very good question and I would love to hear the off duty LEO's answer.

The video is full of teachable points.

I am glad he is going to be OK.