PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunting in FL?

WillBrink
01-06-15, 08:02
Anyone hog hunt in FL? I knew hog hunting was common in TX and some other southern states due to feral hogs being a big problem in those areas, but buddy showed me some pics from a hog hunt in FL. I'm looking to be in Southern FL for an extended period of time, and was interested in possible hog hunting. I didn't think of FL as a place for feral hogs, but it makes sense really. Where do you hunt?

MBtech
01-06-15, 20:47
There are a lot of outfitters and guide services down there if you do some searching, I have not hunted hogs in FL yet personally but always looking for potential hot spots with high population and success rates. My father n law lives down in Naples, I'll see if he may know any buddys that might have any info.

WillBrink
01-07-15, 08:48
There are a lot of outfitters and guide services down there if you do some searching, I have not hunted hogs in FL yet personally but always looking for potential hot spots with high population and success rates. My father n law lives down in Naples, I'll see if he may know any buddys that might have any info.

I'll check into it fir sure. Wanted to see if anyone here had some personal experience in FL. Unlike TX, etc, FL has gators and now huge snakes to keep the hog population down. :)

FloridaWoodsman
01-09-15, 03:10
Pick a region in Florida on Craigslist.org and search for "hog hunt". That should turn up a few possibilities.

The professional guides keep the hog population going.

WillBrink
01-09-15, 07:25
Pick a region in Florida on Craigslist.org and search for "hog hunt". That should turn up a few possibilities.

The professional guides keep the hog population going.

I had thought the goal was to eradicate them being invasive and destructive. Do they breed and release them or have them in a fenced in property?

MBtech
01-09-15, 12:28
I had thought the goal was to eradicate them being invasive and destructive. Do they breed and release them or have them in a fenced in property?

Farmers want the darn things GONE they cost them crazy amounts of money. I guess the guide services are making money from them and likely to be more selective on "trophys" to keep business coming back. I'm all for using a giude especially in unfamiliar areas, but I'd also like to be doing it to help out the farmers and environment in the process. Me personally I'd never go to a place that is a fenced in preserve and not fair chase. And snakes that are big enough to eat a small pig just gives me the heebie jeebies:fie:

FloridaWoodsman
01-09-15, 16:16
I haven't used the hunting services myself, but from what I've heard, they keep the hogs fed to keep them around so they can make their living. I don't think they could afford to build fences capable of keeping them contained. It's been over a decade since I've seen any signs of hogs on my rural property (near a preserve) and that's probably because all the neighbors are hunters.

So is it a fair hunt when they know where the hogs gather for food? I'll leave that to you. I hear they charge, in part, by the number and size you take. It gives you a choice of how to bring home the bacon - a young tender one, or a large trophy size. Rules for taking hogs on private land are pretty minimal, but not like Texas where you can go after them with helicopters and machine guns.

Outlander Systems
01-09-15, 17:16
I'm going hog hunting tomorrow, but I'm not in Florida.

It's my understanding that the bulk of the porcines are in Central/North FL.

brown3345
01-09-15, 18:11
Link to Florida fish and Wildlife Hog hunting page. http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/wild-hog/ Good info. I have had good luck calling these state agencies up directly and getting accurate info on where the largest concentrations of game are located before leaving for a hunt.

floridajpr@mail.com
02-21-15, 10:36
I was born in Florida and have lived here most of my life, except when I was in the Military. Florida has an abundance of hogs around the whole state. Just Google "Florida Hog Hunting" and start shopping!

rayhawk
03-13-15, 08:30
This sounds like a lot of fun. I've never hunted before, so forgive my ignorance but is it ok to hunt hogs with a 5.56? I see on the fwc site that you can only have 5 round mags, is this true on private land (guided hunts) as well? How big of a hog can you safely take with a 5.56? What are typical shot distances?

MBtech
03-13-15, 08:44
This sounds like a lot of fun. I've never hunted before, so forgive my ignorance but is it ok to hunt hogs with a 5.56? I see on the fwc site that you can only have 5 round mags, is this true on private land (guided hunts) as well? How big of a hog can you safely take with a 5.56? What are typical shot distances?

Different states may have different laws for mag capacity

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?137754-223-enough-for-a-Hog

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?94628-223-Barnes-70-Grain-TSX-Performance

223/5.56 is plenty good enough for hogs

rushca01
03-13-15, 08:51
Leaving for Arcadia FL tomorrow to hog hunt, fingers crossed.

MBtech
03-13-15, 08:55

Good luck man! Bring home the bacon!

rayhawk
03-13-15, 09:02

I assume you are doing a guided hunt?

rushca01
03-13-15, 09:09
I assume you are doing a guided hunt?

We are sub letting 3000 acres down there. The lease holder is meeting us Sunday to show us around, we will be there for 5 days.

rayhawk
03-13-15, 09:37
We are sub letting 3000 acres down there. The lease holder is meeting us Sunday to show us around, we will be there for 5 days.

Oh nice. Are you only hog hunting?

OBXDiveguy
03-13-15, 14:48
On private land in FL, pretty much anything goes. You can use .223, 9mm, spear, knife, and probably even wrestle it to death if that's your thing.

With dogs involved, a typical shot is less than 20 yards. There's places with feeders, and stands set about 50 yds away.

WillBrink
03-13-15, 17:03

Was my invite lost in the mail? :cool:

tgizzard
03-13-15, 17:52
You can hunt hog year round with no bag limit or license, so long as you do it on private land. I'm sure public land is little more regulated, but I never bothered to look into it. My wife's cousin hunts them with pack dogs and uses only a knife to bring the hog down after his dogs get the hog pinned. He's insane!

MBtech
03-13-15, 18:15
You can hunt hog year round with no bag limit or license, so long as you do it on private land. I'm sure public land is little more regulated, but I never bothered to look into it. My wife's cousin hunts them with pack dogs and uses only a knife to bring the hog down after his dogs get the hog pinned. He's insane!

That's hardcore man! A guy I used to work with was hunting hogs in Tenn and there was a crew there filming a hunt. Camera man got a tusk ran from his ankle to groin and almost bled to death. I'll stick with my SCAR 17.