PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend an ACOG TA-50 series?

ram2390
06-30-08, 12:20
Just to preface this, this being my first post, I own a 14.5" Bushmaster A3 carbine. I've learned a crapload about ACOGs so far from this site, and I've narrowed it down to two models:

TA33-8 vs. TA50-4

I like the idea of the TA33 being a sort of jack of all trades ACOG, but I don't really like the fact that it would be flattop mounted, thereby eliminating my carry handle, which functions as backup iron sights, and I also feel that without my iron sights the TA33 will suffer in short ranges, distances of say 0-75 yards.
Granted, most of my shooting is 100-400 yards, but I'd still like to do <100 yard work if needed on the spot.

Not sure if you've had any personal experience with it, but the 3x24 crosshair reticle (TA-50 series) looks like my best option. For $850, I want some precision, so the dot/triangle doesn't really appeal to me.

Any big disadvantages you can think of with this particular set-up? Does the crosshair reticle function well on an ACOG, just as it does on a regular crosshair reticle scope?

Obvious advantages to me are:

-Carrying handle mounted, so I can use irons for <100 or >400, or if the ACOG fails (unlikely of course.)

-Best balance of precision and speed for 100 to 400 yard shooting.

Given I'm looking for the best balance of precision and speed from 100-400 yards that can be carrying handle mounted, can anyone recommend anything better?

At least on paper,the 3x24 Crosshair Reticle TA-50 looks the best. However the TA33 is tempting too, and I've read countless pages of TA-33 thread praising it, so no need for links guys, thanks though.

LettersFromEarth
06-30-08, 13:04
If you have the time and desire to LEARN how to use the ACOG then the 33 will not be a disadvantage to you. Im not tring to talk down on you , bro--the ACOG (and AccuPoints for that matter) are not like ANY other optics and folks buy into them and dont really "get" how to use them.
Also, dont discount the "triangle" reticle of the 50 series. Anything between 25 meters and 300 meters can be hit with it like they need to be hit. One thing that might surprise you, though--how small the reticle will look to you regardless of what version you go with.
Another thing to consider is re-sale. ACOG's are hot and you can move either one but I would think that the 33 is a more sought after optic than the 50 would be...at least for some. The same goes for the reticle type of the 50...chicks dig triangles!

ETA--the ranging "tree" of the 33 is made for use on flat tops so if you go that way trading / selling your carry handle for a BUIS wouldnt be a problem.

ram2390
06-30-08, 15:01
With the TA33 on my flattop, would I still have room for a backup rear iron sight?
I have a FSB already. Even If I did have room, wouldn't it be useless without tearing off the ACOG, since you cant co-witness with a magnification optic?
I still do like the idea of the TA33 though. And I suppose it could be carry handle mounted.

Iraqgunz
06-30-08, 15:33
You could remove the carry handle and mount the ACOG with a riser. I used my ACOG on an M16A4 previously with a rear BUIS. My ACOG was on a quick detach. If it was to get damaged or crap out I throw the lever and shove it on my pouch.

Currently I run the ACOG on my Noveske upper with rail mounted BUIS's. I think with some slight mods you could mount the ACOG and you would be happy with it.

With the TA33 on my flattop, would I still have room for a backup rear iron sight?
I have a FSB already. Even If I did have room, wouldn't it be useless without tearing off the ACOG, since you cant co-witness with a magnification optic?
I still do like the idea of the TA33 though. And I suppose it could be carry handle mounted.

ram2390
06-30-08, 16:26
Could I not mount the ACOG normally, without a riser, on an A3 rail?

Or are you saying that the riser would simply solve the FSB problem?

Ron S.
06-30-08, 20:29
Or are you saying that the riser would simply solve the FSB problem?

Correct. If you used a riser, you would presumably get a lower 1/3 cowitness.

LettersFromEarth
06-30-08, 20:54
With either the OEM mount or one like, for example, LaRue's, the FSB will be there but more like a "ghost image" and its not really a problem. With optics, red dots or those with some mag, its "target focus" and not front sight focus like it is with irons. So basicly your gonna be looking "past" or "through" the FSB and after a few rounds you wont even notice it.

Also, any number of folding backup sights will work with the 33 or 50 series ACOG's. My advice is to go to LaRue Tacticals webpage and look at his optic mount combos. you can even find a BUIS there if you want.

ram2390
06-30-08, 22:50
Cool. How is the reticle size? I've heard a few complaints that the TA33 is a little small.

LettersFromEarth
07-01-08, 14:53
ALL ACOG reticles "seem" small. In fact, the ones that are called "donut" recticle are, to me at least, "dot" reticles.

The ACOG line, for the most part, is GTG. But remember--they arent like grandpas old K series Weaver on his trusty '06. ACOGs require "something" from their user / owners that alot of the time they dont get. For some the lightbulb goes brite early in the process for others... Same with the 1.25-4 AccuPoint.

Just make sure its what you need first, bro. I myself am better served by a good Red Dot (I couldnt wait to ditch my ACOG NSN) and if i need to go out past 300m then I have a 240 gunner who Im friends with and that I out rank (lol) to help with that! YMMV

Ron S.
07-01-08, 17:54
ACOGs require "something" from their user / owners that alot of the time they dont get.

What might this be, Master Obi-Wan?

LettersFromEarth
07-01-08, 18:57
Why the "Bindon Aiming Concept", Ron. :-) Some folks "get it" from the start. Others, like me, struggle with it for sometime. Others just dont warm up to it for whatever reason.

Now, about the "Master Obi Wan" remark... :-)

DocGKR
07-01-08, 20:05
The only ACOG I'll use anymore is the TA-11.

Battl3fr0nt
07-03-08, 09:02
I would say go with the TA31F and if you want a 3X ACOG go with the TA-33.. The TA-11 is just to big and heavy.. the TA33 will do the same thing but it will be lighter / smaller and look better.. check out the TA31F it is imo the best of them all more power then the TA11 and it is lighter and smaller the TA31 is pretty much the ACOG along with the model for the 20" the TA31FA4 or some carp.. but if you have a 16" or a 14.5 then just go with the TA31F it has the same BDC as the TA31F M4 model.. you really cant go wrong with any acog but right now the best buy would be the TA31F or the TA33.. and yeah dont worry about your front sight.. once you learn the ACOG you will not even notice it..

C4IGrant
07-03-08, 10:12
Of the two mentioned, the only one to own is the TA33. Much better eye relief than than the TA50.

C4

beantamug
07-07-08, 23:00
Ram2390,

You can have your cake and eat it too. If you like the TA33 better, get it. If you want to mount it in your removable carry handle, do that too.

All ACOGs can be mounted in a carry handle,(except "special ring" models) that feature is built into the actual sight. The flat top mount that comes with the TA33 is an separate component, that is easily removed from the sight.

The built in carry handle mount has a see through channel so that you can still use the irons. The compact ACOGs sit nice and low in this application and work much better (and look much better) than full size ACOGs in a carry handle. The TA33 is built on a compact ACOG body. It is the only compact ACOG with a bullet drop compensating reticle.

Of course, if you decide that you don't like it up there, you can always spend a little extra on a quick detach mount for the flat top and get a flip up rear BUIS. But you might as well try working with what you have first. The only downside is that the bullet drop compensating reticle will be slightly off because the sight will be higher above the bore in the carry handle than it would have been on the flat top adapter.